CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Carnival Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/)
-   -   Whats the best way to carry medicines? is pill box okay? (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/335689-whats-best-way-carry-medicines-pill-box-okay.html)

CHAPINCRUISER July 2nd, 2007 10:55 PM

Whats the best way to carry medicines? is pill box okay?

I take quite few medications and would love it if I did not have to lug around the original bottles for each drug. If I use a pillbox, will that throw up RED FLAGS? What are the laws and are they enforced. The supply is for personal use only.

JamesC July 2nd, 2007 11:01 PM

Meds...

Good question. I'm cruising within two week. I have prescriptions for some VERY controlled substances. What will raise "red flags"?

BTW... I do plan on taking my drug prescription bottles with me. Just curious on how this is handled.

Thanks!

CA Cruiser July 2nd, 2007 11:04 PM

I just put mine in one of those plastic daily pill holder and carry the pharmacy printout of each prescription in the ziploc bag with it. I have them in my carry on and have never been asked about them.

rosetattoo July 2nd, 2007 11:14 PM

Bringing prescription medication on the ship is not a problem, they don't even question you. I bring my meds with me in the pharmacy issued bottles or pack a week's worth in a plastic pill container and pack them in my carry-on so they are with me at all times. I always bring extra in case the ship is delayed returning to port for any reason. We were asked to open our bags twice....once to count the soda cans we were bringing onboard and once to inspect all my grandson's game gear, portable DVD player, Nintendo DS, etc.

RedhairNFreckles July 2nd, 2007 11:55 PM

I took my HBP meds and several types of herbal supplements (noooo, not what you think..... LOL ) in a daily plastic container for the week and put it in my carryon. Nothing was said or even hand-checked while leaving or returning.

RocHed11 July 3rd, 2007 12:00 AM

Double Post

T

RocHed11 July 3rd, 2007 12:02 AM

Either that or bring along the Documentation that comes with the Prescriptions

T

Dutchman July 3rd, 2007 09:42 AM

You will have no problem with the ship but you could with the airlines if your flying. Different ballgame.

AR July 3rd, 2007 10:10 AM

Use the pill box. Don't worry about it. If you want to do belt and suspenders, take copies of the scripts. I don't even do that. I just have a little card with the names and dosages of the stuff I take. I've been traveleing extensively internationally for 35 years and have never been so much as asked about it.

For those on maintenace meds that they get 90 pills at a time, it's completely impractical to lug along the large bottles, and frankly, nobody expects you to.

Mike M July 3rd, 2007 10:17 AM

I do the same as AR: I do take copies of the scripts of the injectable schedule 2 medications that I need. I was asked about the injectable in San Francisco airport and I was glad I had the script. I also have a medic alert dog tag with all my medications on it. That also helped. I think I had a TSA person who was having a bad day. The supervisor just waved me on when he came over.

Put your meds in the seven day containers: Retain the copies of the pharmacy receipts and have a great trip.

DEA is looking for major smuggling not vacation travelers

Michelle1959 July 3rd, 2007 10:51 AM

I take medication to relieve nerve pain twice a day I have a 7-day container which I use for vitamins and they will be in there, but I will also carry the receipt from the pharmacy just in case.

I'm not going to carry any extra cause I can use advil if i need to (i.e. hurricane or any weather delayed return) and it won't kill me to be with out vitamins for a couple of days.

TucsonRick July 3rd, 2007 11:40 AM

The TSA would like you to bring meds in their original containers but do not require it.

Cathy100 July 3rd, 2007 03:03 PM

I read on another board from a TA that all meds now have to be in original container with label on each. I just got my inhaler filled Friday so that I can put the label on it. This is for the airline though not the cruise ship. They also told me that you can only have 3oz. bottles in a ziplock bag. No large quantites in your carryon. I checked today at Target and there are plenty of small size tolietries that I can get. Hubby will be thrilled not to have alot of luggage. (yea right) That just makes room for more clothes!!! LOL

IBCRUZIN' July 3rd, 2007 03:11 PM

My experience is that it is required/suggested that you keep your meds in their original container. However, like someone else pointed out, it would be foolish to carry 90 days supply of med for a 7 day cruise.

Hence, I use one of those plastic med holders that the drugstores sell for a dollar. I have not yet been challenged. I think they are more concerned with liquid meds than with pills and capsules.

However, carrying a copy of the presecription or the paperwork from the prescription ought to get you by in case you are questioned.

good luck and happy crusin'