CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Carnival Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/)
-   -   Checking in from the Sensation... (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/337224-checking-sensation.html)

Michelle1959 August 1st, 2007 10:23 AM

Checking in from the Sensation...

I will have a details travelogue to type up and post upon our return, however, let me state we are hooked on cruising! Way too hot and humid here, otherwise love cruising! Thank god the ship is a/c! We'll be home on Friday, I'll post later in the day Sat. Ian loves our cabin and immediately claimed the bed under the window. He's up in the video arcade as I type a few quick emails. We only are room service menu so far but today I'll be bringing lunch and dinner to our room from Seaview Bistro.

Floridanamaw August 1st, 2007 11:27 AM

Glad things are going good. Enjoy what's left of the cruise, they go by way to fast :!:

Joe323 August 1st, 2007 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Floridanamaw
Glad things are going good. Enjoy what's left of the cruise, they go by way to fast :!:

Yes they Do Glad your having a great time

IBCRUZIN' August 1st, 2007 12:01 PM

Re: Checking in from the Sensation...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michelle1959
I will have a details travelogue to type up and post upon our return, however, let me state we are hooked on cruising! Way too hot and humid here, otherwise love cruising! Thank god the ship is a/c! We'll be home on Friday, I'll post later in the day Sat. Ian loves our cabin and immediately claimed the bed under the window. He's up in the video arcade as I type a few quick emails. We only are room service menu so far but today I'll be bringing lunch and dinner to our room from Seaview Bistro.

Why are you eating in your room.

msblackjack August 1st, 2007 12:15 PM

live it up! eat in the dining room - it is actually quite fun

ClevelandRocks August 1st, 2007 12:30 PM

We only are room service menu so far but today I'll be bringing lunch and dinner to our room from Seaview Bistro.

W-H-A-T-? :roll: Room service wouldn't feed a bird. And, the lido buffet is great for breakfast, OK for lunch, but fails miserably for dinner. Get down to the dining room, meet some new friends, and get yourselves a good meal. You're missing half the experience if yah don't sample the dinner menu. Even "I" clean up well enough to eat dinner in the dining room!

Luanne Russo August 1st, 2007 12:45 PM

Have Fun Michelle!!!

papa2cool August 1st, 2007 12:52 PM

oH YEAH! Eat in the dining room. You've already paid for it, so you might as well eat your share of the goodies! I'm not a fancy person at all, but when we cruise I will be sure to take in the dining room. It will be the only time that I will get to eat in a restaurant like that!
Dewayne & Priscilla

IBCRUZIN' August 1st, 2007 01:55 PM

I don't think they let you take food from the buffet to your cabin.

skymaster August 1st, 2007 02:52 PM

Don't be like one couple I heard about, who upon debarkation, found out that the food in the dining room was included, and had gone to the buffet or room service for the entire cruise to save money! The dining room is half the fun IMO! Live it up, and get on down to the dining room to enjoy the food and company, and entertainment put on by the wait staff. :D

Ken

Luanne Russo August 1st, 2007 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IBCRUZIN'

Yes, you can take what you want, and some ships have trays to help you carry it better.

bguppies August 1st, 2007 03:09 PM

Actually, if I remember correctly, the reason they are probably eating in their cabin, was because Michelle had stated early on that her son was an extremely picky eater.

Bill

IBCRUZIN' August 1st, 2007 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bguppies
Actually, if I remember correctly, the reason they are probably eating in their cabin, was because Michelle had stated early on that her son was an extremely picky eater.

Bill

Then the buffet should be perfect.

IBCRUZIN' August 1st, 2007 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luanne Russo
Quote:

Yes, you can take what you want, and some ships have trays to help you carry it better.

Yeah but I thought they try to discourage you from carrying a tray full of food to your cabin.

In all of my cruises, I have never seen anyone walking around with anything more than a pizza, sandwich or burger. Have never seen anyone with a plate full of hot food heading off to the cabins.

