Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 2nd, 2007, 03:49 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to jhallah2
Default 24 hour Pizza

So I know I'm going to eat in the main dining room every night, but I also LOVE pizza (I'm from Chicago afterall). What is the pizza like onboard? Thin/deep...just wondering.
Jake
Sponsored Links
Old July 2nd, 2007, 04:45 PM
Cruise Maniac

Hi Jake,

The pizza on the Inspiration was nothing to write home about. It wasn't terrible, but it wasn't as good as I was thinking it was going to be. I read a lot of reviews where people raved about the pizza.

Perhaps other ships are different, but we could pick from thin or deep dish. The deep dish is not like a true deep dish pizza, it's just a little thicker than the thin crust.

You could pick from several types: Cheese, Pepperoni, onion, mushroom, combos. The pizzas are premade, just waiting to be tossed into the oven. Reminded me of frozen pizzas in a way.

Perhaps some ships have better pizza than others. Ours was okay, just not terrific. My kids loved the pizza though.

I'm sorry to say, but if you've had great Chicago pizza, don't get your hopes up about the pizza on board.

Andy
Old July 2nd, 2007, 04:58 PM
Admiral

I never liked the pizza on Carnival until this last cruise on the liberty. The pizza was pretty good. The cruise was crispy, light and moist. The cheese was plentiful as was the toppings.

It is better than frozen but not quite as good as a real italian handmade NY pizza.

However for free, 24 hour a day on a cruise ship. It was quite good.

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Freedom ('09), Imagination ('08), Victory ('08), Destiny ('08), RCCL Navigator ('08), RCCL Majesty ('08), Glory ('07), Liberty ('07), Fantasy ('07), Destiny ('06), NCL PofAm ('05), Fascination ('04), Victory ('04), Fascination ('04), RCCL Voyager ('03), Fantasy ('99)
Old July 2nd, 2007, 05:11 PM
Cruise Maniac

if you're from chicago, the pizza on Carnival is definitely NOT up to par with Uno's! It was alright... But nothing great.
Old July 2nd, 2007, 09:35 PM
Admiral

If you like Pizza Hut you'll be fine....

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old July 2nd, 2007, 09:41 PM
Admiral

I can tell you this - Carnival has the pizza on the high seas (that might not be saying a whole lot) but just off the RCI Freedom Of The Seas with a complete sit down pizzaria, and it was still not as good as Carnival. FOS was a lot like Pizza Hut.
Adventure Of The Seas-05
Navigator Of The Seas-04
Carnival Paradise-04
Carnival Pride-03
Sea Princess-02
Soverign Of The Seas-02
Carnival Imagination-01
Carnival Destiny-00
Carnival Fascination-97
Big Red Boat-93
Nordic Prince-82
Old July 2nd, 2007, 11:05 PM
Admiral

Jake, the pizza on the Carnival ships I have sailed on was pretty good. The crust is not thin and crispy...I'd say medium crust and chewy, but freshly made with lots of topping....pepperoni, anchovies, peppers, mushrooms, etc. They have crocks of freshly grated parmesan cheese, red pepper flakes and oregano to sprinkle on top. You can also order calzones (takes 10 minutes, they make them fresh too) and caesar salad.

At the Grille, you can order freshly grilled hamburgers, cheeseburgers, chicken, hot dogs and minute steaks served with fries and onion rings. Toppings include thick, meaty chili with beans, sauerkraut, sauteed mushrooms and onions, yum!!!
Old July 4th, 2007, 12:04 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosetattoo
Jake, the pizza on the Carnival ships I have sailed on was pretty good. The crust is not thin and crispy...I'd say medium crust and chewy, but freshly made with lots of topping....pepperoni, anchovies, peppers, mushrooms, etc. They have crocks of freshly grated parmesan cheese, red pepper flakes and oregano to sprinkle on top. You can also order calzones (takes 10 minutes, they make them fresh too) and caesar salad.

At the Grille, you can order freshly grilled hamburgers, cheeseburgers, chicken, hot dogs and minute steaks served with fries and onion rings. Toppings include thick, meaty chili with beans, sauerkraut, sauteed mushrooms and onions, yum!!!
Is this grill on all CCL ships? We'll be on Miracle this September... Where is the grill located?
Old July 4th, 2007, 12:46 PM
Captain

Is this grill on all CCL ships? We'll be on Miracle this September... Where is the grill located?

Yes, all CCL ships have a grill. Never been on Miracle, but they're usually located on lido deck near one of the pools. They are good, but the deli sanwiches ain't bad either. And BTW, Chicago ain't got nothin on the goat's milk cheese pizza served by CCL.
Glory (eastern) 12/2006
Destiny 01/2009
Old July 4th, 2007, 07:09 PM
Passenger

the grill is on the Lido deck on the Miracle. only open from 12-6 though. be careful as that is where all the kids hang out and eat so the line is sometimes pretty long.
as for the pizza, it was good. crust was a little thicker than a thin, chewy in the center and crispy on the bottom. for my taste, they could have had more toppings on them and a little more sauce but none the less i really enjoyed them.

travel makes life fun!
our ship sails 6/12/07 for Eastern Caribbean
Hawaii, Diamond Princess 3/17/08
Old July 4th, 2007, 08:51 PM
Passenger

I definitely think the hype on Carnival pizza is so overated it's not even funny. I didn't think the pizza was good at all and no better than any other line. I've never thought the cruise lines have that great of pizza.
Old July 4th, 2007, 11:16 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to jhallah2

ok jen, obviously there is better pizza on land sometimes. there's also better steak, creme brulee, and table bread/butter. that's not the point. the hype with carnival pizza is that it's supposedly better than sufficient, and is open 24 hours!
Old July 4th, 2007, 11:22 PM
Admiral

I think the best thing going for Carnival's pizza is that it never sits around long. It is usually fresh out of the oven which is half of the battle for pizza.

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Freedom ('09), Imagination ('08), Victory ('08), Destiny ('08), RCCL Navigator ('08), RCCL Majesty ('08), Glory ('07), Liberty ('07), Fantasy ('07), Destiny ('06), NCL PofAm ('05), Fascination ('04), Victory ('04), Fascination ('04), RCCL Voyager ('03), Fantasy ('99)
Old July 5th, 2007, 12:14 PM
Passenger

They do have calzone also. The pizza is good. Its fast and simple all different types.
Fantasy July 2006
Liberty Nov. 2006
Liberty Sept. 2007
February 14, 2008 Sensation
Old July 5th, 2007, 12:56 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhallah2
ok jen, obviously there is better pizza on land sometimes. there's also better steak, creme brulee, and table bread/butter. that's not the point. the hype with carnival pizza is that it's supposedly better than sufficient, and is open 24 hours!
That wasn't MY point. My point was that my opinion of Carnival's pizza is it's way over hyped because so many people say it's so incredible and the best, well it isn't and it isn't any better than any other line IMO.