Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 3rd, 2007, 04:48 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Everyone should remember personal attacks are NOT allowed on the boards.

You can offer differing opinions, in a respectful manner. Once anyone resorts to personal attacks they will be removed.

And, I might add.... anyone looking for legal advice in an internet forum is going to get exactly what they paid for it.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old July 3rd, 2007, 09:35 PM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to Lyn_N

Wow, I was wondering if it was just me...I was wondering, if the aunt was so concerned,why hasn't she checked back in and commented,or thanked those who gave her advice. I don't feel like its real.
I also question how the father found out. "things that make you go..hhhmmm?"

BOOKED CRUISES
Carnival Freedom 10/2007 (14-day TransAtlantic)

PAST CRUISES
Carnival Carnivale
Carnival Jubilee
Carnival Fantasy(x3)
Carnival Pride
Carnival Ecstacy
Carnival Victory
Old July 3rd, 2007, 10:24 PM
Admiral

It may not be true but it is an interesting scenario on any cruiseship. The question is, "what would happen"?

Everyone is just throwing out some thoughts. Some may be right some may be dead on wrong but it is interesting to throw the scenario around.

It is something that should be discussed with all young men before they board those ships. Young ladies often lie about their age so caution must be used.

I do wonder though if the father actually wanted to press charges while out to sea, what would Carnival do? Statutory rape is such a grey area in the law and it seems from reading the posts here that no two states have the same guidelines.

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Freedom ('09), Imagination ('08), Victory ('08), Destiny ('08), RCCL Navigator ('08), RCCL Majesty ('08), Glory ('07), Liberty ('07), Fantasy ('07), Destiny ('06), NCL PofAm ('05), Fascination ('04), Victory ('04), Fascination ('04), RCCL Voyager ('03), Fantasy ('99)
Old July 3rd, 2007, 11:34 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Based on my research, (and I am sorry if you do not like my post, but I am just saying what I believe would happen, not what should happen) it is the parent's responsibility to watch their children on cruise ships, and this father does not have much chance of the putting a case tohether unless he can do it in civil court - and I do not know if that is even possible.

It is absolutely true that the FBI has jurisdiction in any report of a crime involving a U.S. citizen on a cruise ship - no matter where it happened (unless it actually happened when the ship was in port in another place - then it is a gray area).

But - was the crime reported at the time? (doubtful). The citizen has the right to report the crime to FBI now, and they will take the report. But will they choose to prosecute? How much evidence is there? - there might be some evidence, but my experience is that I have never heard of the FBI accepting a statutory rape charge on a cruise ship and choosing to follow up and prosecute it. The truth is, there has to be some very solid eveidence a crime was committed before the FBI gets involved, and "he said/she said" sexual cases often do not go forward. There has to evidence of force, and other things I don't need to go into here because they are not relevent to this case.

If I were the boy's family, I would simply wait and see what happens. Most of the time when people threaten to get a lawyer they are just blowing smoke anyway.

If the man does get a lawyer, then what next? Is there such a thing as civil statutory rape? (I am really asking, I do not know). I doubt seriously the criminal case would go forward.

Besides that, yes, there are laws like statutory rape, but are there not also laws that say an adult is responsible for the minor child? (once again, I am not a lawyer, just asking). There were definitely two tangoing here. It appears to have been consensual, and consensual sex between two people of almost the same age, even if one is a minor, is not the same as a 30 yr old having sex with a 13 year old virgin. Remember the spirit of the law. How often and under what circumstances do you hear about statutory rape cases on land?

Bottom line, my opinion is that the threatening father would have very little luck getting this young man in any trouble under the circumstances. but that is not a "pass" for all you 18 year olds reading this to do whatever you want in the future. The father reading this may be more ready for you next time, and report the case while you are still on the ship, and get evidence. Then the FBI might take it.

BTW: someone wrote to me and asked to kill this thread. I am not sure why. But in any case, please do not make unkind comments to one another. I know it often happens unintentionally, but please take that extra step and watch what you say. Thank you all!!!
Old July 3rd, 2007, 11:53 PM
Admiral

I agree with Paul.

It is an interesting grey area for a cruiseship.

I know when things go wrong between female passengers and crewmembers, the Captain will do all he can to make the problem "go away." I read somewhere that the "victim" is usually upgraded to a suite and given OBC to "forget" about the incident. Of course, the crewmember is usually fired and put off the ship at next port. (Don't know if it is true, just repeating something I read on one of these boards.)

