Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 10th, 2007, 01:17 PM
Admiral

Default walkie talkies vs cell phone on ships

I'm considering getting walkie talkies for me and my son, but do even the best work from one deck to another? Is cell phone use throughout the ship better reception than trying to depend on walkie talkies for keeping in touch with your kids? What's your choice and why?
Sponsored Links
Old July 10th, 2007, 01:21 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

We did the W/T for one cruise, and about half way through, we never used them again. We found that no matter how many channels you had, there was always a kid on there, having fun.

You have said that you and Ian would be together most of the time, so this would be an unnecessary expense for you.

Cell phones might work, but be very expensive I think. Not sure so maybe others can comment.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old July 10th, 2007, 01:35 PM
First Mate

We just got off a cruise, and we had international calling on our cell phones, but they did not work when we were cruising. They only worked in ports.

Have a fun cruise,
Kathy
Old July 10th, 2007, 02:04 PM
Admiral

Luanne, I'll keep that in mind. I may just "hover nearby" when he's in the teen club room.

Kathy: was it Verizon? what carrier? I'd been told they would work on ship but NOT in the ports.
Old July 10th, 2007, 02:14 PM
Captain

Darn...I didn't realize people were able to really use cells at all on board...I was thinking one of the nice things of cruising next month would be several days of not having to listen to people talk on them and hear annoying ring tones everywhere I go lol...I guess I can live with it as long as no one has it on during dinner, during a show or the other obvious places where some rude people still seem to have a need to use them. Honestly though, can't people live without cell phones or a computer for a few days? Isn't that part of a good vacation?...OK, I'll stop whining now lol.
Old July 10th, 2007, 03:01 PM
Admiral

I need to be able to let my son call his dad each night - that's what we do whenever one of us is out of town with him. Or, have his dad call him. In addition, we'll be in Orlando the day before and after the cruise, so we'll need our cells as well. I just expect to take them out in the evening, let him call his dad, then put them away in the safe. Or, I may want mine when we're in Freeport or Nassau. I would not walk around the cruise ship carrying it and yapping away. I'n not a yapper. I hae the least amount of minute I can have on a plan. It's just for keeping in touch with my son after school is out before his dad or I get home, or for emergencies.
Old July 10th, 2007, 03:13 PM
Admiral

Be careful, Michelle. All carriers that I've heard of have a per minute charge that is WAY more expensive than in the US. I have Cingular and it is $2.99 per minute from the Bahamas/Caribbean. I think it might have been the same thing in Mexico.

And once I had the local cell carrier tack on a charge. Most ports have a telecommunications building at or near the port. In Nassau, you can see it when you get off the ship. It's only $1.00 a minute and when you've used up your $10 card (10 minutes isn't much of a conversation, we found) then you're done.

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Elation March 11
Carnival Imagination Sept 07
Carniival Sensation Dec 06
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 06
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old July 10th, 2007, 03:15 PM
Admiral

Dorothy, I'm only going to let him have 60 seconds to say "Hi Dad, I'm fine, we went into Freeport today and blah blah blah, talk to you tomorrow." it's not going to be long conversations. Yes, I will be watching the clock to make sure it's a minute. If my ex tries to keep him talking longer than that, I'll tell him HE can call our room and pay for the call.
Old July 10th, 2007, 03:22 PM
Captain

Michelle:

I totally understand and was more/less kidding around in my post. Good idea too regarding having Dad call and foot the bill! lol

Have a great time!
Old July 10th, 2007, 03:27 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by ready2board
Darn...I didn't realize people were able to really use cells at all on board...I was thinking one of the nice things of cruising next month would be several days of not having to listen to people talk on them and hear annoying ring tones everywhere I go lol...I guess I can live with it as long as no one has it on during dinner, during a show or the other obvious places where some rude people still seem to have a need to use them. Honestly though, can't people live without cell phones or a computer for a few days? Isn't that part of a good vacation?...OK, I'll stop whining now lol.
Okay, I'm with you... my phone stays off unless my sister and I go different directions (in case of getting lost or emergency) otherwise I may turn it on to check for messages, but I never get any anyway.
Carnival-Splendor Sept 6, 2009

