Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 23rd, 2007, 07:33 AM
First Mate

Default download digital camera to my own cd:

if I bring my own cd rom and bring it to the ship's photo lab, will it cost me less to have them download from my digital camera memory card to the cd as opposed to using a cd they provide?
Sponsored Links
Old June 23rd, 2007, 08:03 AM
Captain

Can't you just leave the photos in the camera and burn your own CD when you get home, or doesn't your computer burn CDs? Some folks suggest having a couple smaller memory cards opposed to one large. This way if the camera is lost or stolen all photos are not. Also, most DVD players will play CDs with jpg photo files so you can put on a little slide show in your living room when you get home. I can tell you're hopelessly addicted already and you haven't left yet.
Glory (eastern) 12/2006
Destiny 01/2009
Old June 23rd, 2007, 10:28 AM
First Mate

yes I can burn a cd at home but I want to burn one every evening on the 3 nights of the cruise just to have a backup in case my memory card goes bad. it's relatively new and huge (2 gig) - i don't expect any problems but I'd like to have a complete backup anyway
Old June 23rd, 2007, 12:29 PM
Captain

I take my laptop and burn as I go. It is also a nice little treat to give your table mates a cd of table pictures you've taken throughout your cruise. I use it in the cabin to listen to cds and occasionally when we just want to relax we'll watch movies, ( sometimes out on our balconey.
ROMANS 8:28

VIKING SERENADE 1993
HOLIDAY 1995
HOLIDAY 1997
HOLIDAY 1998
ECTASY 1999
ELATION 2000
STAR PRINCESS 2002
SPIRIT 2003
NCL STAR 2004
PRIDE 2005
PRIDE 2006
PARADISE 2007
MS OOSTERDAM 2008
SPLENDOR 5/2010

Carnival Splendor
Old June 23rd, 2007, 12:55 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by michellete1959
if I bring my own cd rom and bring it to the ship's photo lab, will it cost me less to have them download from my digital camera memory card to the cd as opposed to using a cd they provide?
You can try but I strongly doubt that they will accept the CD or give you a price break.

Here is the reason: They buy their CD's in bulk and the cost is about $.05 (a nickel) per CD. There is no reason for them to give you a break because you have your own.

CD's are now the floppy disks of the 90's

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old June 23rd, 2007, 03:42 PM
First Mate

ok thanks for the tip MIke.

I don't want to bring my laptop along and I guess I"ll just have them do a cd for me each day as a backup precaution
Old June 24th, 2007, 10:48 AM
Welcome Newcomer

I have never had a memory card go bad. I'm not saying that it can't happen but the chances are pretty low.. As cheap as memory cards are these days if you are worried get a few cards. I have bought 2 gig cards for $15.
Old June 24th, 2007, 01:55 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruise-Crazy
I have never had a memory card go bad. I'm not saying that it can't happen but the chances are pretty low.. As cheap as memory cards are these days if you are worried get a few cards. I have bought 2 gig cards for $15.
I agree: It's always worth it to have multiple cards for extra pictures and backup.

I haven't found a 2 GB card for $15 like C-C but I've found them for around $30.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old July 1st, 2007, 12:26 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Also, watch out for the cheap brands, I have had trouble with brands like AData
Old July 1st, 2007, 06:23 PM
Captain

A tip that someone gave me once was to either download my card to my laptop or have the photo shop make a cd. For the reason that with larger cards depending on the camera the more data on the card the slower the response time or refresh time is when you take a picture. I do love taking my laptop. Then I can make a photo show as I go. Then email it to family and friends when I get home. The connection on the ship is to pricey for me. I have also brought along my little photo printer so I could print and give pictures to people I meet on board. It is fun to print pix to give to table mates.
7- Sapphire Princess
6-Golden Princess
5-Carnival Paradise
4-Royal Caribbean-Monarch of the Seas
3-Carnival Glory
2-Carnival Spirit-Richard Simmons Cruise to Lose
1-Carnival Inspiration - Richard Simmons Cruise to Lose
Old July 1st, 2007, 08:01 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to Honeybear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUSAN CURTIS
I take my laptop and burn as I go. It is also a nice little treat to give your table mates a cd of table pictures you've taken throughout your cruise. I use it in the cabin to listen to cds and occasionally when we just want to relax we'll watch movies, ( sometimes out on our balconey.
Okay, I hate to show my ignorance but how do you get the pics from your camera card to your laptop? I understand how to make a CD on the laptop. You have a great idea if I can just figure out how to do it.
the SENSATION

"Friends are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly."
Old July 1st, 2007, 08:38 PM
Passenger

Since I have to take my laptop anyway (can't get away from business altogether ever, but it's my company and my employees will know not to contact me with trivialites) I am going to take my HP photo printer and a small supply of paper. Unless of course, I find out that the photo shop can do print quickly and not too much $$.