No way no how does Carnival (or any other cruiseline) want American law enforcement (any branch) stooping around asking questions about the behavior and goings ons of the teens (or anyone else) aboard their ship. This may be a good way for Dad to get some free perks from the cruiseline.

Can you spell "F R E E C R U I S E"?

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Freedom ('09), Imagination ('08), Victory ('08), Destiny ('08), RCCL Navigator ('08), RCCL Majesty ('08), Glory ('07), Liberty ('07), Fantasy ('07), Destiny ('06), NCL PofAm ('05), Fascination ('04), Victory ('04), Fascination ('04), RCCL Voyager ('03), Fantasy ('99)
Old July 4th, 2007, 01:45 AM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to 17andacruiseaddict Send a message via Yahoo to 17andacruiseaddict

You really think we should feel sorry for a 19 year old playing with a 16 year old? There are laws for a reason.

Brian

i do feel a little bad for the boy. the girl knew what she was doing when she did it. and however her dad found out, of couse he will be mad finding out his daughter is a "garden tool". so instead of take it out ono her, he wants to do something that will make him feel better about the situation, which is blame it all on the boy. and besides he's only 19 and she's 16-17 the 3 or 2 year age dfferent is not anything to go crazy over. i know the age might be against the law but a 3 year age differnce is not a bad thing people. the dad is just mad and this is the only way he could think of to make himself feel better. so again, i do feel bad for the boy because now he;s ini trouble for something they both wanted to do. the dad should take it out on his daughter not him. maybe teach her not to be a whore :/

Old July 4th, 2007, 07:58 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
I know when things go wrong between female passengers and crewmembers, the Captain will do all he can to make the problem "go away." I read somewhere that the "victim" is usually upgraded to a suite and given OBC to "forget" about the incident. Of course, the crewmember is usually fired and put off the ship at next port. (Don't know if it is true, just repeating something I read on one of these boards.)
This scenario might have been more accurate 10 years ago, but things have changed a great deal, and especially in the last few years. Don't believe this kind of talk anymore. The cruise lines are very concerned about the "lawlessness" image that cropped up, and they have now swung their approach 180 degrees to the other direction.

Quote:
No way no how does Carnival (or any other cruiseline) want American law enforcement (any branch) stooping around asking questions about the behavior and goings ons of the teens (or anyone else) aboard their ship. This may be a good way for Dad to get some free perks from the cruiseline.
This is not true. The cruise lines DO care about crime on their ships. Read this article about how Carnival is preserving the evidence in the recent suicide case until the FBI has a full chance to investigate:

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/4942785.html

And as far as a "free perks" - no, the cruise lines do not give free perks away to parents who fail to watch over their own children. This was a passenger to passenger occurence. I don't even see how Carnival is responsible at all.

I get a little unsettled when I see people talking about ways to get something from the cruise lines for free by blaming them for something that had nothing to do with them.
Old July 4th, 2007, 08:24 AM
Admiral

It's either -
a hoax
or one of the two kids asking (ipod ?)

IMHO, there isn't a prosecutor anywhere that would waste his time on this.
Let's see, Homeland security, FBI, etc. terrorism, suicide, homicide, accidental death,

then someone would ask a busy prosecutor to go after a 19 year old for getting a BJ on a ship in international waters without any evidence ?

well whoever, got a lot of 'adults' bantering (I guess me too)

just my 2 cents and I'm sticking to it

Valor 2008
Triumph 2006
Fantasy 2004
Pride 2002
Imperial Maj 2001
Carnivalle 1994
Couple forgotten
Old July 4th, 2007, 10:56 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Motter
Quote:
This scenario might have been more accurate 10 years ago, but things have changed a great deal, and especially in the last few years. Don't believe this kind of talk anymore. The cruise lines are very concerned about the "lawlessness" image that cropped up, and they have now swung their approach 180 degrees to the other direction.

Quote:
This is not true. The cruise lines DO care about crime on their ships. Read this article about how Carnival is preserving the evidence in the recent suicide case until the FBI has a full chance to investigate:

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/4942785.html

And as far as a "free perks" - no, the cruise lines do not give free perks away to parents who fail to watch over their own children. This was a passenger to passenger occurence. I don't even see how Carnival is responsible at all.

