CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Carnival Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/)
-   -   Another missing person on cruise ship? (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/335053-another-missing-person-cruise-ship.html)

hawkeye 68 June 20th, 2007 03:07 PM

Another missing person on cruise ship?

Has anyone else heard about the missng man off a royal caribbean ship last monday. His shoes were found on deck, but he is missing. He was cruising with his family and was last seen 100am or so. Does it seem there is more news about people missing from cruise ships now or what?

ferrangi June 20th, 2007 04:33 PM

I have not heard about that, but I say stick to the buddy system... oh yeah, that only works if you're not hangin over the railing... LOL

Michelle1959 June 20th, 2007 05:02 PM

I wonder if there is foul play involved in these disappearances or if people are now discovering an easier way to die than stepping in front of a commuter train. Probabaly half and half. The falling overboard is all user error - drunk stupid fools

thecruisequeen June 20th, 2007 05:32 PM

YEP MORE PEOPLE ARE FALLING OVERBOARD. 24 YEAR OLD MAN OFF THE FREEDOM OF THE SEAS ON MONDAY.

HOW DOES ONE FALL OVERBOARD???

1. TOO MUCH DRINKING :roll:
2. SOMEONE GIVES YOU A PUSH (MAYBE THE SPOUSE WANTS TO CASH IN ON THE LIFE INSURANCE POLICY. :shock:
3. TRYING TO REENACT lEONARD DICAPRIO'S TITANIC SCENE :-?

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

IBCRUZIN' June 20th, 2007 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thecruisequeen
YEP MORE PEOPLE ARE FALLING OVERBOARD. 24 YEAR OLD MAN OFF THE FREEDOM OF THE SEAS ON MONDAY.

HOW DOES ONE FALL OVERBOARD???

1. TOO MUCH DRINKING :roll:
2. SOMEONE GIVES YOU A PUSH (MAYBE THE SPOUSE WANTS TO CASH IN ON THE LIFE INSURANCE POLICY. :shock:
3. TRYING TO REENACT lEONARD DICAPRIO'S TITANIC SCENE :-?

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

I don't get it. As much as it costs to cruise on the Freedom of the Seas and this young fools wastes his ticket by falling overboard. :evil: :oops: :shock:

brneyes June 20th, 2007 06:38 PM

I hadn't heard of that incident recently, and I'm sure my husband would have mentioned it to me (he listens to CNN and etc. all the time), if he had heard of that.

Where did you hear this from? The news or a rumor???

Brneyes

thecruisequeen June 20th, 2007 07:04 PM

HE LOST HIS LIFE AT A YOUNG AGE OF 24 AND FOR WHAT DRINKING/PARTYING.

:( :( :( :( :( :(

thecruisequeen June 20th, 2007 07:07 PM

Passenger Missing On 'Freedom Of The Seas'
24-year-old Passenger Last Seen Early Monday Morning
Air And Sea Search Suspended Until Tuesday
(CBS4) MIAMI A cruise ship passenger last seen resting on his stateroom balcony has disappeared from the Royal Caribbean ship Freedom of the Seas somewhere between Miami and San Juan. The cruise line said it is investigating and is working with the US government on the disappearance.

The 24-year-old passenger, whose name was not made public by the cruise line, was last seen early Monday morning by his brother and a friend. He was first reported missing by his family about 7 hours later, just after 8:30 a.m.

Royal Caribbean contacted the FBI and the US Coast Guard, even though the ship was in international waters off the island of Eleuthera at the time of the apparent disappearance.

The cruise line said a number of announcements were made aboard the ship throughout the day, and searches had been conducted, but the man was not fund.

Freedom of the Seas, one of the newest ships sailing for Royal Caribbean, has reversed course and is helping with the search.

The Coast Guard has suspended an air search of the area until Tuesday.

"Our most profound hope is that this young man and his family will be reunited as quickly as possible," said Adam Goldstein, President of Royal Caribbean International.

The cruise line is based at the Port of Miami.

maxibluz June 20th, 2007 07:33 PM

This is the latest update in my local newspaper. The missing person lives/lived about an hour from us here in NC.

http://wral.com/news/local/story/1516271

Kuki June 20th, 2007 07:44 PM

It's very likely a case of copy cats.... messed up minds thinking about suicide read about others, and somehow the twisted mind thinks news coverage of their "event" makes it more worth doing, than some other "more quite" means of taking their own lives.
"Death by cruise ship". :cry:

If every suicide in America got the same coverage, one would think it's not safe to live anywhere.

thecruisequeen June 20th, 2007 08:25 PM

TOO BAD HE DID NOT DO IT TOWARDS THE END OF THE CRUISE THIS WAY HE WOULD HAVE HAD MORE CRUISING DAYS!
SHIP DEPARTED SUNDAY AND HE FALLS OVERBOARD ON MONDAY :-?

kentuckygirl June 26th, 2007 08:46 PM

We were on the Valor last week and the Captain had to turn out ship around and go assist the Freedom of the Seas with their search and rescue operation. They missed their port of St. Thomas all together because they got so behind time wise-we were 1 hour late into St. Thomas. The final night of our cruise someone fell off the Valor while we happened to be up on deck--the ship's crew did an awesome job and the man was rescued. It took an hour to find him in the darkness. An eventful week for people falling overboard!!

cruzaddict June 26th, 2007 08:51 PM

What was the reason for the man falling overboard on the Valor? Since he was rescued I thought the story may have been spread through the ship.

I just can't imagine falling overboard :shock: :o you'd have to be trying really hard or be insanely out of it (drunk, high, etc.)

kentuckygirl June 26th, 2007 08:54 PM

We heard that it was a 30 year old man and alcohol was involved (what a surprise)-also heard he jumped on purpose but I don't know if this is true.

misguidedangel June 26th, 2007 09:51 PM

Just when ships start to make the cabins worthwhile to stay in other than sleeping/getting dressed, fools start to do stupid things by jumping/falling overboard. I read where people attepted to go from balcony to balcony (up down, or beside) and then realize when they hit the water it wasn't a good idea. I have to wonder if people are thinking if I stand on this chair or table will the view get better? NO, it means you could fall over easier!!

I always think safety first, I don't goof off on the balcony, no, I'll hang on loosely just in case....

brneyes June 27th, 2007 10:39 AM

I'm curious, and a thought just passed my mind :-? , if the person had insurance coverage that went overboard, and they either fell overboard because of drugs/drinking, etc., I wonder if the insurance would pay out on them :?:

IBCRUZIN' June 27th, 2007 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brneyes
I'm curious, and a thought just passed my mind :-? , if the person had insurance coverage that went overboard, and they either fell overboard because of drugs/drinking, etc., I wonder if the insurance would pay out on them :?:

The short answer is no. Those travel policies have all kinds of disclaimer that would apply in the case of "death by misadventure" due to either illegal activity (drugs) or irresponsible behavior (liquor, jumping off balcony, etc.)

The person's life insurance would probably pay after they dragged out an investigation to make sure it was not intentional suicide.

brneyes June 28th, 2007 06:53 PM

Yes, I'm sure you are right. It would probably be "printed" in the fine :-? print, that we NEVER seem to want to read. :idea: