Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 24th, 2007, 02:27 AM
Passenger

Default scuba diving in Freeport, Bahamas

Has anyone gone scuba diving i Freeport? My husband and I are PADI certified and will be boarding Liberty this weekend.

If you have dove there....did you use the Carnival excursion?

If not, what company did you use to dive with?

Is there a certain dive site we should try and get to? ( I know theo's wreck is supposed to be great)

How does the price compare from the Carnival excursion to one we'd find on land?

I went to www.scubadivebahamas.com and they say $70 for a 2 tank dive (not counting rentals) and Carnival's is $99. Just checking to see why there is a difference in price.

Do dive trips fill up quickly on cruises?

This is my first cruise and I'm flying blind here so any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much!

victoria
Sponsored Links
Old July 24th, 2007, 07:27 AM
Captain

Sorry, never dove Freeport. But, Carnival's excursions will always be more expensive than independant operators. If you book through Carnival, the ship waits for your return in the event of any delay. With an independant, it's up to you to arrange airfare to the next port and meet the ship. The moral of the story bein, make SURE you use reputable tour operators.
Glory (eastern) 12/2006
Destiny 01/2009
Old July 24th, 2007, 11:13 AM
Passenger

Hi, we were just there last week and we booked on our own. We used Xanadu, http://www.xanadudive.com/. We tried Carnival but it booked really quick, my sister inlaw was able to book and there were maybe 16 people on the boat, so I called Xanadu and they told me as soon as I get off the ship to take a taxi ($14.00) to Xanadu Resort, the ride was about 15-20 minutes. There was no waiting, they got my husband, myself and another diver out the door and on the dive site withen 1/2 hour....it was great! our first dive was Theo's Wreck...Oh my gosh 106 feet, through the ship, around the ship, it was wonderful. Then we headed for our next dive, It was a small reef I can't remember the name, we saw a huge sea turtle and lots of fish. I would definitely recommend Xanadu. Keno was our dive master on the first dive and Ray was our dive master on the 2 dive.
If you any other questions please pm me

Old July 24th, 2007, 01:35 PM
Passenger

Xanadu it is! I called the scubadivebahamas people and they were all full so I called the Xanadu 800 number and the lady said we wouldn't make the 2 tank wreck/reef dive that starts at 8:30am b/c we'd have to get through customs and that takes a while. She gave me the name of Ray at the dive shop directly so I called him.

Ray said he'd put us down for the 2 tank dive and if we are running late to call him at the shop.

How long does getting off the boat take? We get in at 7am and this is our first stop. Any advice? Line up early? I've never been on a cruise so I don't know.

Thanks so much for your advice, now we get to do a great dive. I'm just a little nervous that we didn't pay for anything, he just put our name in the books.
Old July 24th, 2007, 04:25 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toribear5
Xanadu it is! I called the scubadivebahamas people and they were all full so I called the Xanadu 800 number and the lady said we wouldn't make the 2 tank wreck/reef dive that starts at 8:30am b/c we'd have to get through customs and that takes a while. She gave me the name of Ray at the dive shop directly so I called him.

Ray said he'd put us down for the 2 tank dive and if we are running late to call him at the shop.

How long does getting off the boat take? We get in at 7am and this is our first stop. Any advice? Line up early? I've never been on a cruise so I don't know.

Thanks so much for your advice, now we get to do a great dive. I'm just a little nervous that we didn't pay for anything, he just put our name in the books.

That is the same thing the lady told me, so we just took our chances. Be ready to go when they disembark for Freeport, I believe we were on deck 0 at 6:45 we walked on to the pier a few minutes later and halied a taxi, ask the price before you get into the taxi, do not pay more then $15.00.
We didn't put any money down for a reservation either and I was a little nervous but all that can happen is you wont make it for the 2-tank at 8:30 but will make it for the 1- tank at 10am. The cab ride was maybe 15min. so if your on the pier and in the taxi by 7:10-7:15 you will be fine.
Say hi to Ray and Keno for us, just tell Ray the man with the lady tattoo on his leg says hi.

ENJOY Theo's Wreck!!

Old July 24th, 2007, 06:49 PM
Passenger

Un fortunately they mostly do Theo's wreck on tuesday's and saturdays but Ray said we'd decide on the boat and if everyone's cool with going to that wreck, we'll go. They do this so the people diving with them for a few days in a row don't go to the same site.

So let's cross our fingers and I'll tell Ray you say hello!