Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 26th, 2007, 09:27 PM
Passenger

Default Original birth certificate vs Certified copy

We'll be cruising in 16 days!!! I have a question regarding birth certificates. We did NOT get passports because we couldn't receive them in time...Therefore we're using birth certificates. I can get "certified copies" for $15.00 each for the four of us. (I can get them the same day) Should I get the certified copies or just use our originals? I'm not worried about losing the originals, but just checking for others' opinions. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old July 26th, 2007, 09:35 PM
Admiral

If your BC's are government issued (NOT hospital BC's) you'll be fine this year with them and a DL (for the adults). Do your BC's have a raised or holographic official seal? If not you'll be better off ordering new BC's.

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old July 26th, 2007, 09:38 PM
Passenger

Yes, our birth certificates are REAL, government issued. They all have the raised seal. I work as a nurse on an OB floor and have had to tell many new parents that the "hospital birth cerfiticate that we give them is NOT a real birth certificate." And yet many people still believe that it is...
(The ones with the footprints)
Old July 27th, 2007, 09:47 PM
Admiral

You'll be fine with your government issued BC's this year. You know the difference !

Hope you all have a wonderful cruise!

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old July 27th, 2007, 09:48 PM
Beginner

Default Birth Certificates

I have use the hospital issue (with the footprints) on my last 9 cruises with no prolems. I will be using it again in Oct for the 10th time.
Old July 27th, 2007, 11:10 PM
Passenger

Send a message via MSN to territrob Send a message via Yahoo to territrob

Now you've got me worried. We didn't have time for passports either so was just planning to use birth certificates. Had lost son's several years ago so already got a nice new official one for him but mine is a little 4x6 piece of paper with no raised anything on it. It's not the hospital one with footprints. It's the only one I've ever had and it's obviously really old (don't want to say how old ). Who should I call to ask about it?

Old July 27th, 2007, 11:11 PM
Passenger

That really surprises me that they've let you use the hospital issued certificates. There's really no way of knowing that they're authentic. I could make you one just like it any given day at work...HA! Well either way, I'm glad it worked for you. The less hassles, the better.
Old July 27th, 2007, 11:14 PM
Passenger

You know, my orginal birth certificate which was issued in 1964 (yes, I'm OLD) is about 4x6 also and just a very faint raised seal, BUT, it's the authentic one from the state I was born in. Funny thing about female's birth certificates is that the name on them, if you're married, doesn't even match your driver's license.
My 14 year old's certificate is about the size of a credit card and my husband's is HAND WRITTEN!!!!!. I'll bet they've seen everything!
Old July 27th, 2007, 11:35 PM
Familiar Face

Send a message via AIM to carolincanada Send a message via MSN to carolincanada
Default Re: Original birth certificate vs Certified copy

Quote:
Originally Posted by firsttimer41
We'll be cruising in 16 days!!! I have a question regarding birth certificates. We did NOT get passports because we couldn't receive them in time...Therefore we're using birth certificates. I can get "certified copies" for $15.00 each for the four of us. (I can get them the same day) Should I get the certified copies or just use our originals? I'm not worried about losing the originals, but just checking for others' opinions. Thanks
Hi There. I am not sure if you live in Canada, but if you do and were born in Quebec, your original birth certificate cannot be over 4 years old. If it is over 4 years old, then you need a new original birth certificate. Have a great cruise.
Old July 27th, 2007, 11:52 PM
Passenger

Very interesting about the Canadian birth certificates....I'd have a hard time updating every 4 years.....Good thing I'm where I'm at...
Old July 28th, 2007, 01:23 AM
Passenger

Send a message via MSN to territrob Send a message via Yahoo to territrob

Mine is even older than yours firsttimer! I looked at it carefully but could not see or feel a seal. I did notice the bottom says that copies are 50 cents each. Now that's old! Do I need a copy of marriage license to show name change? Don't have that.

Old July 29th, 2007, 10:21 PM
Familiar Face

Send a message via AIM to carolincanada Send a message via MSN to carolincanada

Hello: Yes you need a copy of your marriage certificate, ONLY IF YOU WANT YOUR MARRIED NAME ON THE PASSPORT. Don't forget this only applies in Canada, I don't know about other countries. Also, when I said you need to update every 4 years....that is ONLY if you were born in Quebec. Hope this helps.