Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 24th, 2007, 06:58 PM
Admiral

Default New smoking policy on RCCL...is Carnival next?

Now that Royal Caribbean has instituted a new non-smoking policy in all their staterooms, do you think Carnival will follow their lead?
Sponsored Links
Old July 24th, 2007, 07:14 PM
First Mate

I hope so...

Brian

Sensation
Old July 24th, 2007, 07:33 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

You can almost bet on that one....the rest of the major cruiselines as well.

Message Boards Moderator
Old July 24th, 2007, 07:37 PM
Captain

I'm thinking those balconys are going to be more expensive than ever on RCI and more in demand....darn!!!

Smoking does not bother me, so I dont care and sort of hope Carnival doesnt follow suit. Disney has the same policy already that RCI is trying and it seems to mean that those who do smoke just smoke on even more balconies so those sensitive are complaining more than before.

Good luck on collecting on the charge of $250 that RCI wants to tack on, it may be a problem if its like hotels. I know on some credit cards for hotels, they are not allowed to tack on damages unless you agree and sign for the charge. If you dispute the charge it will be automatically removed. Credit card companies are not going to get into it if its a matter of your word against someone who cleans your room/cabin's word, so it simple is not allowed (by contract). It doesnt mean the hotel wouldnt bill you for it privately, but it is hard to collect.

So I hope Carnival doesnt do it, its a can of worms.
Old July 24th, 2007, 07:42 PM
Cruise Maniac

Gosh I hope so! I seriously could do without the smoking!

Carnival Spirit 11/07
Carnival Paradise 12/01
Carnival Elation 12/99
Old July 24th, 2007, 07:47 PM
Captain

In case you have not read it yet....

Quote:
Q: What is the Smoking Policy onboard?A: Effective
January 2008, smoking is only permitted in designated
areas and outdoors on the Starboard side of the ship
(contact the Guest Relations Desk for details).
Smoking is not permitted in any dining venue, theater,
hallway or corridor. Smoking is not permitted inside
any stateroom, however, it is permitted on private
outdoor balconies of balcony staterooms. A $250
penalty will be applied to the SeaPass for guests
found smoking in staterooms. Cigarettes, cigars and
pipe tobacco must be properly disposed of and never
thrown overboard. A guest must be at least 18 years of
age to purchase, possess or use tobacco onboard.

The new policy will go into effect aboard 18 of 21
ships initially, with Legend of the Seas, Rhapsody of
the Seas and Splendour of the Seas following suit with
the 2008 summer season.
Old July 24th, 2007, 07:51 PM
Passenger

The policy did not stop smoking on Carnival Paradise, but it sure did help…a lot!

[Holiday '86 & Holiday '92; Caribe '90; Imagination '95; Seaward '97; Sensation '99; Fascination (Millennium Cruise) '00; Carnival Triumph '01; Carnival Pride '02; Paradise '03 (Smoke Free); Carnival Glory '04 (+3 extra Hurricane Days) & Carnival Glory '05; Inspiration '05; Carnival Mirical '06; Elation '06; Carnival Spirit (HAWAII) '07; Imagination '08; Glory '09; Carnival Freedom '10 & '12; Carnival Fantsey '10 & '11 & '11: NEXT Carnival Breeze 6/13]
Old July 24th, 2007, 11:35 PM
Admiral

first I beleive it did stop smoking on the Paradise, it also didn't work. Because it wasn't totally successful I would guess Carnival will be one of the last to put a non smoking policy into effect, but sure it is coming. All the lines will follow suit. NCL was the first, they announced their new regulations about 10 days ago, RCI yesterday.

Nita
Old July 24th, 2007, 11:52 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Quote:
NCL was the first, they announced their new regulations about 10 days ago
NCL didn't announce anything, they just slipped the change into place, with no press release or announcement. A REAL disservice to their customers IMHO.

NCL's policy does allow smoking in guest cabins, and on their balconies.
RCIs disallows smoking in their cabins, and only allows it on the balconies.

