Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 16th, 2007, 08:05 AM
Passenger

Default Casual Dinner Nights

Regarding other than formal dress dinner nights..... is it permissible for men to wear nice dockers shorts and a polo to dinner? or are no shorts at all allowed or preferred.
Old July 16th, 2007, 08:12 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Casual Dinner Nights

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhornick
Regarding other than formal dress dinner nights..... is it permissible for men to wear nice dockers shorts and a polo to dinner? or are no shorts at all allowed or preferred.
No shorts in the dining room. Dockers are just fine for dinner on non-formal nights.

Life is too short to let the ship of your dreams sail without you.

Carnival Destiny Feb. 2006
Carnival Fascination Feb. 2007
Royal Caribbean Grandeur of the Seas Feb. 2008 The DTW & MsBJ tour
Carnival Valor MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2009
Carnival Glory MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2010
Carnival Dream MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2011
Old July 16th, 2007, 08:34 AM
Passenger

Dockers Shorts are OK for non formal nights? That's the question.
Old July 16th, 2007, 09:02 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhornick
Dockers Shorts are OK for non formal nights? That's the question.
I don't think they want any kind of shorts in the dining room even if they are nice ones...

Life is too short to let the ship of your dreams sail without you.

Carnival Destiny Feb. 2006
Carnival Fascination Feb. 2007
Royal Caribbean Grandeur of the Seas Feb. 2008 The DTW & MsBJ tour
Carnival Valor MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2009
Carnival Glory MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2010
Carnival Dream MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2011
Old July 16th, 2007, 09:10 AM
Admiral

dina is correct, short of any brand are not allowed in the dining room for dinner. They are fine for breakfast and lunch only. You can eat in the buffet area in them any night, even formal if you choose.

#36-Carnival Splendor 9/16/12
7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

#37-Allure of the Seas 11/11/12
7 night Eastern Caribbean

#38-Celebrity Solstice 4/8/13
17 night Tahiti -- Sydney-Honolulu
40th Anniversary Celebration

270 days at see; soon to be 302
Old July 16th, 2007, 10:17 AM
Passenger

Just got off the Conquest and they allowed everything from jeans to nice shorts to board shorts to muscle shirts in the Monet dining room. I was amazed especially since it says no shorts or tanks or jeans allowed in the dining room.
Old July 16th, 2007, 11:06 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by kk41
Just got off the Conquest and they allowed everything from jeans to nice shorts to board shorts to muscle shirts in the Monet dining room. I was amazed especially since it says no shorts or tanks or jeans allowed in the dining room.
Shorts are not allowed. Dining on the cruiseship is suppose to have some level of formal etiquette to it. A.K.A. CLASS. A lot of people cannot stretch to that level and feel that "casualizing" dinner to suite themselves while lowering the ambience of the other 3,000 passengers is o.k. because they are on vacation.

Sometimes the Maitre D will ignore the fashion no-no and sometimes the Maitre D will stop the offender at the door or come to their table and whisper in their ear that they are not properly attired. It really depends on the passenger load/itinerary/ship, etc.

If Carnival and the rest of the cruiselines decide to crack down on the phenom of Jeans/Shorts in the Dining room, there will be no warning (i.e., demise of the F Deck, confiscating smuggled liquor). Rather, it will just be a humiliating experience to be asked to leaving the dining because you are not properly attired. Once that happens, word will spread and people will decide rather than take a chance on being embarassed, they will just pack a pair of Khakis or two for dinner.

Something they could have done before hand.

In the cruise documents the issue of dress code aboard ship is covered.

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Freedom ('09), Imagination ('08), Victory ('08), Destiny ('08), RCCL Navigator ('08), RCCL Majesty ('08), Glory ('07), Liberty ('07), Fantasy ('07), Destiny ('06), NCL PofAm ('05), Fascination ('04), Victory ('04), Fascination ('04), RCCL Voyager ('03), Fantasy ('99)
Old July 16th, 2007, 11:12 AM
First Mate

I just got off the Sensation on Thursday.

On one non formal night while waiting for dinner I actually counted the amount of people wearing shorts, tshirts, and jeans because of what I heard here.

