CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Carnival Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/)
-   -   INSPIRATION/ Tampa--Rental cars at Port? (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/336557-inspiration-tampa-rental-cars-port.html)

firsttimer41 July 19th, 2007 12:20 PM

INSPIRATION/ Tampa--Rental cars at Port?

My family will be taking our first cruise in August on the Inspiration out of Tampa.
My question is....Are there rental car companies located right at the port? If not, where is the closest place we can rent a car?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

adias.angel July 19th, 2007 02:52 PM

I don't remember seeing and car rental companies just shuttle services. The port area is very compact. But I believe that a few of the car companies will come pick you up for free from the port and take you back to their office to rent the car. Carla ;)

elsolt July 19th, 2007 04:38 PM

I'm taking the Inspiration in January, maybe you can let me know how you liked it and any pointers for my group of ladies going solo. How will you get from airport to port? We thought we would take a taxi do you have any better suggestions? Thanks

adias.angel July 19th, 2007 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elsolt
I'm taking the Inspiration in January, maybe you can let me know how you liked it and any pointers for my group of ladies going solo. How will you get from airport to port? We thought we would take a taxi do you have any better suggestions? Thanks

We did a taxi and it is a flat $22 from airport to pier (in city rate). There is a very good review by gofishgriff of the things he did. He just got back from the Inspiration. Carla ;)

skymaster July 19th, 2007 05:27 PM

The lovely Mrs. Jones (Vita) and I are sailing "Inspiration" day after tomorrow, so upon our return, I'll post and let you know what I thought. I've been aboard this ship a number of times, but it's been quite a while.
Taxi from the airport to the port would be my preference, since it's a short distance, and I'm quite sure there are no auto rental places at the port.

Ken

firsttimer41 July 19th, 2007 06:48 PM

Thanks to all who responded to my post.

We are actually flying into St Petersburg airport since we're flying Allegiant Airlines. We plan to take a cab from St Petersburg Airport to the Embassy Suites downtown Tampa. (We're flying in the day before the cruise) I'm sure the cab won't be cheap...but rental cars are worse than a cab if you're not returning the car to where you picked it up.
When the ship gets back in on Saturday morning, we're renting a car and driving back to St Petersburg for the day and flying out the next day. We're renting through AVIS.

So our first night in Tampa we'll be without a car, but staying downtown at Embassy Suites and it looks like there's plenty to do within walking distance.

Any suggestions while we're in St Petersburg/Clearwater area?

Thanks again!

elsolt July 19th, 2007 06:56 PM

Thanks for the info on taxi prices. Skymaster I look forward to your review of the ship. Enjoy your trip!!!!

skymaster July 20th, 2007 08:29 AM

I'd highly recommend driving up to Clearwater Beach for a look see. It's a beautiful beach, and I think you'll enjoy it. There are lots of other things to do here in the Tampa Bay area. It just depends on what you're likes, and dislikes are. We, of course, have Busch Gardens, but it can get a bit expensive, and this time of year, a bit HOT. (I think I'd stick to the beach) :D

I know you'll enjoy the Inspiration, and the Tampa Bay area. Any questions, just ask away!

Ken

Honeybear July 20th, 2007 03:54 PM

Last year we sailed from Jacksonville, we stayed a few days at a Holiday Inn or something like that. It was right on the beach and the price was great. There were several restaurants across the street from the hotel. It was a great set-up.

Is there anything like this in Tampa? We are going on the Inspiration in Oct. We aren't looking for a fancy place just clean and conveniently located, because we don't intend to rent a car and we'll be flying in the day before the cruise.

I've looked at the forum until I can hardly see! I love it, you guys are great! Thank you so much for all of your advice.