Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 6th, 2007, 02:13 PM
Passenger

Default First time cruiser... possibly traveling alone

Hello,
Its my first cruise and I am celebrating my birthday!! I have been reading and love this site! I am going on the Sensation next week and I am wondering about a lot of things!!!
1. I got the upper and lower room is it really cramped?

2. If I dont like the food at the main dining can I go the buffet? If I do like the food can I get more than one serving? I s all the food really free???

3. I booked excursions should I be paranoid about doing these alone, should I try to follow other cruise mates who maybe going to the same place?

4. If I got sea sick is the dermamine free?
5. HAS ANYONE ELSE BEEN A CRUISE ALONE???

Thanks for the help!!
Old July 6th, 2007, 02:27 PM
Admiral

I've never cruised alone but can help you with some of your questions.

1. Being a single cruiser, your room should be adequate.

2. You can order as many appetizers, soups, salads, entrees and desserts as your little heart desires. If you don't like any of the menu offerings, you can go to the buffet but I think there will be something on the menu every night that you will like. The rolls are hot and fresh, they offer hot and cold soups, nice salads, a good selection of main courses, and yummy desserts (chocolate melting cake). There are a list of items always available in the dining room in addition to the nightly choices, i.e., sirloin steak, grilled chicken, etc. All the food, with the exception of specialty desserts offered on the Promenade Deck, is free, including room service food. Fresh coffee and pastries in the morning from room service is a great way to start your day, just tip the staff a couple of dollars. Remember, you can eat breakfast and lunch in the formal dining room also but the buffet offers a very good selection.

3. If you booked your shore excursions thru Carnival, you will be with a group of people from the ship. You will be fine.

4. If you are prone to seasickness, bring along some Dramamine. I believe it is also available from the Purser's desk and/or Medical Center.
Old July 6th, 2007, 02:33 PM
Passenger

Default THANKS!!

Thank You Very Much!! I am so excited, but nervous as well!! I had a traveling partner but they maybe backing out last minute!! And I refuse to let it ruin my birthday plans.
Thanks again for your help!!
Old July 6th, 2007, 02:57 PM
Admiral

Good for you, for deciding to cruise alone, if necessary! You will find it very easy to strike up conversations on the cruise and during the excursions.

Rosetattoo answered your questions, so I'll just add Happy Birthday and Bon Voyage!
Mariner of the Seas

HAL Statendam Alaska Cruise Tour - 09/09/12; Disney Magic - 12/01/12; Allure of the Seas - 05/26/13
Old July 6th, 2007, 03:34 PM
Admiral

1. No.

2. Yes, Yes

3. No.

4. Yes

5. Yes many times. Always had a blast.

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Freedom ('09), Imagination ('08), Victory ('08), Destiny ('08), RCCL Navigator ('08), RCCL Majesty ('08), Glory ('07), Liberty ('07), Fantasy ('07), Destiny ('06), NCL PofAm ('05), Fascination ('04), Victory ('04), Fascination ('04), RCCL Voyager ('03), Fantasy ('99)
Old July 6th, 2007, 05:24 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Cruising alone

Good for you. I think that Rosetatoo did an excellent job of answering your questions. I don't remember if you said what your ports are, but if you are going alone, I would definately stay within a group excursion, watch what and how much you drink on-shore and watch your time. The ship will leave you if you are late and not on a Carnival excursion.

I would definately ask for a large dining table assignment. Usually these are from 8 - 10 people and you should find someone to talk to at dinner. Most are previous cruisers and will be happy to fill you in on questions once you are on-board. The ships have a limited room service menu if you just don't want to go to the dining room or buffet and you should tip the room service waiter. The dining rooms don't normally allow you to take a plate to your room, but you can certainly carry food from the buffet, deli and pizza station (24 hours). And don't be afraid to find some people in the buffet and ask to share their table. We have met a lot of great people this way. If you go into the dining room for breakfast or lunch, you will be seated at the next available table with (not strangers) friends you have not met yet. Just strike up a conversation and see where it goes.

