Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 30th, 2007, 10:34 AM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to kmkline
Default Glory question

I am looking to possibly cruise in Nov 2008 (if I can talk my hubby into it ) on the Glory.
The ports that this cruise offers are Coumel, Belize, Costa Maya and Nassau. We have a very large family so we need to budget our money.

Can anyone offer some information as to what we should see or do in these ports that isn't going to cost us our first born. Ha ha ha

I have also read that the lower decks are cheaper but you can hear the waves hitting the ship? Is this true?

Thanks for your help

Karen
Sponsored Links
Old July 30th, 2007, 10:58 AM
Admiral

You can only hear waves hitting the hull on the very, very front cabins. If you book a cabin mid-ship you'll love the lower decks. In fact, I wouldn't hesitate to book any cabin from about ten cabins back from the bow, to about 10 cabins forward from the stern. The more center, the better.

Ken
Old July 30th, 2007, 02:13 PM
Captain

You can save quite a bit booking a "guaranteed" rate rather than selecting a specific stateroom. This method assures you'll get AT LEAST that category stateroom on the lowest deck OR BETTER and costs less than booking the lowest deck. Just tell your TA you wanna book a Cat 4, 6, or 8 "guarantee". Also, Carnival offers discounts to veterans if you qualify. Your family can head to the beach in Nassau and Cozumel saving money on expensive excursions. Chankanabb Park would also be great for the family in Cozumel. The admission is around $14pp and you can get a taxi right there at the port. Cave tubing is the thing to do in Belize, and I highly recommend booking an excursion there since there's nothing at the port itself. Never been to Costa Maya, when we did Glory western it stopped in Progresso instead.
Glory (eastern) 12/2006
Destiny 01/2009
Old July 30th, 2007, 03:11 PM
Passenger

Thanks for your help...
I would try to book a guaranteed room but with a group our size we need 3 rooms and don't want everyone scattered all over the ship.

Thanks again

Karen
Old July 30th, 2007, 04:32 PM
First Mate

We are doing that Glory cruise in a little over a month.

We have been to Nassau twice this year already.
Lots of things to see and do for little money. (other than the Straw Market, Bay Street shopping and Atlantis. My 3, least favorite places in Nassau)
Definitely no need for a ship's excursion in Nassau.

From my research, Cozumel is the same.
Tons of things to do, without having to book a ship's excursion.

In Costa Maya, most people either seem to stay at the little Port area, that the cruiselines built to keep the money flowing to them.
Or the rest of the people take a cab into the tiny village of Majuhual, 2 miles down the coast.
It is a very small village (supposedly they just got electricity in the last decade or so.) with a dirt main street and tiny restaurants and bars, dotting the coastline.

In Belize, it seems that you can book your own excursions, but even seasoned cruisers seem to book ship excursions there. (which we did choose to do, to be on the safe side.)

Bill
Sept. 18, 2010 -
Sept. 19, 2009 -
Inspiration - Jan. 10, 2010- Grand Cayman, Cozumel
Freedom - February 8th, 2009 - Key West, Grand Cayman, Ocho Rios Jamaica
Glory - September 8th, 2007 - Key West, Cozumel, Progresso, Nassau
Sensation - Freepor-Nassau
Jan. 28th, 2007 -
Sept. 10th, 2006 -
Old August 6th, 2007, 02:04 AM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClevelandRocks
<snip>Chankanabb Park would also be great for the family in Cozumel. The admission is around $14pp and you can get a taxi right there at the port. Cave tubing is the thing to do in Belize, and I highly recommend booking an excursion there since there's nothing at the port itself. Never been to Costa Maya, when we did Glory western it stopped in Progresso instead.
I agree with the suggestions above. We went to Chankanabb to do the dolphins, but you can snorkel there too. In Belize we did the cave tubing with Greenwood Adventures. We thought it was great and will be arranging this tour for my kids & grandkids in February. Here is their website if you are interested http://www.belizecavetubing.net/index.html In Costa Maya we went to the Mayan ruins. The private tour was wonderful and cost about half of the ship tour. Here is the website if you are interested http://thenativechoice.com/cr.php Ask for Ivan to be your guide. He speaks very good English and is very knowledgeable. Again we will be booking this tour for my family in February when we will visit on the Glory. My Kids want to do the dolphins in Chankanaab. In Nassau we will visit Atlantis. We found that the private tours we have done leave plenty of time to get back to the ship. It's their business and one mistake will kill them on these forums. They are a lot cheaper than the ship tours.
Old August 6th, 2007, 08:34 AM
Passenger

Thank you so much for all the information....it will be very helpful with our plans

Karen
Old August 6th, 2007, 08:42 AM
Cruise Maniac

We were on a budget also . we went on the Glory in April 2005 and just this past April 2007 to the Eastern . We went to Nassua and did the pubic Beach that is free two hotels away from Atlantis (wonderful) FREE FREE FREE . Ther do have banana boats and parasailing and jet ski for a charge. They also sell drinks in a coconut for $10.00 all day mixed or koolaid cant beat that. It cost 5.00 round trip fpr the taxi which droped you off right in front of the beach. When we wnt to Cozumel You can also go to Paridise beach which is all free ou can buy a wrist band for around $10.00 which you can use all there stull a water trampoline water iceberg snorkle paddle boats . they also have food and drinks pretty cheap. In belize we went there twice so far we did the cave tubing fo $68.00 per person which it included two caves instead of one that most of them use and it also included a chicken dinner. The second time we did a snorkle at caye calker for aroung $60.00 wshich included beach and snorke. In Costa maya we went we did the Dolphin encounter thru Carnival which was $168.00 which it included the dolphins all food ,all drinks, all activities it was really great. Then we went back to the pier which has everything A huge pool shops food drinks music . We are going again in April of 2008 and we are gonna just hang ther all day for free plus your food and drinks . Have a great time on her. We did twice and maybe a twird.

Read and post cruise reviews

Carnival Freedom May 2010
Carnival Liberty January 2009
Carnival Freedom April 2008
Carnival Glory April 2007
Carnival Miracle March 2006
Carnival Glory April 2005
Old August 7th, 2007, 04:35 PM
Beginner

Just give up the first born you can make another.

!