Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 1st, 2007, 09:02 PM
Captain

Default Cruise must pack items.

I have learned after over packing. Keep it light. Only pack cloths that I enjoy wearing. If I'm not comfy I won't wear it. Why lugg it if you won't wear it.

things I always bring:

small night light
small first aide kit
meds, asprin, imodium, pepto, anticid
fabreeze
air freshener
zip loc bags. Various sizes.
stain stick
laundry soap in zip lock pre measured
fabric sheets (I toss them in my suitcase. they keep my cloths fresh then I can use them in the laundry.)
Rubber bands
safty pins
sewng kit
extension cord w/multiple outlets
battery charger
7- Sapphire Princess
6-Golden Princess
5-Carnival Paradise
4-Royal Caribbean-Monarch of the Seas
3-Carnival Glory
2-Carnival Spirit-Richard Simmons Cruise to Lose
1-Carnival Inspiration - Richard Simmons Cruise to Lose
Sponsored Links
Old July 1st, 2007, 11:33 PM
Admiral

OK but I would chuck the Fabreeze.
Adventure Of The Seas-05
Navigator Of The Seas-04
Carnival Paradise-04
Carnival Pride-03
Sea Princess-02
Soverign Of The Seas-02
Carnival Imagination-01
Carnival Destiny-00
Carnival Fascination-97
Big Red Boat-93
Nordic Prince-82
Old July 2nd, 2007, 07:18 PM
Captain

It's one of MY must pack items. What?would one of yours be? I bring the Fabreeze because I can stand the smell of cigarette smoke. And eventhough we get non smoking rooms on ships and in hotels. I can smell the smoke. And, I also have been in rooms/cabins where my room was smoking but my neighbors wasn't. P--U... so I use the fabreeze which makes the room nicer for me.

I'm curious to hear the little things others bring to make a trip easier for themselfs.
7- Sapphire Princess
6-Golden Princess
5-Carnival Paradise
3-Carnival Glory
Old July 2nd, 2007, 08:32 PM
Admiral

I like your list! O.K., the one thing I must bring.....

At home I have my make-up in a container so I can grab exactly what I want, without having to dig for it. I have a tray that I have glued several glasses to it (to hold all those colorful pencils and brushes) , so I can keep my make-up organized. I know the men won't find this useful, but I won't leave home without it!

I also always bring Downey Wrinkle Release -- great stuff!
Mariner of the Seas

HAL Statendam Alaska Cruise Tour - 09/09/12; Disney Magic - 12/01/12; Allure of the Seas - 05/26/13
Old July 2nd, 2007, 10:46 PM
Captain

Hi Darlene,
That sounds great. I know how important it is to be organized. Especially in a cabin. Oh a couple of my other must pack items are:

Shout Wipes
Shout Stain Stick

I can tend to be a bit of a clutz..

Happy Cruisin
Carol
7- Sapphire Princess
6-Golden Princess
5-Carnival Paradise
3-Carnival Glory
Old July 3rd, 2007, 09:49 PM
Passenger

We brought insulated mugs to fill up with ice tea or pour our soda into. They kept our drinks nice and cold by the pool.
That was my must have...oh and my motion sickness pills that I NEVER thought I would need but DID! and thank God they worked!
Old July 4th, 2007, 12:46 AM
First Mate

Large Thermal Mugs have been awesome on our two cruises.

I wouldn't leave them at home for anything now.

Of course, the collapsible rolling cooler, for keeping frosty beverages and water in our cabin.

Bill
Sept. 18, 2010 -
Sept. 19, 2009 -
Inspiration - Jan. 10, 2010- Grand Cayman, Cozumel
Freedom - February 8th, 2009 - Key West, Grand Cayman, Ocho Rios Jamaica
Glory - September 8th, 2007 - Key West, Cozumel, Progresso, Nassau
Sensation - Freepor-Nassau
Jan. 28th, 2007 -
Sept. 10th, 2006 -
Old July 4th, 2007, 02:53 PM
Beginner

I always take a small pad of post-it notes. They are great if you need to leave a note for your cabin steward or cabin mates.

Also a hi-lite pen to mark things in the daily Capers I want to see/do.
Old July 4th, 2007, 04:53 PM
Admiral

I would say the technophobes, our toys/accessories, especially digital camera that has high megapixel, good audio/video capability, the largest possible memory card (or mlutiples), and a backup battery,and of course battery charger. I have a relatively new Olympus FE-230, with 3 gig worth of memory cards, a charger, and just ordered a backup battery so I can have both fully charged every day. The battery is strong enough to take 250-300 photos before the charge wears out, but I will take probably take more than that, including a bunch of very short 5-10 second video clips. I'm leaving in 3 weeks and it's backordered by 7 days, but I should have it in time. Don't know when we'll be able to cruise again, it will be many years probably, so I'm going to document every inch of the ship, the excursions, etc... Almost. 8)
Old July 4th, 2007, 05:06 PM
First Mate

Post-its are a great idea! (thanks luckysll)

The only other thing not already listed that is on my must-pack list is a can of Lysol. I like to spray the entire bathroom and most of the cabin (carpets, spreads, etc.) before we unpack. I'm sure they are probably fine, it just makes me more comfortable.