I get a little unsettled when I see people talking about ways to get something from the cruise lines for free by blaming them for something that had nothing to do with them.
Hahahaha!!! I don't know how they handle things now or ever did. Luckily, I have never been on the receiving end. I am only going by what I read on these forum boards. A lot of which may be pure fiction. I read about the free upgrades right here on Cruisemates as a matter of fact. It is in the singles forum regarding crew/passenger romances.

As for a free cruise. That is a running joke on some of the other cruise forum boards that everyone is looking for a reason to get a free cruise. I don't know anyone who has ever gotten one but everyone is always laughing and making up scenarios that would warrant being owed a free cruise for all kinds of foolishness. In short, just a little levity added to this thread to keep it light. Not meant as a conviction of the cruiseline.

According to all of the news shows on tv, the cruise industry is supposedly notorious for not cooperating with criminal investigations. Again, I don't know. Have never had the pleasure (displeasure) to have to be involved first hand. I can see Carnival cooperating with a suicide that was witnessed by other people. It is a feather in their hat and they had nothing to lose or be blamed for. All of my cruising experience has been very uneventful and I can't state with certainty what Carnival will do.

Hypothetical thoughts only. . .

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Old July 5th, 2007, 01:50 AM
Administrator
Admiral

NO problem, IB...

I didn't mean to jump on you. I just want the world to realize that there is a big effort currently going on now for the cruise lines to become much more lawful than they were many years ago. Crimes between passengers DO get reported to the FBI now, as long as it gets reported to the cruise line first (or they see it), but my point is that if they never get reported, no one should expect that they can come back to the cruise line later and try to get something for nothing when there is no proof of anything bad happening.

Levity is good, and I totally understand. I just think it is my job to keep the record straight.
Old July 5th, 2007, 07:56 AM
Passenger

Default Re: MAJOR Problem on a Carnival Cruise

When I was in the NAVY (US) a guy on our ship in England was messing with a girl who was under 18 and he was 18. He got drunk and was trying to push his way into the house when the parents were gone. He was charged with attempted rape (he didn't touch her) and we ended up leaving him behind. Never saw him or heard of him again. Laws as I have seen are not like what we in the US are a customed to. They can also be changed at a moments notice by the police or judges.

In your case, your nephew would need to be charged and then they would need to file extridition papers for him to stand trial..I say the word trial but that usually does not mean the same thing as it does here in the US. In many countries, you are considered guilty if you have been charged and the facts apear that you are guilty. More like a civil trial here. In your case it sounds like the girl stabbed him in the back and squeeled on him.

If papers were filed to extridite, the US may or may not have an extridition agreement with that country. If NO, then just never go back. If YES, hope his parents have lots of money for a lawyer.

However, with all of that said...I do not think the country where she is from would have jurisdiction, it would likely be the country where the ship is registered. Those laws may not apply because you are in international waters. Another reason for a lawyer. At the end of the day, it will likely blow (pardon the pun) over and all of the stress will have been for nothing.

I would be curious to know how or why the girl spilled the beans. It's not like there was evidence of what happened. OK, this is the point where I could but will not enter some comments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipodz
I was wondering if anyone could help me regarding jurisdiction/correct charges in this matter.

My nephew (age 19) was on a carnival cruise in JMay and met a girl, age 17 or 16 (not 100% sure) and he ended up hanging out with her almost the entire cruise. Well, he had some relations with her including kissing and she gave him oral "***" but they didn't have full intercourse. The girls father found out and was furious and wants to charge my nephew for rape or some sort of assault because he's 19 and the man's daughter is 17 or 16. However, I heard somewhere that Carnival is officially based out of another country so the laws apply to that country? Regardless, can anyone tell me what may become of this or even if the father is correct in charges regarding the age difference between my nephew and his daughter?

Thank You for any help.

-Maria
Old July 5th, 2007, 10:10 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cassandra

Hey! Don't knock CSI, the company I work for happens to have them use our instruments on the show in the lab scenes.

