Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 3rd, 2007, 12:25 AM
Passenger

Default Pre cruise hotel in FLL

We are cruising on the Liberty in April, 2008. Since I'm one of those people who love planning trips way in advance, I've started looking at hotels to stay one night, pre cruise in Ft. Lauderdale. We are looking for a nice, clean hotel preferrably with shuttles from the airport and to the cruise terminal, and within walking distance of restaurants, grocery store, and shops. Anything fit that bill?
Sponsored Links
Old July 3rd, 2007, 12:59 AM
Admiral

I have heard very good things about the Embassy Suites on 17th Street Causeway in Fort Lauderdale. They are located maybe 2-3 miles from the airport and 5 minutes from the Port. I know they offer a complimentary made to order breakfast and shuttle service to the Port. They are going thru a renovation right now but it will be completed prior to your visit. Very nice hotel and there are dozens of restaurants, stores, etc., within an easy walk. It is also a 5 minute drive to beautiful Fort Lauderdale beach where there are tons of dining establishments and a nice place for a stroll in the evening.
Old July 3rd, 2007, 07:13 AM
First Mate

We stayed in the Best Western Oceanside in FLL. pre cruise to Miami, It was very close to port everglades as you could see the ships in a distance pull into port, It was walking distance to the beach, and we took a trolly across the street for $ .50 cents to a shopping plaza to get all our goodies that we could not fly with,
They had a nice warm pool, and also offered a free breakfest in the morning, but no transportation to the ship, but taxi should not be that much.
Destiny
Norwegian Majesty
Legend
Legend
Valor
Valor again Yahoo!
Old July 3rd, 2007, 10:39 PM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to Lyn_N

I am a planner as well, I am booked for Feb 08 at the Hampton Inn Ft Lauderdale Airport North. It has a shuttle from the airport and to the Port. I'll let ya know how it is...although I am sure by Feb. you will already have some place booked.

BOOKED CRUISES
Carnival Freedom 10/2007 (14-day TransAtlantic)

PAST CRUISES
Carnival Carnivale
Carnival Jubilee
Carnival Fantasy(x3)
Carnival Pride
Carnival Ecstacy
Carnival Victory
Old July 4th, 2007, 10:03 PM
Admiral

We've booked the Hampton Inn, Plantation, (airport), like Lyn N. We've also stayed at the LaQuinta Inn, Hollywood, which was fine. From what I've read, the Hampton has easier access to restaurants and shopping. We'll find out in October!

Also, I think that anything on 17th Street will be good. They just cost more than we're willing to spend for one night pre-cruise .

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old July 4th, 2007, 10:42 PM
Passenger

Thanks to all for the information! You've given me some good ideas.
Old July 5th, 2007, 12:24 AM
Passenger

I've booked the Hampton, Plantation hotel for our trip in the fall. I'm not sure how many mins it is from the airport, but I've heard several different things (maybe 20 mins or so). You get free shuttle from airport and also free shuttle over to the cruise port. Also free breakfast. It was $118 for us in the fall with AAA discount.
Old July 5th, 2007, 10:27 AM
Admiral

Debra, if your Hampton Inn is on 6th Street in Plantation, you are maybe 15-20 minutes from the airport. There is lots to do in this area, including the Broward Mall right down the street with anchor stores Macy's, Penney's, Sears, Dillards. There are tons of restaurants, Chili's, Smokey Bones, Pancake House, Davie Ale House, delis, fast food, etc.
Old July 5th, 2007, 11:08 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosetattoo
I have heard very good things about the Embassy Suites on 17th Street Causeway in Fort Lauderdale. They are located maybe 2-3 miles from the airport and 5 minutes from the Port. I know they offer a complimentary made to order breakfast and shuttle service to the Port. They are going thru a renovation right now but it will be completed prior to your visit. Very nice hotel and there are dozens of restaurants, stores, etc., within an easy walk. It is also a 5 minute drive to beautiful Fort Lauderdale beach where there are tons of dining establishments and a nice place for a stroll in the evening.
I stayed at this Embassy Suites for a function last year at the Convention Center. It is very nice and clean. There is however, a very nice hotel directly north of the Convention Center which is right in the area. It is on the north side of the Causway bridge...not sure of the name of it but you could probably get it from the Ft. Lauderdale Convention Center web site...have fun!
Old July 6th, 2007, 01:15 AM
Admiral

We did the Best Western before in Ft. Lauderdale

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old July 7th, 2007, 01:48 PM
Beginner

We are going out of Ft. Lauderdale on the Dec. 9 Western Caribbean, so we are flying into Ft. Lauderdale the day before. We are going to stay at the Bahia Mar Resort. It is 4 miles from the Airport and about 1 mile from the Cruise Port. We are taking the Jungle Queen dinner Show Cruise the night that we stay in Fort Lauderdale and it leaves from the Bahia Mar. We are soooo excited. This is the first cruise that my husband and myself are taking together as he has never been on one before and I've only been on one other.

Sandra
Old July 7th, 2007, 09:42 PM
Cruise Maniac

Love to see that I am not the only one who plans ahead

We just returned from the Liberty and we too went down a day early.

We stayed at the Ramada Airport/Cruiseport. There were 2 rooms (6 in our party).

They offered not only shuttle from the airport and to the cruise port, they also offered a free buffet breakfast for everyone in our party.

The rooms were clean and big. The pool was clean and refreshing. Nice tiki bar hut that offered beverages as well as pub type menu for lunch. Food was very good.

Not much shopping around the hotel, at least within walking distance. Husband and kids enjoyed the Marlins baseball game. Found it was less expensive to rent a small car than take a taxi to the stadium (8 miles away). There is a rent a car spot right inside the hotel. $60 r/t for taxi, hotel offered for $110 r/t and the rent a car was only $31 (w/taxes) for the day.

Would be happy to answer any other questions about the ship or the area.

Have a great time and safe sailing.

RCCL Freedom of the Seas 2/10
Carnival Legend 2/09
Carnival Victory 2/08
Carnival Liberty 7/07
Carnival Valor 4/06
Carnival Celebration 4/05
Carnival Sensation 4/04