Old July 4th, 2007, 09:06 PM
First Mate

Default Shampoo

When we cruised on NCL there were dispensers in the shower... one for conditioner and one for shampoo? I wasn't aware of this and ended up bringing a bottle of each in my luggage. Are these dispensers also on CCL ships?
Old July 5th, 2007, 10:12 AM
Passenger

I just got back from my first cruise. I made a list of all the things that MUST be taken, gathered from various cruise websites. I ended up taking LOTS of UNNECESSARY items. Here's the ones I really used: a multi-plug strip for recharging cameras, phones, etc; a plastic toothbrush holder with suction cups that stuck to the mirror; a yellow highlighter for marking the things we wanted to do each day; and the MOST useful--the soft-side, roll-on cooler. Seriously, I could have taken one full suitcase less if I had left most of the unnecessary stuff at home.
Old July 5th, 2007, 11:41 AM
Captain

Default Packing...

Just remember the old saying of experienced travelers....Pack only HALF the stuff you think you need (clothes other personal items etc.) but take TWICE the money you think you need!!!

Kind of make sense because between the shops on the ship and the shops/stores in the ports, there isn't much you can't get if you absolutely find you can't live without it once you start your cruise...Granted, you might pay a bit more.
Old July 5th, 2007, 11:59 AM
Cruise Maniac

On our 1st cruise last year, I thought this was an odd "must bring" item, but I did it anyway....at the dollar store or wal mart....they have collapable mesh laundry bags, i got 2, they fit flat at the bottom of my suitcase. After seeing how small the room was and not being able to keep our luggage out in the open, we used 1 for white clothes, 1 for dark, it was all separated & if we had to make a run to the laundry it was already sorted . When we packed, i just "flatted" it out with the clothes still in it & put in an empty suitcase...made laundry duty at home a little easier.

Conquest, September, 2009
Fantasy, July, 2009
Fantasy, July, 2008
Fantasy, June, 2008
Fantasy, September, 2007
Ecstasy, September, 2006
Old July 5th, 2007, 01:41 PM
Passenger

We did the same thing on our first cruise last month, Nomad. We could have saved a suitcase with all the extras be brought based on packing lists, etc, in our obsessing reading (lurking) of the CM boards. DH is in the process of re-editing that list to cut it down for our next cruise. We only want to have to lug along junk we'll actually use. Leave more room for souveniers.

The thing we did find very useful that we learned from someone here (maybe Luanne or mstill?)....
clothespins

The shower curtains tend to be pretty flimsy and weighing them down keeps them from blowing around and splashing water around the bathroom.
That's definitely a must-keep on our list.

Carnival Inspiration June 2007 - Grand Cayman & Cozumel
Dawn Princess August 2007 - North to Alaska
Old July 5th, 2007, 08:06 PM
kookylabooka

Default Re: Shampoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumofny
When we cruised on NCL there were dispensers in the shower... one for conditioner and one for shampoo? I wasn't aware of this and ended up bringing a bottle of each in my luggage. Are these dispensers also on CCL ships?
Yes.
Old July 6th, 2007, 12:19 AM
Admiral

I would not take any of the items mentioned on the list.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old July 6th, 2007, 12:52 AM
Passenger

The single most brilliant tip I learned here before my cruise last year, was to take one of those clear plastic over-the-door shoe thingies. We hung ours on the inside of our bathroom door and kept shampoo, toothpaste, deoderant, razors, etc... right there. It was handy to the shower, kept everything organized and easy to see what was where. My best friend (cruisemate) agreed it was the best. We decided we will take that same one on every cruise we go on and talked about someway to decorate it (a patch or something) to show where it has been! Best $6 I ever spent at Target!!! jj
Old July 6th, 2007, 12:48 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Shampoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumofny

You may want to bring along that conditioner, though. On the Inspiration last month, the two shower dispensers held shampoo and body wash. Although, I have seen discussions on the boards that indicate the shampoo is one of those two-in-one shampoo/conditioner formulas. I didn't use it, so can't say for certain.

If you are one that needs conditioner like I am, it's better to be safe and bring it along.

Carnival Inspiration June 2007 - Grand Cayman & Cozumel
Dawn Princess August 2007 - North to Alaska
Old July 7th, 2007, 08:54 PM
Cruise Maniac

One thing we never travel without is our journal. Like to have each family member write a page on the day. Great to look back on and see who really enjoyed what

Have also learned, thanks to the great readers on this site, that if you have a balcony room, pack a bungee cord. This works great for keeping the balcony door open during the day or in the evening.