Ten percent of the people wore either jeans, shorts, or tshirts. Many had tshirts and shorts. The only thing I didn't see was bathing suits.

The atmosphere was so laid back. Wear what you want. They don't care.

Brian

Sensation
Old July 16th, 2007, 11:37 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxpm

On one non formal night while waiting for dinner I actually counted the amount of people wearing shorts, tshirts, and jeans because of what I heard here.

Ten percent of the people wore either jeans, shorts, or tshirts. Many had tshirts and shorts. The only thing I didn't see was bathing suits.

Brian
Sensation is an older smaller ship with a short itinerary. I would not suggest trying it on the Freedom, Liberty or any of the european itineraries. You may get away with it and you may not. If you don't pack better clothes and get on a ship with a stickler for a maitre d, you will send the entire cruise eating in the buffet. that would be a bummer.

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Freedom ('09), Imagination ('08), Victory ('08), Destiny ('08), RCCL Navigator ('08), RCCL Majesty ('08), Glory ('07), Liberty ('07), Fantasy ('07), Destiny ('06), NCL PofAm ('05), Fascination ('04), Victory ('04), Fascination ('04), RCCL Voyager ('03), Fantasy ('99)
Old July 16th, 2007, 03:28 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBCRUZIN'
Quote:

Brian
Sensation is an older smaller ship with a short itinerary. I would not suggest trying it on the Freedom, Liberty or any of the european itineraries. You may get away with it and you may not. If you don't pack better clothes and get on a ship with a stickler for a maitre d, you will send the entire cruise eating in the buffet. that would be a bummer.
IB, I told you we were going to lose formal night. It's already starting with non-formal and will spill over into formal. The last bastion of cruising. Oh no oh no.

Valor 2008
Triumph 2006
Fantasy 2004
Pride 2002
Imperial Maj 2001
Carnivalle 1994
Couple forgotten
Old July 16th, 2007, 03:52 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_G
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBCRUZIN'
Quote:

Brian
IB, I told you we were going to lose formal night. It's already starting with non-formal and will spill over into formal. The last bastion of cruising. Oh no oh no.

Hahahahahahaha!!! Don't panic. Don't panic. Nothing drives Carnival more than PROFITS!!!! Think of all of the pictures that Carnival sells at $19.95 a piece all because passengers get all doodyed up in their best wear and standing around. That has to be the highest profit generating feature of any cruise. And, with digital cameras, they are not even developing the pictures. They are simply printing out a picture onto photography paper from a reusable camera memory stick. What is it costing them to create one portrait? $0.02 maybe. Even if they only sell 50 percent of the pictures taken at $15.99 - $19.99 each, think of the profit margin in that.

For that reason alone, Carnival will never ever get rid of formal night. If anything, they may start to enforce it a bit more as their profits go down because of raising operating costs.

I.e, smuggling liquor aboard ship. When they were ready, they enforced the ban. Another good one is charging for beach towels that "disappear".

Carnival reads these boards so they know exactly what their customers complaints are. When they are ready, they will start to turn people away from the dining rooms without any advanced warning. A few short cruises and, problem will be solved.

Hardly anyone tries to steal the beach towels and most of us now know better than to bring a suitcase full of liquor onto the ship.

Patience, my young butterfly. Patience.

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Old July 16th, 2007, 04:32 PM
Admiral

IBCRUZIN,
Ok, but when one of these 'Formal non-conformist' has the ACLU filing a lawsuit because they 'don't wanna dress according to the rules', LOOK OUT.

Valor 2008
Triumph 2006
Fantasy 2004
Pride 2002
Imperial Maj 2001
Carnivalle 1994
Couple forgotten
Old July 16th, 2007, 04:46 PM
Admiral

Quote:
IBCRUZIN,
Ok, but when one of these 'Formal non-conformist' has the ACLU filing a lawsuit because they 'don't wanna dress according to the rules', LOOK OUT.
Dress code is in the contract that every passenger agrees to prior to boarding the ship. No grounds for a lawsuit.

Bobby_G are you cyber stalking me?