I don't know if you are a man or a woman, young or old, but I will go ahead and say:
Be very careful about going about the ship by yourself late at night and don't use the elevators late at night unless there are several other cruisers boarding with you.

Women should be careful as well about some of the crew members (enough said about that).

As far as dramamine, we always get the non-drowsy dramamine and take it every 12 - 24 hours. I try to take the first one before going to bed the night before my cruise and it does help. You might also want to take them for a few days after your cruise until you get your equilibrium back.

Take some Immodium with you to take in your room because if you tell the cruise clinic you have diarreah (sp) you may get quarantined to your room. If you have to ask them for seasick pills, they will ask if you have diarreah. Say NO and take your own immodium.

Old July 6th, 2007, 05:34 PM
Admiral

also, don't leave your drink out of your sight for a second! easy to spike these.

I (f/48) will be on Sensation in 3 weeks with my son (14) so I look forward to hearing your review upon your return! I also may cruise solo in the future and would be interested in your solo experience!
Old July 6th, 2007, 07:41 PM
Captain

If you can't find a party..............BE the party. You'll never see any of these appleheads again,soooooooooooo enjoy yourself. Sensation is a great ship and the crew's attitude is contagious. Here's a link to Carnival's dinner menu, it's the same on all ships. If yah don't see somethin you like, they serve chicken, steak, and fish on request every nite. The dining room is the only way to go for dinner, OTOH, I prefer the buffet for breakfast. Lots of strange offerings, don't be afraid to try em all. Make SURE you order the Chocolate Melting Cake, available evry nite.

http://www.carnival.com/CMS/FAQs/Sam...ay_Cruise.aspx
Glory (eastern) 12/2006
Destiny 01/2009
Old July 6th, 2007, 10:32 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Cruising alone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jst1jst
Good for you. The ship will leave you if you are late and not on a Carnival excursion.

I would definately ask for a large dining table assignment. Usually these are from 8 - 10 people and you should find someone to talk to at dinner.

If you are going on Carnival, they always try to sit solo cruisers together. I have done several cruises solo and have always been seated at the "solos' table". Very good way to find your first few cruise buddies.

The ships have a limited room service menu if you just don't want to go to the dining room or buffet and you should tip the room service waiter.

Do not eat in your cabin alone. That is depressing. Go to your assigned table. If you don't like the people, just ask that your table be assigned. The Maitre D can look on his computer monitor and see exactly who is at each table, their gender, age, name, marital status, etc.

And don't be afraid to find some people in the buffet and ask to share their table. We have met a lot of great people this way. If you go into the dining room for breakfast or lunch, you will be seated at the next available table with (not strangers) friends you have not met yet. Just strike up a conversation and see where it goes.

I don't know if you are a man or a woman, young or old, but I will go ahead and say:
Be very careful about going about the ship by yourself late at night and don't use the elevators late at night unless there are several other cruisers boarding with you.

This is way too paranoid. You are safer on these cruiseships than just about any other public location. Definitely safer than any city street. I have walked the ship at all hours of the night alone and have never had any problems nor have I ever heard of anyone being accosted on an elevator. Do no fear, the chances of random crime befalling you on a cruiseship is nil.

Women should be careful as well about some of the crew members (enough said about that).

Again, overkill. The crew are more afraid of the female passengers than the female passengers need to be afraid of the crew. Most male crew go out of their way not to be in proximity of female passengers without other workers being around. Their jobs are on the line and most crew members are family men who are on the ships to earn a living not to assault passengers.

In short, if you are traveling alone, there is no safer vacation than a cruise. You are in an enclosed environment and as long as you conduct yourself with proper decorum, you will have no problems at all.

