CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Carnival Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/)
-   -   credit card vs any expired magnetic strip card for the safe (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/336212-credit-card-vs-any-expired-magnetic-strip-card-safe.html)

Michelle1959 July 12th, 2007 04:30 PM

credit card vs any expired magnetic strip card for the safe

What difference does it make what card you use to open your safe?
I was going to bring along an old toys r us card as it has such a strip on it.

if you lose the card you brought for the safe can they just change that to one of your other cards?

Donna July 12th, 2007 04:36 PM

I'm sure they have a locksmith onboard in case of that kind of an emergency. We had a problem once too and they were able to open it, but it was the kind where you put your own 4 digit code into it. Its possible you'll have one of those as well.

IBCRUZIN' July 12th, 2007 04:37 PM

It doesn't matter which magnetic strip card you use. You are not suppose to use the same one for the cabin door though.

If you lose your credit card to open the safe, the purser's desk will send someone up to your cabin to open the safe and the you just have to use a different card. You can change cards each time you lock the safe.

Luanne Russo July 12th, 2007 05:23 PM

I agree. We always use the motel room card, where we have stayed the night before, when we cruise. That way we don't have to worry about bringing one.

Michelle1959 July 12th, 2007 06:14 PM

ah, I see - so my sail & sign will open my door, but I should use another credit card (not the one tied to the s&s) to be registered to open the safe?

I don't know if La Quinta hotels have room card - but don't you have to turn in hotel room cards anyway when you check out?

Luanne Russo July 12th, 2007 06:17 PM

Never turn in your cards. They contain all your info on the strip.

La Quinta has cards for the doors.

LacyBelle July 12th, 2007 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luanne Russo

La Quinta has cards for the doors.

For that reason, we brought along an empty gift card and it worked perfectly (like Michelle is proposing).

I doubt these safes are sophisticated enough to grab the personal information off the magnetic strip, but just in case they are we wanted something that had absolutely no personal info attached.

In these days of identity theft, you can never be too cautious. :!:

Bobby_G July 12th, 2007 06:38 PM

Quote:

not to start any controversy here, but I don't believe that is correct. I believe that is sort of an internet 'old wives tale'.

skymaster July 12th, 2007 06:43 PM

I always take my "Craftsmans Club" card from Sears. If I lose it, someone can get an extra good deal on a hammer! :shock:

Ken

Luanne Russo July 12th, 2007 07:01 PM

Bobby,

You could be right. I was in the Hyatt in Austin, and when I went to turn in my cards, they told me then, that either keep it or be sure to always insist that it be distroyed.

Bobby_G July 12th, 2007 08:46 PM

Quote:

Bobby,

You could be right. I was in the Hyatt in Austin, and when I went to turn in my cards, they told me then, that either keep it or be sure to always insist that it be distroyed.

Just to be sure, I will do some research and let you know. I have read stuff both ways but I think the evidence supports very little info is on a room key card.

Luanne Russo July 12th, 2007 08:50 PM

That would be great!! I am starting to collect these things. LOL

Michelle1959 July 13th, 2007 09:48 AM

thanks everyone, I have an Olive Gardan gift card I haven't used up yet - but it has a bar code, not a magnetic strip. I think I'll go get the cheapest Blockbuster gift card I can get, if those are also magnetic. If not, I'll find something that I can use after the cruise. I didn't think that I should use something without my info on it.

IBCRUZIN' July 13th, 2007 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michelle1959
thanks everyone, I have an Olive Gardan gift card I haven't used up yet - but it has a bar code, not a magnetic strip. I think I'll go get the cheapest Blockbuster gift card I can get, if those are also magnetic. If not, I'll find something that I can use after the cruise. I didn't think that I should use something without my info on it.

Don't spend any money for a card. Use any card with a magnetic strip. No one on the ship is going to "read" your personal info off of the barcode. The safes do not store the info. The card just has to have the barcode to open and close the safe. There are far easier ways to gain access to personal info.

I usually take along an old sail and sign card from a previous cruise. That way if I lose it on the ship, it is no great loss. I don't recommend you use a credit card or bank card only because there is an off chance that the safe will deactivate the magnetic strip.

Joe323 July 13th, 2007 11:16 AM

Woder if an expired Metrocard would work. That as anonymous as it gets LOL

Michelle1959 July 13th, 2007 11:36 AM

ok then, the expired toys r us gift card will have to do! :0

IBCRUZIN' July 13th, 2007 12:21 PM

a transit metrocard may be too thin. never thought of that.

i am sure an expired toy r us card will work fine.

Joe323 July 13th, 2007 12:26 PM

Actually I thought the MetroCard would be too thin also I think I'll use an old sail & sign card as previuosly suggested.

AlaskanGrown July 13th, 2007 12:33 PM

I use an old walmart gift card. I just grabbed it from the shelf put $5 on it to purchase the card, and proceded to spend it on my next purchase, now I use it and it works just fine. Really i dont even think you have to put money on the card when you get it... you can just take the card i think.