I will want printed pics for my bro as he does NOT do computers and will be across the state (and Texas is big one) when we get home.

These little HP photo printers are great. Have traveled with it before and it is lightweight, and takes up very little space. And my memory card goes right in for the "quick prints" perhaps for "new friends" on the ship.

I have learned so many smart packing tips on these forums, that I will have room for something that takes less room that a pair of ladies shoes.. lol

Old July 1st, 2007, 08:46 PM
Cruise Maniac

Okay, I do have one of those. I didn't think of that because I hardly ever use mine, oh so SLOW! lol. I thought maybe you found a way to put that camera card into your laptop, I turned mine ever which way and "I" did not see a slot! . Thanks.
the SENSATION

"Friends are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly."
Old July 1st, 2007, 08:51 PM
Passenger

As far as downloading to your laptop/computer, you should have a USB cable that came with your camera and that cable along with the supplies software will download the pics into the folder of your choice.

You really don't even need the software, or I didn't, unless you want to edit the pics.

Hope this helps.

The cruise stuff, i am a newbie.

The techie stuff, I have a clue, sometimes, as I am a 54 year old techie nutcase.

And I must must start an E-hab organization for all of those who are just as addicted to ebay as we may become to cruising. lol

Old July 1st, 2007, 09:54 PM
Admiral

when you connect your digital camera to your laptop with the USB cable, your camera becomes your computers E or F drive. You can then go to My Computer, click on that drive, get to the directory the photos are in, and then copy and paste them all to a directory on your C drive. Think of your camera sort of as the old floppy diskette that used to go in your A or B drive. I neve use the software that comes with my digital cameras. For photo cropping and editing I use Adobe Photo Deluxe, which came with my Canon Scanner. Then I use a program a bought years ago called Flip Album to put my photos into an album and burn it to a cd. I send it to my family and they can click on each page to flip through them on their computer.
Old July 1st, 2007, 10:57 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle1959
Flip Album to put my photos into an album and burn it to a cd.
This sounds very interesting. Did you buy this from a computer store, Wal-mart, or did you download it from the inter-net? Is it still available?
the SENSATION

Old July 1st, 2007, 11:01 PM
Passenger

www.flipalbum.com

looks like they have a trial

and then the Standard version runs $29.95

Old July 1st, 2007, 11:03 PM
Cruise Maniac

Thank you so much! I'll work on that tomorrow. I also appreciate your fast response.
the SENSATION

Old July 2nd, 2007, 08:09 AM
First Mate

I think a great program to download and manipulate pictures is Picasa2 from Google.

Google it and download it for free.

Brian

Sensation
Old July 2nd, 2007, 12:36 PM
Admiral

yes, you beat me to it. I love flip album. you can add music to it and put a photo on the cover, it's a great way to send a digital album on cd!
Old July 2nd, 2007, 02:15 PM
Cruise Maniac

It sounds like this is the way to go! I'm going to download it and check it out as soon as DH goes to work and I have a few hours to play with it. I sure thank you all for your input, thanks to you all.
the SENSATION

Old July 2nd, 2007, 07:35 PM
Captain

Laptops are great. Mine is an HP and has the ports on the left side for memory cards just like the photo printer. Also, when we went swimming with the dolphins. One of us bought the photo cd and then we copied it to my laptop. Now we all have copies.
7- Sapphire Princess
6-Golden Princess
5-Carnival Paradise
4-Royal Caribbean-Monarch of the Seas
3-Carnival Glory
2-Carnival Spirit-Richard Simmons Cruise to Lose
1-Carnival Inspiration - Richard Simmons Cruise to Lose