I do solo cruises as often as possible, stay up late, party and drink all night and make my way ALONE to my cabin at 3, 4 or even 5 o'clock in the morning. The ship is asleep and the only people you see are the security guards and the people who clean the ship while the passengers sleep. For the most part, rapists, muggers, home invaders, stick up artists, kidnappers and the like do not practice their trade on cruiseships.

No one is going to do anything to you that you do not invite and/or encourage.

Happy cruzin'

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Freedom ('09), Imagination ('08), Victory ('08), Destiny ('08), RCCL Navigator ('08), RCCL Majesty ('08), Glory ('07), Liberty ('07), Fantasy ('07), Destiny ('06), NCL PofAm ('05), Fascination ('04), Victory ('04), Fascination ('04), RCCL Voyager ('03), Fantasy ('99)
Old July 6th, 2007, 10:42 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle1959
also, don't leave your drink out of your sight for a second! easy to spike these.!
Good advice no matter where you go. On a cruiseship, it is possible. However, it is not likely.

Cruiseships are closed environments, there are security guards all over the place (especially at night), and, while you can't always see them, there are cameras everywhere. Just about every inch of the ship is monitored and/or recorded 24 hours a day.

Most victims of crime (rape/assault/thief) on cruiseships are first victims of their own misadventure and poor choices.

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Old July 8th, 2007, 04:40 PM
Familiar Face

No worries on cruising SOLO. I did my first one last year and will be cruising SOLO again this year. I found that I met a lot more people going SOLO than I did when travelling with someone else.

As many of those who have travelled SOLO will tell you the main advantage is you can do what you want when you want. Of course another big advantage is getting a cabin all to yourself (which I really enjoyed) .

All excursions I took were cruise ship ones --- that way you get to meet others on the cruise ship and you never have to worry about missing the ship.

I never felt un-safe during my cruise but I alway try to be aware of my surroundings - as one should always do. I do a lot of business travel alone and have also done bus tours/beach vacations SOLO but wasn't sure I would like to cruise SOLO; however I decided to try it last year and was not disappointed. After all you really are only alone if you choose to be ---- otherwise you are just one of many fellow cruisers.
Old July 8th, 2007, 07:34 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to misguidedangel

I cruised alone in 1991 and had a upper/lower cabin which I shared with a total stranger--not a good idea letting them match a cabin mate up with you.

If you don't like the food in the dining room there is probably somewhere else on the ship that has food you will like, and all but the cafe selections (mostly desserts) are free. Your cruise will be short, so it will go by fast.

I am booked for a seven day in September and I will be happy to be alone and not have a cabin mate. I will miss having someone to keep an eye on my stuff while I romp in the sea, but oh well, c'est la vie! I have a panorama deck balcony cabin, so I'll be close to the heart of all the action--Lido deck!

Enjoy your cruise, you'll love it!
Old July 9th, 2007, 11:06 AM
Passenger

Default BIG THANKS

Thank you all!! I am feeling better about this solo cruise after redaing your posts! I will definately let you know how it turns out.... 4 days and counting!!!

Thanks Again!!!
Old July 9th, 2007, 11:07 AM
Passenger

Default BIG THANKS

Thank you all!! I am feeling better about this solo cruise after redaing your posts! I will definately let you know how it turns out.... 4 days and counting!!!

Thanks Again!!!
Old July 9th, 2007, 11:08 AM
Passenger

Default BIG THANKS

Thanks Again!!!
Old July 9th, 2007, 11:09 AM
Passenger

Default BIG THANKS

Thanks Again!!!
Old July 9th, 2007, 11:10 AM
Passenger

Default BIG THANKS

Thanks Again!!!
Old July 9th, 2007, 11:11 AM
Passenger

Default BIG THANKS

Thanks Again!!!
Old July 9th, 2007, 11:11 AM
Passenger

Default BIG THANKS

Thanks Again!!!
Old July 9th, 2007, 11:12 AM
Passenger

Default BIG THANKS

Thanks Again!!!
Old July 9th, 2007, 11:13 AM
Passenger

Default BIG THANKS

Thanks Again!!!