Serenade of the Seas - '05
Sovereign of the Seas - '07
Old July 5th, 2007, 11:53 AM
Captain

Default CSI

The show is entertaining...It's just some of the things they do on the show make me laugh. For example, when they just walk into a room in their thousand dollar suits and start spraying luminol all over the place to detect blood...That stuff is very toxic and, in real life, you need to suit up properly and wear a proper breathing apparatus. Just got to chalk it up to Hollywood though. Also, I used to like David Carruso on NYPD Blue but can't hardly stand him in the CSI role for some reason.
Old July 5th, 2007, 12:56 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyn_N
Wow, I was wondering if it was just me...I was wondering, if the aunt was so concerned,why hasn't she checked back in and commented,or thanked those who gave her advice. I don't feel like its real.
I agree with you. Why hasn't she checked back in to reply to some of the comments?
Old July 5th, 2007, 01:37 PM
Passenger

Default Re: CSI

Oh, so Im not the only fan of the Davis Carruso school of over acting huh. His most dramatic scenes are when he whips off the sunglasses and says some sort of "im a tough guy" statement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ready2board
The show is entertaining...It's just some of the things they do on the show make me laugh. For example, when they just walk into a room in their thousand dollar suits and start spraying luminol all over the place to detect blood...That stuff is very toxic and, in real life, you need to suit up properly and wear a proper breathing apparatus. Just got to chalk it up to Hollywood though. Also, I used to like David Carruso on NYPD Blue but can't hardly stand him in the CSI role for some reason.
Old July 5th, 2007, 02:05 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrspair
Quote:
I agree with you. Why hasn't she checked back in to reply to some of the comments?
I find with threads like this one that it is far more interesting if you just deal with the scenarios and hypotheticals rather than dwell on whether or not the story is true. Even if this person is making it up, the circumstances still sound like something that has happened, can happen or is just waiting to happen. Therefore it is worth discussing.

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Old July 5th, 2007, 03:01 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBCRUZIN'
Quote:
Quote:
I find with threads like this one that it is far more interesting if you just deal with the scenarios and hypotheticals rather than dwell on whether or not the story is true. Even if this person is making it up, the circumstances still sound like something that has happened, can happen or is just waiting to happen. Therefore it is worth discussing.
I am not saying it is not worth discussing, I just noticed someone had questions that could be beneficial to the aunt and she has not responded. That is all I am saying, of course I feel like it is worth discussing as well, but like others have asked "How did the father find out"? Which may not even be important in some cases, but I kinda would like to know as well how her father found out?
Old July 5th, 2007, 03:36 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Quote:
Probably because she/he made up the story or embellished quite a bit.

If so, I would also embellish and guess that the father caught the two young people in the act.

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Old July 5th, 2007, 03:51 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
If so, I would also embellish and guess that the father caught the two young people in the act.
I'm not so sure about that. Being the father of a 16 year old, if I caught my daughter in the act... the lawsuit would be coming the other way around. The boys father would be suing me after I got done with the kid...
Old July 5th, 2007, 04:24 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gofishgriff
Quote:
I'm not so sure about that. Being the father of a 16 year old, if I caught my daughter in the act... the lawsuit would be coming the other way around. The boys father would be suing me after I got done with the kid...
Good point. I am a mom so, my mind didn't think like that at first.

So, hypothetically, how do you did the father found out about the ...? I can't see the daughter actually telling the father so what do you think happened.

P.S. Since the aunt is no longer around, we here at CM will have to fill in the gaps ourselves.

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Old July 5th, 2007, 04:43 PM
Cruise Maniac

I've thought about this one some... just filling in the gaps of course...

How could the father have found out...

Well, having a 16 year old, I've come to realize that just about anything can come out of my precious daughters mouth. Nothing should surprize me, but she does test my shock factor at times... 16 year olds want to test the boundries just like 6 year olds, in different ways of course, but they do test them.

Several ways a father could find out I guess are:

-Maybe he does catch them in the act. But then again, I can't imagine a dad out there that wouldn't want to rip the kids ...., well, rip his thing off and hand it to him...

-Perhaps a younger sibling does some tattling.

-I'm guessing, hypothetically of course, that the daughter may have simply told her father she did this just to get his goat. She may just want to test the boundaries, or perhaps she didn't get the car she wanted for her 16th birthday.

Who knows...

I do know this however, kids are exposed to so much more these days than when I was younger. Like I said, nothing should shock me coming out of my daughters mouth, but then again.... you should hear some of the music lyrics they listen to now-a-days! And my folks thought AC-DC was from the devil...
Old July 5th, 2007, 05:04 PM
Admiral

O.K. I think I will go with the a sibling ratting the teen girl out. That is a very real possibility.

