Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 12th, 2007, 12:43 PM
Passenger

Default Casual dress

Hello,
I'm sure this has been brought up many times, but here I go. My DH is dressing up for the Formal dinner (1 night) but refuses to where slacks to non formal the reat of the cruise, can he get away with a nice shirt (Polo) and khaki/Linen shorts for the other nights?

Thank you

Sponsored Links
Old July 12th, 2007, 01:01 PM
Passenger

I think it does say in the little booklet that they send out- no shorts in the dining room (except breakfast and lunch).
Old July 12th, 2007, 01:04 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Slacks

Our 1st cruise last year, my boyfriend wore Khaki or Navy Docker type pants with a nice shirt, no tie....only night he was in a suit/tie was for formal night.

Conquest, September, 2009
Fantasy, July, 2009
Fantasy, July, 2008
Fantasy, June, 2008
Fantasy, September, 2007
Ecstasy, September, 2006
Old July 12th, 2007, 01:07 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Casual dress

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1st cruiser
Hello,
I'm sure this has been brought up many times, but here I go. My DH is dressing up for the Formal dinner (1 night) but refuses to where slacks to non formal the reat of the cruise, can he get away with a nice shirt (Polo) and khaki/Linen shorts for the other nights?

Thank you
Here we go again. The short answer to your question is: (drum roll please)

NO

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Freedom ('09), Imagination ('08), Victory ('08), Destiny ('08), RCCL Navigator ('08), RCCL Majesty ('08), Glory ('07), Liberty ('07), Fantasy ('07), Destiny ('06), NCL PofAm ('05), Fascination ('04), Victory ('04), Fascination ('04), RCCL Voyager ('03), Fantasy ('99)
Old July 12th, 2007, 01:08 PM
Passenger

Default From Carnival's website....

Is there a dress code for the dining room?

Depending on the length of the cruise, either formal dress or casual resort wear is required in the Dining Room. The dress requirement for children is the same. For those not wanting to dress up, the Lido restaurants are open nightly (with the exception of the last evening of the cruise), and have a casual dress code. Formal Wear: tuxedo (optional); suit and tie; sport coat, tie and slacks; evening gown; cocktail dress; pantsuit Casual Resort Wear: sport shirts and slacks; dresses; skirts; pantsuit NOTE: Shorts, t-shirts and bathing attire are not permitted in the Dining Room during dinner.
Old July 12th, 2007, 01:16 PM
Passenger

I B Cruzin- you are RUDE!

Thank you everyone else for your kind answers

Old July 12th, 2007, 02:58 PM
Admiral

Quote:
I B Cruzin- you are RUDE!

Thank you everyone else for your kind answers
Hahahahahahaha!!!! No. I am not. I just gave you the one word answer that you already knew. There was no need to expound on the subject. You asked and I answered. Period.

You want someone to tell you that it is o.k. to walk into the dining room with shorts on when you are fully aware that this is not only against the rules but is frowned upon by most other passengers.

Now, if you want to wear shorts to the dining room, you may or may not be stopped at the door but don't get your back hairs up when your need for validation is not satisfied on a public forum board.

I personally do not care what other people wear to dinner but I know that cruise decorum calls for a higher standard of attire during the evening meal than what the rest of the day requires. Can I adhere to that simple custom? Absolutely. Am I angry when others do not? Not at all.

P.S. There are three subjects that are sure to get people riled up on any cruise forum board. They are (a) jeans/shorts in the dining room; (b) babies in the hottub; and (c) smoking just anywhere on the ship. (smuggling liquor deserves honorable mention also). When you bring up any of those topics, you have to be prepared for the answer.

Happy Cruzin'

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Freedom ('09), Imagination ('08), Victory ('08), Destiny ('08), RCCL Navigator ('08), RCCL Majesty ('08), Glory ('07), Liberty ('07), Fantasy ('07), Destiny ('06), NCL PofAm ('05), Fascination ('04), Victory ('04), Fascination ('04), RCCL Voyager ('03), Fantasy ('99)
Old July 12th, 2007, 03:09 PM
First Mate

I don't know what ship you are on, but I just got off the Ecstasy and some of the men did wear nice shorts and shirts in the dining room.

Have a fun cruise,
Kathy
Old July 12th, 2007, 03:16 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by katluc
I don't know what ship you are on, but I just got off the Ecstasy and some of the men did wear nice shorts and shirts in the dining room.

Have a fun cruise,
Kathy
I was on the Liberty in June and on the first night the Maitre D made an announcement that shorts and jeans would not be allowed in the dining and the offending party would be sent back to their cabin to change their clothes or directed to the Buffet on Lido. (heard this announcement myself) Did they turn anyone away? I have no idea. I don't wear shorts or jeans on my cruises. I tend to stick with various types of sundress, evening tea dresses or capris all of which would be allowed in the dining room.

Happy Cruzin'

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Old July 12th, 2007, 04:32 PM
Passenger

I B Cruzin..... no I really didn't know, that is why I asked. I read the policy on attire and alcohol and everything else, I wanted to know if people were getting away with it, I guess I should have stated it that way. I was perpared for the answer, just not your Rude one!

Old July 12th, 2007, 04:48 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Casual dress

Quote:
can he get away with a nice shirt (Polo) and khaki/Linen shorts for the other nights?
The response was not rude. It did not however answer your question.

Nobody here can tell you for certain if "can he get away ...". The answer is maybe or mabe not.

SS Norway (12 times) '85 - '97; Radiance OS 06/01; Island Princess 11/04, Grand Princess 11/04/05, Golden Princess 7/21/06, Golden Princess 2/24/07, Explorer of the Seas 12/23/07, Island Princess 11/15/08
Old July 12th, 2007, 04:51 PM
Admiral

Quote:
I B Cruzin..... no I really didn't know, that is why I asked. I read the policy on attire and alcohol and everything else, I wanted to know if people were getting away with it, I guess I should have stated it that way. I was perpared for the answer, just not your Rude one!
What was so rude about my answer? It was not meant to be rude. It was meant to be funny. You are new and I apologize for taking a serious question lightly but stick around for awhile and you will see just that same question asked at least once ever week to 10 days.

Most people that ask that question are only looking for validation. I looked at your post count and saw you have being posting for a while so I assumed you already knew the answer. If you have been posting for more than a week or two, you would have already come across this question and all of the subsequent answers.

I wasn't being a smarty. In fact, it was just discussed about newbie questions and the age old "what can I wear to the dining room" question came up. If you do a search I am sure you will find hundreds of threads that start off with the very same question.

However, ask away. Someone with more forum decorum will give you an answer.

In truth, you can wear what you want. However, the Maitre D will determine if you eat in the dining room or are asked to return to your cabin and change clothes or to partake the buffet. It is just easier to come dress appropriately to avoid the embarassment of being denied entry into the dining room. A pair of long khakis and a decent shirt is sufficient for every night but formal night. If hubby hates dressing up or doesn't own suits, dress slacks, etc. (some people don't), bring one or two pairs of Khakis and a couple of shirts for him. No one will even notice if he is wearing the same outfit he wore two days ago.

Happy Cruzin'

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Old July 13th, 2007, 01:18 AM
Cruise Maniac

On the Liberty, as another poster stated, the Maitre D made an announcement that shorts would not be allowed in the dining room after the first night. Some women still wore the "dressier" city shorts with heels and were not asked to leave. I did not see any men wear shorts after that.

Monarch of the Seas - December 2006
Elation - April 2006
Sensation - May 2005