Old July 10th, 2007, 03:31 PM
Admiral

Okay, I'm with you... my phone stays off unless my sister and I go different directions (in case of getting lost or emergency) otherwise I may turn it on to check for messages, but I never get any anyway. [/quote]

By the way, the getting lost thing wasn't referring to while we are on the boat, (although I'm sure it's big enough). I was really really to being in port. (although I don't plan on straying to far then either.) 8)
Carnival-Splendor Sept 6, 2009

Old July 10th, 2007, 03:33 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

The usage of cell phones has changed in the last year. Use to you only saw them in the US ports, but now on this last cruise, they were everywhere. We had a lady sitting near us in the dinning room who was always on her phone, even on formal night. I will say she switched to a formal phone, with fake diamonds, so at least it was dressy.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old July 10th, 2007, 03:35 PM
Admiral

well I will not be one of those people I am not a yapper. And I hope to avoid those who ARE yappers on the cruise.

Frankly, I will be 500 times more annoyed by the smokers than the yappers.
Old July 10th, 2007, 05:46 PM
Admiral

The walkie talkies will be less expensive in the long run.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old July 10th, 2007, 09:30 PM
Admiral

On select Carnival ships, you can use your cell phone but international roaming charges will apply. I cruised last month on the Liberty and saw people walking around the ship yakking away on their cell phones, they're in for a bit of a shock when they receive their cellular bills. All communications from the ship are via satellite not cell towers so you cannot use calling cards, credit cards or dial collect. I found the least expensive way to communicate with the outside world was by Internet on the ship.
Old July 10th, 2007, 11:03 PM
Captain

My husband loves to take walkie-talkies on our cruises. He wants me to keep mine on all the time so he can find me when he wants to. I think they can be kind of annoying on the ship because the reception is poor in many areas on the ship. I do think they come in handy when we are in port, though. I like to shop, and my husband definitely doesn't. I usually tell him to go sit somewhere and have a beer. It works great for us. He loves to talk to people, and I love to shop. We keep contact with one another by using the walkie-talkies. It works great for us.

Have fun, whatever you decide to do!!!

Libragirl (Mary)
Old July 11th, 2007, 11:32 AM
Admiral

everyone, thanks for your input. did you fnd the walkie talkies worked well in the inner ship/lower decks?

I think I decided I will get a walkie talkie set after all, thought we will mostly be hanging around together - I will get one in the mid-price range. My son can then enjoy using it with his friends back home.

We'll still have our cell phones so he can have a quickie talk with his dad each night, but for the few times he may be with teens and I may be relaxing out of sight, I'll feel better knowing he has the walkie talkie to reach me and vice versa.
Old July 11th, 2007, 11:32 AM
Passenger

We are taking walkie-talkies- many on this forum have said they work quite well- you can buy them relatively inexpensively with private channels to cut out the chatter, and many have up to 15 mile range.
Old July 11th, 2007, 01:56 PM
Admiral

Just keep in mind that with the walkie-talkies many others can probably hear what you are saying. ie: While waiting for an elevator, a middle aged, attractive lady's walkie-talkie woke up the crowd of people with "breaker, breaker Hot Mama, this is Stud Muffin,,,over". The entire group broke out in laughter, and "Hot Mama was highly embaressed.

Ken
Old July 11th, 2007, 02:12 PM
Admiral

At least "stud muffin" didn't blurt out "Hot mama, meet me in cabin ____ for the time of your life!"

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Elation March 11
Carnival Imagination Sept 07
Carniival Sensation Dec 06
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 06
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old July 11th, 2007, 09:47 PM
Admiral

That would have been a great invitation. We always take ours and they are very useful. Try the Motorolas. They have frequencies only for Motorola. 25 mile range and they come with headsets for "Hot Mamas and Stud Muffins." 8)
Old July 13th, 2007, 05:09 PM
Admiral

Default radio shack choices:

which of these sounds best?

$49.97 - Motorola® SX700R GMRS/FRS 2-Way Radio 2-Pack
Model: SX700R | Catalog #: 21-1946

$39.99 - GMRS/FRS 2-Way Radio 2-Pack with up to 10-Mile Range
Model: 21-1926 | Catalog #: 21-1926

$19.99 - Presidian GMRS/FRS 2-Way Radios with up to 5-Mile Range
Model: 21-1916 | Catalog #: 21-1916

$19.97 - GMRS/FRS 2-way Radios with up to 14-Mile Range (2-pk)
Model: 2100101 | Catalog #: 21-101 (Radio features 22 channels with 99 Interference Eliminator Codes to virtually eliminate all interfer...)
Old July 13th, 2007, 05:29 PM
Admiral

do they have walkie talkies for me to rent on board the Sensation? If so, how much do they cost?
Old July 16th, 2007, 07:28 AM
First Mate

The ship was sold out, but still didn't seem so crowded that I every worried about losing a family member. There was no massive crowds to get lost in.

The only place that I worried about separation was trying to find my luggage in the blue tag area. People would knock you over and not think twice at checkout.

Brian

Sensation
Old July 16th, 2007, 07:54 AM
Admiral

Quote:
True true but they won't. They will keep getting cheaper to use (although to some cost doesn't matter) and it'll get worse. A cruise will soon be like being at a mall.

Valor 2008
Triumph 2006
Fantasy 2004
Pride 2002
Imperial Maj 2001
Carnivalle 1994
Couple forgotten
Old July 16th, 2007, 01:02 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_G
Quote:
True true but they won't. They will keep getting cheaper to use (although to some cost doesn't matter) and it'll get worse. A cruise will soon be like being at a mall.
Exactly! And to think it wasn't so long ago that no one had a cell phone! How on earth did we function without them? . To hear my kids tell it, it must have been the Dark Ages! that is how I use to think when my grandparents told me about not having a home phone when they were younger !!!

For our upcoming cruise my wife and I have already informed the kids the cell phones , both theirs and ours , are staying at home!

We were thinking of bringing walkie-talkies but have decided to have regular check ins instead. One of our main concerns was having us all carry the walkie - talkies around.... not so much the kids , but I am liable to leave it somewhere ---- i lose more car keys that way!
Old July 16th, 2007, 02:30 PM
Admiral

I bought 2 Cobra 10 mile walkie talkies on Saturday so the few times my son and I may be separated (i.e. he's at a teen program and I'm relaxing in a quiet corner soimewhere, writing or reading) I can keep tabs on himi and if he needs me, he can immediately reach me.

leaving notes in the room isn't a good option, as if your kid is in trouble they can't probably can't GET to the room!
Old July 16th, 2007, 03:22 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle1959
I bought 2 Cobra 10 mile walkie talkies on Saturday so the few times my son and I may be separated (i.e. he's at a teen program and I'm relaxing in a quiet corner soimewhere, writing or reading) I can keep tabs on himi and if he needs me, he can immediately reach me.

leaving notes in the room isn't a good option, as if your kid is in trouble they can't probably can't GET to the room!
Just a question out of curiosity. Don't you think doing this will embarrass your son when he is with others his age and mom starts 'breaker breaker' for him ?
Just a thought.

Valor 2008
Triumph 2006
Fantasy 2004
Pride 2002
Imperial Maj 2001
Carnivalle 1994
Couple forgotten
Old July 16th, 2007, 03:41 PM
First Mate

Michelle1959,
We have Cingular
Old July 16th, 2007, 03:50 PM
Captain

I suggest 2 Tin Cans and a String.

I have heard that walkie talkies work well but its hard to get a channel because the ships crews use them. So unless you want to know which toilets aren't flushing etc. I wouldn't bother.
RCI Monarch of The Seas 1998
Ecstasy 2000
Carnival Miracle 9/24/07
Upcoming Fascination 11/5/09