Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 26th, 2007, 01:23 AM
First Mate

Default Just Back from the DESTINY

My family and I just got back from the DESTINY and was a little disappointed. Don't get me wrong, we had a good time, but we found it to be not as exciting and hoping as the other Carnival ships that we had been on.

For an example, Friday night my daughter went to the late night party from 10:00 - 3:30 in the morning and my husband and I had expected to find things to do like music out on the Lido Deck or a party, because the next day was a day at sea, so everyone could stay up late and had no shore excursions to go to. There was absolutly nothing at all. My husband and I could not believe it. They had a party during the middle of the week when people had shore excursions planned the next day and had to get up early. To me, that made no sense at all.

Then a few times instead of having 2 shows, one for the early seating and one for the late seating, they just had 1 show at 10:30 for everyone. After 10:00 p.m., Camp Carnival charges extra, so we took our daughter to one show and one show we just did not go to because it was to late and we had to get up early.

Another thing was that by were you get your drinks on the Lido Deck and in the Sun and Sea restaurant, there was this awful smell which I could not figure out what it was. It was making me so sick. My daughter slipped and fell on a spill that nobody cleaned up. She fell so hard on the floor that she bruised her spine and elbow. I took her down to the infirmary and they told me to put ice on it and gave me some Ibufrofin.

I am sorry to complain so much, but I just found it strange for a FUN SHIP to be this way.

Ok, enough of the complaints and on to the good stuff. Our waiter staff was just great, especially one waiter named Gerad (a.k.a Gary). I am telling you, he was so funny, especially when it came to the shows. I am not going to give it away for people who are booked on the Destiny. We were in the Universe Dining Room, which was very nice. Our room steward Edi was also very nice.

5 islands is a little tiring, so you just have to pace yourself and try not to do so much.
Sponsored Links
Old July 26th, 2007, 12:19 PM
Cruise Maniac

Destiny was one of my first Carnival cruises, but we sailed on it in 1995 and we had a fabulous time. I agree they should have more entertainment on those evenings when you don't have to get up early to do your shore excursions, it can be disappointing when you expect things and it don't live up to your expectations. I was on a Carnival cruise in May and we were also very disappointed with their entertainment. I understood it was a older ship, but they should try to do their very best to entertain their guest, considering all the money we spend on these cruises. That's why Royal Caribbean is my favorite cruise line.

Jessie
CCL: Celebration 5/07
Crown Princess 10/07

Free Cruise Clocks
Old July 27th, 2007, 01:59 AM
Passenger

Awwww Tweety,

I'm sorry that everything didn't work out so well with your cruise.... I should have warned you about the shows, I had forgotten about the crazy times they had till you mentioned it... I hope your daughter is better now. I didn't know about the late night party after Antigua or better yet the no late night party.... To tell you the truth we were so worn down by then it was all we could do to just make the buffet. Missed the second formal night to say the least...
Old July 27th, 2007, 12:43 PM
First Mate

Hi Joey,

Don't get me wrong, my family and I had fun, but I guess we were comparing this cruise to the other cruises and I guess we shouldn't do that.

My husband and I just found it strange that there was really not much happening on this cruise compared to the other cruises and they were all Carnival except 1. Maybe it is because the DESTINY went to 5 islands and people were tired, I don't know. I think they should have planned it better though. They planned late night parties in the middle of the week when some people had shore excursions to go to the next day and had to get up early, where as on Friday, and the next day was a day at sea and people didn't have to get up so early, they had absolutely nothing happening.

Please don't get me wrong, I am usually not a complainer and like I said we had fun, but I just didn't get the whole planning part.

Tweetybird
Old July 28th, 2007, 01:34 AM
Passenger

I know that your not complaining and it is a good point that you make.... It was a wild cruise for us, went at it like a sprint..... We just didn't get to do to much late night partyin', had excursions lined up for every island so everyday we were up and at 'em....

They could have done some things better I'm sure, but with 5 islands in 5 days I guess the crew is tried from having to tie the ship off everyday... ....

Joey
Old July 28th, 2007, 09:43 AM
First Mate

Hi Joey,
We are usually not late night partiers either, but I figured we are on vacation, so lets stay up later than we usually do. I guess we tried to do to much. On our next cruise, whenever that will be, I am just going to sit back and relax and enjoy.

I heard that the Destiny is going to be taken out of service in a year or so, is this true?

Tweetybird
Old July 29th, 2007, 01:02 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweetybird
Hi Joey,
I heard that the Destiny is going to be taken out of service in a year or so, is this true?

Tweetybird
I sure hope they take the Destiny out of service so I can do another southern carib cruise. IMHO, the Destiny is the stepchild of cruiseships to Carnival. One reason there are so many ports is maybe so that people are not are the ship much or expect too much from the ship.

Destiny should be put out to pasture. Its day has passed. For whatever reason, it has not aged as well as the Fantasy class ships. I too enjoyed my cruise (because of all the port stops) but found the Destiny experience could use an infusion of new cruise blood. It is the oldest ship still being used for 7 night itineraries. All the ships its age or older are doing 2-5 day cruises.

