CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Carnival Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/)
-   -   Door Decor (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/336786-door-decor.html)

hakmat July 24th, 2007 12:40 PM

Door Decor

My kids read somewhere that people will decorate their cabin door to make it easier to find. (perhaps a few too many margaritas :shock: )

Do people actually do this? And if so what kinds of things do they do?

Thanks
Hakmat

Dorothy July 24th, 2007 12:49 PM

One cruise we strung battery operated lights (although ended up moving them to the balcony), glitter pipe cleaners and something I can't remember on the door and in the mailbox. Another cruise had a red, white and blue duct tape Carnival ship (don't ask, my son was into duct tape at the time).

On my recent sisters and daughters cruise, I made big door posters. One that had pictures of all of the sisters (I'm one) both current and when we were little. The other was pictures of all their daughters, both current and little.

People would stop us in the hall and try to guess which daughter "belonged" with which mother!

And yes, it makes your cabin much easier to find after one too many drinks!

dorothy

Jeraudg July 24th, 2007 07:33 PM

I decorated our door on my wife’s birthday while she was at the Spa. She loved it ……. And so did everyone else! We left it up the entire cruise. Within days, all sorts of passengers and crew were wishing her Happy Birthday. Everywhere she went, news traveled fast. We had the best time.
S0……..DECORATE.

rosetattoo July 24th, 2007 07:57 PM

On our last cruise, there were quite a few stateroom doors decorated for anniversaries and birthdays....the birthday doors had large birthday balloons (not inflated) adhered to the door with streamers, etc. I don't know if the cruiselines frown on this but lots of people do it. I think as long as it doesn't interfere with foot traffic in the corridor, deface the door in any way or hinder the room steward from their tasks, they don't interfere.

flexiblekitten July 24th, 2007 11:09 PM

Yes decorate...it makes it much easier to find your door. However, don't use magnets. They don't work. Duct tape is Awesome for this purpose.

ferrangi July 24th, 2007 11:24 PM

Oh boy, this sounds like fun.... but I have to ask :?: since I've never been on a ship/cruise...
Are the cabins really that hard to find? Are they that much different than a hotel room? :-?

flexiblekitten July 24th, 2007 11:38 PM

yes, the halls are much longer than your typical hotel hall. It can be very intimidating. We had foam door hangers that were decorated with our groups name and cute little stickers on them. I (being over 40) could never remember the number to my room. Also my door hanging thing probably helped guide my hubby back to his room each night...after a night of cocktails. LOL

Dorothy July 24th, 2007 11:43 PM

And, for obvious reasons, your cabin number is NOT on your card!! So if you forget which room...I guess you have to go ask at the desk!

dorothy :o

trarecar July 25th, 2007 09:41 AM

That sounds like fun! I have some multi colored vinyl electrical tape that I have never used that would be awesome for this purpose!

ferrangi July 25th, 2007 10:33 AM

Okay thanks, that help to clear that up.
I'm hoping since we are about 3 cabins away from the elevator, we shouldn't have that problem... however, I'm still going to decorate, because that's the kinda girl I am... LOL

Dixie Lee July 25th, 2007 10:43 AM

We decorated our cabin doors on our Xmas cruise. Used suction cup hooks (the kind you would use in a shower). Got medium size hooks, worked great, no adhesive left on the door. Popped them off the door when we were packing up at the end of our cruise and have them for next time. Of course, these will only work if you are hanging a decoration. We had snowmen designed to hang from doorknobs, so for posters and such, hooks would not work.

hakmat July 25th, 2007 11:47 AM

I want to thank everyone for their posts on this topic. The kids are definitely psyched about decorating their door. Can't wait to see what they come up with.

Their next project is getting us invited to dinner with the Captain. They are instructing me on how to be "sophisticated and interesting" when we meet him or her :roll: . I'm betting on my kilt.

Aye yours,
Hakmat

Carnival Valor August 5

Cejay July 25th, 2007 12:58 PM

I think that I will decorate my door with anniversary stuff. This is for our 20th anniversary and I think I'll get a few ballons and maybe go have one of our wedding pictures blawn up and put on our door. It helps that I looked good in those pictures, but of course every bride does. This is sounding like so much fun.

Michelle1959 July 25th, 2007 01:38 PM

I created a document that has a different page for each day of our 4-day cruise. For Sunday (embark), it says: It's Sunday and we're sailing to the Bahamas" and has a large photo of Sensation.

For Monday: it sayd "It's Sunday and we're in Freeport" with photos of Freeport excursions and shops, etc...

I'll use a plastic page protector and tape it up to the door, slipping in each day's page.

I wouldn't use balloons, etc, as they will bounce all over and be an annoyance to people trying to walk by