Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 25th, 2007, 11:35 AM
Admiral

Default Princess cruise passengers die-small plane excursion crash

how horrible! I feel so sorry for their families as well as the other cruise passengers, who had to continue their cruise after such a tragedy.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/07/25/ala...ash/index.html

People who go on small planes and helicopters are really asking for it.
They are not safe!
Sponsored Links
Old July 25th, 2007, 11:46 AM
Admiral

Princess permanently cancelled all excursions with this tour company. This means it was a ship excursion. Boy what a mess.

So sorry for the passengers. I never felt safe enough to go on any of the small plane/helicopter tours.

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Freedom ('09), Imagination ('08), Victory ('08), Destiny ('08), RCCL Navigator ('08), RCCL Majesty ('08), Glory ('07), Liberty ('07), Fantasy ('07), Destiny ('06), NCL PofAm ('05), Fascination ('04), Victory ('04), Fascination ('04), RCCL Voyager ('03), Fantasy ('99)
Old July 25th, 2007, 03:26 PM
Cruise Maniac

oh my, that is horrible, I hate small planes and helicopters. You won't catch me on one of those.

Carnival Valor November 2008
Carnival Fascination February 2008
Carnival Glory September 2007
Carnival Imagination September 2006
Carnival Fascination May 2005
Royal Caribbean Sovereign of the Seas May 2001
Carnnival Ecstasy May 2000
Old July 25th, 2007, 03:48 PM
Admiral

How sad.

Even reading of this accident, if I were in Alaska, I would be tempted to take one of these types of excursions. I know that the cruise lines have carefully checked all the tour operators that they contract with, regarding their safety record. I may be the exception, in my thinking, though.
Mariner of the Seas

HAL Statendam Alaska Cruise Tour - 09/09/12; Disney Magic - 12/01/12; Allure of the Seas - 05/26/13
Old July 25th, 2007, 04:49 PM
Beginner

So sad! My prayers go out to all the families.
I just want to put a face to one of the couples.
This is from my local newspaper.
May God look over them.
http://www.telegram.com/article/2007...ERT01/70725002
Old July 25th, 2007, 05:29 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by shlameggy79
oh my, that is horrible, I hate small planes and helicopters. You won't catch me on one of those.
Yes, it is horrible. However, the size of an airplane has nothing to do with whether or not it will crash. The laws of aerodynamics that keep an airplane in the air are the same regardless of whether it is a 4-seat propeller airplane or a 250-seat jumbo jet. The plane that crashed was a Beaver Dehavilland, one of the most reliable small airplanes ever built in the history of aviation. These airplanes are very popular in Alaska as float planes and bush planes.

I'm sure this will hurt the aviation related shore excursions for all cruise lines in Alaska, but eventually the cruisers will return to the air in these planes to see the glaciers and landscape of Alaska.

I do have a shore excursion planned on a float plane for my cruise to Alaska planned in September, I really hope RCI doesn't cancel it now because of this.

Majesty of the Seas - 10/03 & 02/07 & 11/08
Enchantment of the Seas - 10/04 & 10/11
Mariner of the Seas - 10/05
Vision of the Seas - 10/06 & 09/07
Carnival Liberty - 10/07
Adventure of the Seas - 9/08
Ruby Princess - 12/09
Voyager of the Seas - 9/10
Carnival Spirit - 11/10
Oasis of the Seas - 9/13
Old July 25th, 2007, 05:44 PM
First Mate

Thank you kakarp. It is a nice news article about the couples.

Pat

RCL Radiance
CCL Splendor
HAL Zaandam
CCL Elation
CCL Spirit
HAL Statendam 2x
HAL Ryndam 2x
Old July 25th, 2007, 06:34 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Wow, what a horrible accident. Those small plane rides are very popular up in Alaska, they pretty much run all the time when ships are in port. I was actually thinking about trying something like that if and when I ever get up there again, now I'm re-thinking it.

Message Boards Moderator
Old July 26th, 2007, 01:59 AM
Captain

My heart and prayers go out to the families of those lost in the accident. Small airplane travel is a way of life for many in Alaska. We travel to and from remote parts of the state on these planes every day. Compared to the number of flights per day in the state the accident rate is very low. I'm not trying to say any accident is acceptable, just that I hope this accident will not affect those of you who otherwise might enjoy a flight seeing tour in our great state.

AKcruiser
Old July 26th, 2007, 10:39 AM
Captain

my prayers go out o the families
Old July 26th, 2007, 10:46 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to Honeybear

Quote:
Yes, it is horrible. However, the size of an airplane has nothing to do with whether or not it will crash.
I agree this is horrible! However please remember all of the car accidents you hear and we don't stop driving.
I certainly don't mean to make light of this but I was in an airplane crash several years ago. I was unconsious for a long time but in Oct when I cruise, "I'm" flying! The plane we crashed in was a small Cessna and yes, I have been back in another one.
I also have had a car accident but I'm driving to the airport. Please, don't ever let fear take over your life.
Old July 26th, 2007, 12:05 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Honeybear:

Well said. If someone doesn't want to fly in a small plane then that is there decision but the safety record for Alaskan float planes and helicopters, and aircraft in general, is far better than driving.

I doubt that few people stopped flying into Midway, Charlotte, Dallas, JFK, La Guardia, (not including 9/11/01) Charlotte NC., Lexington KY. and Miami because of fatal crashes that occurred there. There have been other crashes, worldwide, but these are U.S. crashes within the last six years. This was the first crash of an Alaskan tour plane in 21 years.

I wouldn't hesitate to book a flightseeing trip with an operator that has a clean maintenance record and a pilot with a high number of flight hours.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me