Safe sailing and remember, 50# limit on those bags, keep room for the great purchases on and off the ship

RCCL Freedom of the Seas 2/10
Carnival Legend 2/09
Carnival Victory 2/08
Carnival Liberty 7/07
Carnival Valor 4/06
Carnival Celebration 4/05
Carnival Sensation 4/04
Old July 9th, 2007, 03:27 PM
Beginner

I guess for me I forgot to bring a shower cap....I seemed to take 2-3-4 showers a day...and sometimes didnt really want to wash my hair...just freshen up a little.....
Old July 9th, 2007, 05:14 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjones21
The single most brilliant tip I learned here before my cruise last year, was to take one of those clear plastic over-the-door shoe thingies. We hung ours on the inside of our bathroom door ... jj
That was one of the must have things I bought and never took out of the suitcase; in fact, I bought two. I found that we (traveling with a teen) had plenty of room on the desk, in the drawers, and in the closet. The only storage addition I made was the suction cup toothbrush holder.
Old July 10th, 2007, 02:43 PM
Passenger

Plastic over-the-door hooks will hold toiletry kits over the door or towel bar, shower caps, wet bathing suits, etc. Staying organized in the small cabin with 4 is tough! Also, next time a small plastic bag for garbage...there was only one small trashcan in the cabin and we filled up and then some daily! Also Dramamine et all...we had the motion sickness bracelets which worked early on, but it didn't helps when we crossed over the storm!
Old July 25th, 2007, 03:54 PM
Beginner

I always bring (and use!) extra hangers
Old July 27th, 2007, 12:13 PM
Passenger

What are the rubber bands for???
Old July 27th, 2007, 12:31 PM
Cruise Maniac

Chefkel22 THis may be a dumb question but......This will be my first time with a balcony. What do you attach the bungee cord to to keep the door open?
Old July 27th, 2007, 04:18 PM
First Mate

I'm not going to include things like extra memory cards, chargers, etc because those items are no brainers to bring on any trip.

My "Must Bring Items" that you might not think of include:

Large Ziplock bags - the ones that slide open
Power Strip - Great for charging multiple items in one place so you don't
misplace or forget something
A Hard Folder - Keeps the great pictures you bought from being bent in
your suitcase when traveling home
Downey Wrinkle Release - Works great!!!!
Crystal Light On The Go Packets - Add to your water for a refreshing drink

That's all I can think of right now without actually looking at my packing list.

I can't believe that our cruise is in 12 days! So much to do that I'm both excited and stressed out at the same time. It seems that everytime I cross one thing off my "to do" list, I end up adding 3 more. And now I'm having nightmares (like arriving at the ship without our passports or the limo from the airport not being able to find the cruise terminal).

Carnival - Spirit: Alaska (August 8, 2007)
Carnival - Miracle: Exotic Western Caribbean (April 9, 2006)
Royal Caribbean - Explorer of the Seas: Eastern Caribbean (January 2005)
Old July 28th, 2007, 01:19 AM
Captain

Everyone has such good ideas. I never thought of the wrinkle release. Good idea.
7- Sapphire Princess
6-Golden Princess
5-Carnival Paradise
3-Carnival Glory
Old July 28th, 2007, 01:31 AM
Passenger

All the ideas have been great. A couple of things that I try to remember to bring are a night light, so I don't have to leave the bathroom light on and, if I have them, the individual coffee creamers in French Vanilla or what ever flavor you like. The ships do not have them because they want you to order the fancier coffees. I had to supply our whole dining table with them on one cruise. Good thing I had plenty.
And, I actually used the shoe bag for shoes since we had plenty of room elsewhere for the smaller items. It was better than piling them up on the floor of the closet!
In the bathroom I use 2 or 3 of the glasses (from the tray in room) for make up etc. Just the right size.....way too small for drinks!!!
Have a great cruise and be sure to tell us about it when you return!
Alice in NSB
Old July 28th, 2007, 01:59 AM
Captain

I just thought about another couple of items.

Post-it notes. They are great for leaving messages on the cabin door or mirror for cabin mates.

FRS radios are great because your cell phone only works in port.

A Decoration for your cabin door. They all look the same. And, on some ships the cabin number is hard to read.

I can't recall if my first post had it. But the the last few cruises I took a insulated lunch bag. This was great when we went on a shore tour that didn't include a meal. We would order sandwhiches from room service. And, here's where the zip locks come in. Pack it in zip locks, double bag some ice. And we were good to go. I have heard some bring a rolling cooler this would be good too.
7- Sapphire Princess
6-Golden Princess
5-Carnival Paradise
3-Carnival Glory