Whatever policies the cruise lines want to put in place is fine with me, but have the fortitude to announce it, and let customers decide, don't slip it in and mess with already booked passengers. It makes me feel like I cant trust their business practices... which raises many more areas of concern in my mind.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old July 25th, 2007, 10:46 AM
Admiral

I am unsure if Carnival will try to implement the no-smoking policy. Carnival has experience with this type of thing from the Paradise's days as a non-smoking ship. It obviously was a complete failure because they did away with the policy. Plus Carnival's demographics are probably a bit more tolerate of other people's choices than some of the other cruiselines.

It seems that the only "new" place that passengers can't smoke is in their cabins. That is going to cause all kinds of problems for non-smokers who have a cabin next door to a smoker. This is forcing the smoker to stand on their balcony and smoke which means the smoke will bother the non-smokers around them even more. Trust me, these cruiselines are going to make more problems for themselves because non-smokers are going to complain about the smoke that bothers them when they are on their very expensive balcony which would be true. Unless they try to put all the smokers in one part of the ship which won't work at all. Sounds like the making of a mess.

Another thing is the problem with people throwing butts off the balconies. There will be more of that also. If you forget your ashtray, you will throw the butt in the ocean rather than take a chance on bringing the cig into the cabin to get the ashtray and running up a fine. It is just a mess. Just a big ole mess.

If I am on my balcony, I don't want to have to deal with cigar smoke (which I don't like at all). But if the cigar smoker can't take the cigar inside his cabin, he will have to be outside.

I don't think it is a matter of comfort but probably a policy of safety. I smoke but have no real problem not smoking in my cabin. That is not the worse thing in the world because I am never in my cabin anyway and since I don't have a balcony, I don't smoke in there too often because it makes the cabin smell like cigarette smoke which will and does end up getting in your clothes and hair. I smoke but enjoy the habit on the outside much better than on the inside.

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Freedom ('09), Imagination ('08), Victory ('08), Destiny ('08), RCCL Navigator ('08), RCCL Majesty ('08), Glory ('07), Liberty ('07), Fantasy ('07), Destiny ('06), NCL PofAm ('05), Fascination ('04), Victory ('04), Fascination ('04), RCCL Voyager ('03), Fantasy ('99)
Old July 25th, 2007, 07:30 PM
Admiral

As a non-smoker, I just wish all these cruise lines would build smarter ships than bigger ones!

The technology is out there. A $400.00 Oreck can clear a room the size of a cabin from smoke in 2 mnutes and requires no outside venting.

Just a little bit of thought and both smokers and non smokers would be more comfortable and have the conveniences they are paying for.

If it is Carnival and it floats....we have sailed it!

Hubby ... DIAMOND (every ship except the Carnivale)
Me ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale)
20 year old son ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale...he is the only DOUBLE Milestone under the age of 21)
24 year old son ... DIAMOND
Old July 27th, 2007, 09:03 PM
Cruise Maniac

Pipes and cigars should not be allowed in any public indoor place period and especially not in a cabin. Once cigarette smoke settles it is in the fabric and stuck on any surface. A non-smoker can smell it a mile away. I can only stand it because people don't seem to be in their cabins long enough when they are awake to smoke much.
It is much more expensive for any establishment to keep up areas where there have been smokers. Any kind of tobacco smoke breaks down fabrics and surfaces much sooner than no smoke. It will be cheaper for the cruiselines to cut down on the smokers. Unless of course they decide to quit cruising.
Quit cruising because it isn't handy to smoke, something that will eventually kill you or make your health hell before you die, what kind of statement is that? The statement of an addict.
Carnival Dream-Oct 2010-Eastern Caribbean
RCL Oasis-May 2010-Western Caribbean
Carnival Fantasy-April 2010-Mexico
HAL Ryndam-Sept 2009-Alaska
Carnival Holiday-May 2009-Cozumel
Carnival Celebration-April 2008-Key West, Nassau
Carnival Liberty-May 2007-Panama Canal
Carnival Miracle-Apr 2006 (1st for DH)- Mexico, Belize
Carnival Holiday-Feb 2005-Mexico
Carnival Fascination-Dec 2000-Nassau