Oh well, if the aunt ever comes back we will find out but in the meantime, we have to make it up as we go along. (More fun doing it our way, IMHO )

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Old July 5th, 2007, 05:41 PM
Passenger

Quote:
O.K. I think I will go with the a sibling ratting the teen girl out. That is a very real possibility.

Oh well, if the aunt ever comes back we will find out but in the meantime, we have to make it up as we go along. (More fun doing it our way, IMHO )
Sounds good to me!!!
Old July 5th, 2007, 05:44 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Phil&Liz

Fun?

OK.

FREE Genarlow Wilson .

Phil & Liz

The problem with socialism is that you eventually run out of other people's money. Margaret Thatcher

Never take an idiot travelling, you can always pick one up when you get there. Billy Connolly

I Didn't Come here and I ain't Leaving.
Willie Nelson

9/01/2013 Carnival Legend
2/16/2014 BC 7

Bill Murray
20 years ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please don't let Kevin Bacon die.
Old July 5th, 2007, 05:57 PM
Cruise Maniac

Here's another possibility...

-Perhaps dad monitors his daughter's email accounts, text messaging, and so on... Maybe the kids kept in touch after the cruise.

Kids, as brilliant as they think they are, fail to realize that some of us old parents have mad computer skills...
Old July 5th, 2007, 06:59 PM
Beginner

Indeed, this story is true and thank you everyone for your advice. I brought this up partially because this seems to be a large grey area on cruises. Carnival is based out of Panama or some country around there so what are the laws in internat. waters?

I am concerned for my nephew. It also doesn't make sense they're mixing 19 and 16 year olds in those teen clubs onboard. They say they're 15-17, but is it enforced? I think not.

-The way the father found out was that he saw my nephew kissing his daughter outside of their room when he walked her to her room one night. He apparently questioned her about age and relations and she revealed she performed oral sex to him. Pretty honest girl.
Old July 5th, 2007, 07:27 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipodz
Carnival is based out of Panama or some country around there so what are the laws in internat. waters?
If it isn't already apparent, there are no lawyers here!!!

Move on to a more appropriate source for such important information.

Phil & Liz

The problem with socialism is that you eventually run out of other people's money. Margaret Thatcher

Never take an idiot travelling, you can always pick one up when you get there. Billy Connolly

Willie Nelson

2/16/2014 BC 7

Bill Murray
20 years ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please don't let Kevin Bacon die.
Old July 5th, 2007, 08:01 PM
First Mate

If you want to know what your teens are doing or thinking, check out the Teen Board on CM under Greatest Topic Ever. 136 replies so far on the best places on the ship to have s--.
Old July 5th, 2007, 08:23 PM
Admiral

http://www.cruisebruise.com/cruise_s..._children.html

Event Date: January 24, 2007
Alleged Cruise Bruise: Sexual Assault
Alleged Assailant: Passenger
Alleged Victim: 16 Year Old Girl
Cruise Line: P & O Cruises
Cruise Ship: Pacific Star
Read The Complete Story >>> http://www.cruisebruise.com/Sexual_A...y_24_2007.html

Phil & Liz

Willie Nelson

2/16/2014 BC 7

Bill Murray
Old July 5th, 2007, 09:46 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil&Liz
http://www.cruisebruise.com/cruise_ship_sexual_assaults_minor_children.html

Event Date: January 24, 2007
Alleged Cruise Bruise: Sexual Assault
Alleged Assailant: Passenger
Alleged Victim: 16 Year Old Girl
Cruise Line: P & O Cruises
Cruise Ship: Pacific Star
Read The Complete Story >>> http://www.cruisebruise.com/Sexual_A...y_24_2007.html

Phil & Liz
I read the article and one other. You have to take Cruise Bruise with a grain of salt because its purpose is to damage the reputation of the cruise industry.

I wonder, how the cruise industry stacks up against other vacation destinations like Las Vegas, any of the island land resorts or even Orlando, Florida. I would guess that when you compare any other form of vacation to cruising, cruising if probably the safest way to vacation. All kinds of horrible things happen in Vegas and don't even try to add up the unpleasant incidents on a land resort.

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes