Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 10th, 2007, 11:20 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via Yahoo to cruzaddict
Default What is a good S&S limit for teens?

We did not put a charge limit on our 14yo's S&S card last cruise but now that I know you can...and now that he has been a little less trustworthy...we will.

I'm wondering what a good amount is? Is it a total for the entire cruise or a daily spending limit? I think I read that you can do it either way. I'm thinking $30 per day. I doubt he'll use that much each day but it would prevent any crazy charging.

Thanks again for all the help

Carnival Ecstasy 4-06, Carnival Conquest 9-07
Mariner OTS 9-08, Carnival Conquest 2-09
Carnival Conquest 9-09, Carnival Fantasy 1-10
Carnival Triumph 5-11, Mariner OTS 11-11
Sponsored Links
Old July 10th, 2007, 11:29 PM
Cruise Maniac

I would say $250 that is enough and a reasonable amount to a 14yr old. Way more than my parents would have given me at that age.

Carnival Spirit 11/07
Carnival Paradise 12/01
Carnival Elation 12/99
Old July 11th, 2007, 08:54 AM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

I can only tell you what I did for my teen sons. They had their own soda card, that they could use as often as they wanted, but I told them that the Sign and Sail card had to be authorized by me. If they needed something, which didn't happened very often, they would have to come to me first, tell me what they needed, and then buy.

It is a misconception that you have to have money on a cruise ship when your a teen. They eat when they want, and as much as they want for free. All the teen activities are free. Even if they don't have a soda card, there is plenty of things to drink on the ship, that is free.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old July 11th, 2007, 10:01 AM
Admiral

I will be with my 14 year old most of the time on our 4-day cruise that sails on 7/29. He has had a credit card that I load his allowance on every month and knows how to use this wisely. So I decided that I will put a $100 limit on his S&S card so he can get quarters or tokens for the video arcade and any little sourvenirs or things from the gift shops he may want to buy on board. Once he's used that, nothing else from me on board the ship. If he wants to buy souvenirs off the ship in Freeport or Nassau, I will buy them but his limit for that is $50.
Old July 11th, 2007, 02:19 PM
Admiral

My son (now almost 17) always had to check with me if he made more than a $10 purchase at any one time. The only things he ever buys on his own are lattes from the coffee shop and candy or small stuff from the little store.

Anything "big" he wanted (he got a watch once) had to be cleared by me.

He also brought his own money and once gave me $1 to play on the roulette wheel "for" him. When I won ($30) he wanted the $30!! I teased him awhile saying that since he wasn't old enough to gamble, he couldn't benefit from gambling, but relented and gave him the money.

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Elation March 11
Carnival Imagination Sept 07
Carniival Sensation Dec 06
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 06
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old July 11th, 2007, 02:22 PM
Admiral

My son, Ian, had told me he's use his April birthday moneh for his own souvenirs, etc. but of course combining that with 8th grade graduation money from relatives, all of that went into buying an xbox 360 and a wireless connection so he can playl xbox live.

So I told him I'd only have a minimal budget for souvenirs for him and he understands that.
Old July 11th, 2007, 02:44 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle1959
My son, Ian, had told me he's use his April birthday moneh for his own souvenirs, etc. but of course combining that with 8th grade graduation money from relatives, all of that went into buying an xbox 360 and a wireless connection so he can playl xbox live.

So I told him I'd only have a minimal budget for souvenirs for him and he understands that.
I think your cruise is 4 or 5 days. Is that correct? If so, I think $25 a day is sufficient. Or even more than enough. If there is something that your son wants, he can "pool" his $25 a day allowance so that he can afford to buy the souvenir of his choice (almost). I doubt if a teen boy will see anything that he really must have that will cost more than what he will have grand total.

Are you getting him a soda card? If he stays away from the video games onboard, he will do fine. If he starts to play them, he will be wiped out in a couple of hours.

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Freedom ('09), Imagination ('08), Victory ('08), Destiny ('08), RCCL Navigator ('08), RCCL Majesty ('08), Glory ('07), Liberty ('07), Fantasy ('07), Destiny ('06), NCL PofAm ('05), Fascination ('04), Victory ('04), Fascination ('04), RCCL Voyager ('03), Fantasy ('99)
Old July 11th, 2007, 05:03 PM
First Mate

For my teens, I don't give them sign and sail access. If they really want something, they can find me. Usually they are too busy to shop.

Have fun,
Kathy