It seems almost as though the Destiny is really a 3-4 day cruiseship being forced to do 7 day itineraries. Go figure.

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Freedom ('09), Imagination ('08), Victory ('08), Destiny ('08), RCCL Navigator ('08), RCCL Majesty ('08), Glory ('07), Liberty ('07), Fantasy ('07), Destiny ('06), NCL PofAm ('05), Fascination ('04), Victory ('04), Fascination ('04), RCCL Voyager ('03), Fantasy ('99)
Old July 29th, 2007, 01:28 AM
Passenger

That is news to me tweety.... I will have to disagree somewhat to your assessment of the Destiny IB.... Yes the Destiny is the oldest of its class as a matter of fact it is the only ship of its class... The route that the Destiny takes also doesn't bode well on any type of ship... Many of the same complaints that are directed at the Destiny are also directed at the AOS which plys the same waters with the same basic route and islands...

There seems to be no middle ground with this ship and its iteniary, one either has good time and would do it again or they hate it and want to burn the ship and everyone on it..... Maybe if Carnival could work out something with the Barbados government and base the Destiny there, the mood of the ship would change.... I don't know but I do now that we had a good time on this cruise and would do it again, not right away, but we would in the future if all the stars line up......

Joey
Old July 29th, 2007, 06:31 AM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

Tweety,

I am sorry that things were right for you. It happens sometimes and you wonder, "what were they thinking" Hopefully the next one will be better.

Luanne
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old July 29th, 2007, 11:11 AM
First Mate

I am sorry to complain the way I did about the Destiny, because I usually have a good time no matter where I go, and don't get me wrong, I did. I should be very thankful that my family and I got to go on a cruise. Many people don't get to go anywhere.

Maybe it was just that I was really exhausted. I am so use to having 2 days at sea, where I can just sit back and relax, where this trip, I didn't get do that. I know that it was my own fault. We try to do to much in so little time. We stayed up late to see some of the shows and got up very early for the shore excursions.

My daughter just loved the slide, because it didn't go directly into the big swimming pool, it went into a little wading pool. Unlike the other ships, where it goes directly into the big pool.

Well, if my family and I ever get to go on another cruise, I am definelty going to relax more and not try to be superwoman and do to much.

Tweetybird
Old July 29th, 2007, 02:46 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Troutt
That is news to me tweety.... I will have to disagree somewhat to your assessment of the Destiny IB.... Yes the Destiny is the oldest of its class as a matter of fact it is the only ship of its class... The route that the Destiny takes also doesn't bode well on any type of ship... Many of the same complaints that are directed at the Destiny are also directed at the AOS which plys the same waters with the same basic route and islands...

There seems to be no middle ground with this ship and its iteniary, one either has good time and would do it again or they hate it and want to burn the ship and everyone on it..... Maybe if Carnival could work out something with the Barbados government and base the Destiny there, the mood of the ship would change.... I don't know but I do now that we had a good time on this cruise and would do it again, not right away, but we would in the future if all the stars line up......

Joey
I loved the cruise for the ports -- could not be beat. The ship experience left a lot to be desired. It is what it is.

There are so many issues regarding the Destiny that I wonder at what point Carnival will address them and make some sort of changes to that itinerary. If there was a ship that did the southern caribbean leaving from Florida or somewhere on the mainland, I would probably take that particular cruise on a yearly or every other year basis. As it stands, because of the ports, I do plan to cruise the Destiny again. However, it will not be for the ship. And yes, many of the issues that the Destiny has are also experienced on the RCCL Adventurer of the Seas, but to a bit of a lesser degree. RCCL AOTS is also an older ship that has not been as loved by the cruiseline as some of their other ships.

It is almost like both of these cruiselines keep upgrades, modernizations, repairs and refurbishing on these two ships to a minimum -- One can guess why but I don't go into it here.

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Freedom ('09), Imagination ('08), Victory ('08), Destiny ('08), RCCL Navigator ('08), RCCL Majesty ('08), Glory ('07), Liberty ('07), Fantasy ('07), Destiny ('06), NCL PofAm ('05), Fascination ('04), Victory ('04), Fascination ('04), RCCL Voyager ('03), Fantasy ('99)
Old July 29th, 2007, 08:45 PM
Passenger

IB, I think that I can hear what your thinking but it is ashame that these 2 cruiselines don't foster a better cruise from San Juan if they intend to continue to sail from there.... The islands are so close together that the ship never gets above 50% power to cruise from one to another..... Maybe a fantasy class ship would do better from there but would a passenger take on the added expense of leaving from SJ for a 5 day cruise?.....

Tweety, you have nothing to be sorry about.... The questions and the issues that you raised are indeed concerns that many passengers feel.... I will be the first to admit that I was a tired cruiser when I returned home, not the feeling one should have after returning from vacation..... I put on my comment card that I would have liked to have seen the sea day in the middle of the cruise instead of the last day. Sorta give you a day to recharge and then you could have your second formal night then also, but who am I...

Joey