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Old July 16th, 2007, 05:25 PM
Passenger

Send a message via MSN to territrob Send a message via Yahoo to territrob

Just as a restaurant has the right to refuse service to someone who is not dressed appropriately, the cruise line can deny access to the dining room. Cruisers can still eat at the buffet. There is no ground for a lawsuit because the dress code is very clearly stated.

Old July 16th, 2007, 06:48 PM
Admiral

That was in GEST folks. Sort of.

No, I'm not stalking you. Don't even know if you are male or female.

Valor 2008
Triumph 2006
Fantasy 2004
Pride 2002
Imperial Maj 2001
Carnivalle 1994
Couple forgotten
Old July 16th, 2007, 09:14 PM
Passenger

I for one am looking forward to formal dining, one of the reasons we are not taking the kids is to dress up and I have a nice dinner.
I personally be a little disappointed to see shorts and tanks in the dinning room.

Old July 16th, 2007, 09:22 PM
Admiral

Quote:
That was in GEST folks. Sort of.

No, I'm not stalking you. Don't even know if you are male or female.
Aren't you on my cruise? If so, first foo-foo is on me.

Carnival Glory 09/29/07 -- immediately following the mustard dill.

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Old July 16th, 2007, 10:07 PM
Admiral

We sailed on the Carnival Liberty in June and the Maitre D' made an announcement the first night at dinner in the formal dining, "please, absolutely no shorts permitted in the formal dining room at dinner". We ate dinner in the formal dining room every night and never saw anyone wearing shorts. I could not see the Maitre D' from my table and was curious to know if he turned anyone away.
Old July 17th, 2007, 07:54 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosetattoo
We sailed on the Carnival Liberty in June and the Maitre D' made an announcement the first night at dinner in the formal dining, "please, absolutely no shorts permitted in the formal dining room at dinner". We ate dinner in the formal dining room every night and never saw anyone wearing shorts. I could not see the Maitre D' from my table and was curious to know if he turned anyone away.
I too was on the Liberty (05/26/07) and the Maitre D' made the same announcements. To be honest, I didn't notice (and may not have noticed) if anyone had on shorts but if the announcement is made, common courtesy mandates that you follow the rules. To force the Maitre D' to make a spectacle of you is uncalled for. I don't own long gowns or traditional "evening" wear. I do, however, own several very pretty dresses that can easily pass the smell test of Carnival's dining room requirements. They are the same dresses I wear to work. It is not all that hard to find something that will pass GO.

I don't care one way or the other how others dress. However, if dressing down diminishes the elegance of formal dining for other passengers, again, common courtesy mandates that fellow passengers sticks to the dress code.

If wearing khakis or dress slacks is so off the chart for any individual, by all means, take your meals in the buffet or through room service. Just don't impose your refusal to conform on everyone else. That, IMHO, is extremely rude and selfish.

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Old July 17th, 2007, 11:01 AM
Captain

Bobby:

I have to agree with you and you're right, it's unfortunate. Within the next few years, the "ultra casual" minded cruiser will be the majority of the folks on the ship. My feeling is they may keep some kind of formal night for folks who want it but might make it a different dining time or dining room from the folks who absolutely must wear their tank tops 24/7. I think it's more likely they will just eliminate it . Cruises that are 7 days or more may keep formal night since those tend to be older cruisers that probably enjoy the formal nights more than the tank top generation.

As for the pictures, I don't think it will matter. The tank toppers think they look great and are just as likely to have their pics taken by the fake sunset as anyone else. On a side note, I was thumbing through the high school yearbook of my friend's son the other day and looking at the senior pics...Not one kid dressed in anything nicer than a polo shirt...Used to be everyone dressed up like crazy for that senior pic. Unfortunatley, these same kids are going to be the majority of cruisers soon.
Old July 17th, 2007, 11:18 AM
Admiral

ready2board,
They already have a dining room for those who want to dress in shorts, tank tops, etc...its the buffet. I don't think formal nights will ever be eliminated, it's what cruising is about, tradition.