Irish Shark August 1st, 2007 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bguppies

Or that she wants to adjust her $10/day tip as she previously posted.

msblackjack August 1st, 2007 03:48 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Yeah but I thought they try to discourage you from carrying a tray full of food to your cabin.

In all of my cruises, I have never seen anyone walking around with anything more than a pizza, sandwich or burger. Have never seen anyone with a plate full of hot food heading off to the cabins.

I have seen people taking trays of food back to their rooms - usually, one or the other person staying in the cabin is either too sick, or too sunburned to get out of the cabin. You can even get dining room food to go when you are traveling with someone that can't make it to the dining room. (on one of the cruises, my SO had the dreaded virus, I had to take his food back to him from the dining room and everyone was very understanding) Lots of people like to eat on their private balcony.

I have done it before and along the way, the steward even helped me.

linuxpm August 1st, 2007 04:57 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I saw trays and dirty dishes in the hall on more then one occasion. The trays were the same ones as the buffet.

I am not sure why you would want to unless you weren't feeling well.

Brian

Gail F August 1st, 2007 05:40 PM

Not everyday, but a lot of time I will go make a big salad, or get lunch and go eat on our deck, I love that more then eatting in the lido.

RedhairNFreckles August 1st, 2007 06:45 PM

The OP wrote this post on May 16, 2007 and it probably explains why she doesn't want to eat in the dining room.....
************************************************** ************************************************** ********************

on the same subject, what about meals you don't eat?

For my 4-day cruise, there will be
sunday: lunch and dinner
monday - 3 meals
tuesday - 3 meals
wed - 3 meals
thursday - breakfast

So that is 12 meals total.

I'm planning to have room service breakfast every day so that means I will be tipping the room service person, so that brings down the meals outside of the room to 8.

Based on the menus and my son's picky eating, we will likely only eat one lunch and one dinner in the dining room, and eat at the buffets or lido deck restaurants (pizza, deli, etc.) all other lunches and dinners. Are these considered in the tips or are the tips only meant for the dining rooms?

So how do I adjust this for tips at the end of my cruise?

I will of course give my steward a tip based on service quality.

msblackjack August 1st, 2007 07:24 PM

I understand that she is on a very tight budget - but she really should try the dining room for each meal, breakfast, lunch and dinner - the food in the dining room is so much better. But then again, she may not be a "foodie" ... well worth the $10.00 tips for that day!

Michelle1959 August 4th, 2007 08:17 AM

I didn't adjust the tips at all and we never walked into a dining room. I'm not a person who lives based on food - I was there for the experience of being on a ship , not eating on a ship. And yes, my son is very picky. If I go on a cruise alone or with another adult, of course I would eat in the dining room. But NOT doing so this time had no affect on my trip. Other than I came home a few pounds lighter than when I left home, due to all the walking up and down stairs - waiting for the elevators was an exercise in stupidity!

No one enjoys fantastic and healthy food more than I do, but it's not the center of my universe, and should not be the focus of a cruise.

I did bring back pizza for us a couple of times from the Bistro as well as a delicious burger for me and I used trays that were provided.

ClevelandRocks August 4th, 2007 08:28 AM

but it's not the center of my universe, and should not be the focus of a cruise.

Ahhhh, but it's the experience of something new you missed. International cuisine prepared by international chefs is as much of the experience as international ports/people. Can't really say you didn't miss anything if you didn't try it.

Floridanamaw August 4th, 2007 09:46 AM

Like Michelle we didn't go on a cruise for the food but to enjoy the ship and ports. We ate in the dining room twice. The rest of the meals we were perfectly content to eat at the buffett or get pizza. We also came back a few pounds lighter because we walked so much and didn't overdue the food. Our next cruise we may or may not eat in the dining room more, I dont know, but it's not the main focus of the trip. Michelle, hope you had a great time.