#36-Carnival Splendor 9/16/12
7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

#37-Allure of the Seas 11/11/12
7 night Eastern Caribbean

#38-Celebrity Solstice 4/8/13
17 night Tahiti -- Sydney-Honolulu
40th Anniversary Celebration

270 days at see; soon to be 302
Old July 17th, 2007, 01:27 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA Cruiser
ready2board,
They already have a dining room for those who want to dress in shorts, tank tops, etc...its the buffet. I don't think formal nights will ever be eliminated, it's what cruising is about, tradition.
I do hope you are right CA Cruise! I enjoy formal night. My husband and I hadn't had the opportunity to get all dressed for years, since we no longer work for a company that does the once a year Christmas Party thing. When we went on our first cruise 12/05 on the Conquest, part of the fun was shopping for our formal wear. (And we didn't spend a lot of money either!) Now we are set for a few cruises, until we just decide we want something new!

Cathy

Free Cruise Clocks
Carnival Conquest - 12/4/2005
Old July 17th, 2007, 02:22 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA Cruiser
ready2board,
I don't know CA...I'm not sure I agree it's all about tradition. I think it's more all about bottom line profits for the company and if they do marketing research in the future that suggests all casual all the time would fill more cabins, then why wouldn't they go that route, at least on the shorter cruises? Who would have ever thought, not very long ago, that people would be wearing shorts to church, weddings or on an airline (ashamed to admit I'm old enough to remember when people would dress in suits to fly on a plane..adults or children! ) As far as the youngsters, the only positive thing I can see in that regard is they are still dressing up for prom...I'm kind of amazed by that!

Anyway, hope you're right and I'm full of it on this issue Take care.
Old July 17th, 2007, 02:41 PM
First Mate

I agree. Formal night is formal.

Non formal night is about fun. I doubt very much that the Sensation is so old that you can wear less formal clothes. It didn't seem very old to me.

Everyone I met on the ship that worked for Carnival seemed very concerned about not offending anyone. They were really concerned about the comment cards. Even when I had a problem at the information desk the women said to me over and over that she wanted to make sure I was happy and would not jeopardize the "Exceed Expectations" rating.

All they cared about on non formal night was making you happy. As I said before, they really couldn't care less about what you wore unless it was offensive.

Brian

Sensation
Old July 17th, 2007, 05:25 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by ready2board
Bobby:

I have to agree with you and you're right, it's unfortunate. Within the next few years, the "ultra casual" minded cruiser will be the majority of the folks on the ship. My feeling is they may keep some kind of formal night for folks who want it but might make it a different dining time or dining room from the folks who absolutely must wear their tank tops 24/7. I think it's more likely they will just eliminate it . Cruises that are 7 days or more may keep formal night since those tend to be older cruisers that probably enjoy the formal nights more than the tank top generation.

As for the pictures, I don't think it will matter. The tank toppers think they look great and are just as likely to have their pics taken by the fake sunset as anyone else. On a side note, I was thumbing through the high school yearbook of my friend's son the other day and looking at the senior pics...Not one kid dressed in anything nicer than a polo shirt...Used to be everyone dressed up like crazy for that senior pic. Unfortunatley, these same kids are going to be the majority of cruisers soon.
That's fine - I'll be dead and gone by then. I just hope those who want to dress up 2 nights out of 7 are the majority right now.

Valor 2008
Triumph 2006
Fantasy 2004
Pride 2002
Imperial Maj 2001
Carnivalle 1994
Couple forgotten
Old July 22nd, 2007, 04:12 PM
Passenger

does the no shorts in dining room apply to teens or just adults?? Just went out and bought two pairs of Old Navy Chinos for 15 year old son, but he is much more comfortable in shorts (nice ones of course!) Will bring both just to be sure
Old July 22nd, 2007, 05:59 PM
Captain

It applies to everyone. You might remind your son that he can go back to the room and change right after dinner...It should be less than 2 hours for him in slacks...Shouldn't kill him, should it?
Old July 22nd, 2007, 06:03 PM
Passenger

ready to board-- it shouldnt kill him and he will have to deal with it!!

My Old Navy purchases will get good use!! Also had to buy him a pair of casual shoes to wear with these pants.... he lives in his sneakers and tshirts!!!