CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Carnival Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/)
-   -   Carnival Victory hit NYC Passenger Ship Terminal (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/337271-carnival-victory-hit-nyc-passenger-ship-terminal.html)

Phil&Liz August 2nd, 2007 10:56 AM

Carnival Victory hit NYC Passenger Ship Terminal

Dina broke this story in Chit Chat but for those that don't frequent that section of the board........

Aug 2, 2007 8:32 am US/Eastern

Carnival Cruise Ship Bumps NYC Pier
(CBS) NEW YORK It was a rough landing for a cruise ship on Manhattan's West Side Thursday morning.

The "Carnival Victory" hit the Passenger Ship Terminal pier pretty hard at around 7: 30 a.m.

The ship's bow suffered some minor damage, as did the pier, which is located on 56th Street and 12th Avenue.

There's no word yet on what caused the ship to bump the pier.

No injuries were reported.

ClevelandRocks August 2nd, 2007 12:42 PM

Doesn't the pilot dock the ship? Sounds like they had an astronaut instead of a pilot. :wink:

Phil&Liz August 2nd, 2007 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClevelandRocks
Doesn't the pilot dock the ship? Sounds like they had an astronaut instead of a pilot. :wink:

Now thats funny !!

Phil & Liz

dina August 2nd, 2007 01:39 PM

Hmmmm That doesn't bode well for the next set of people who want to leave. I would expect any time a ship is damaged that they have to make sure its safe to take out again.. Wonder how long that takes..

Thank you for the update on this one.

IBCRUZIN' August 2nd, 2007 01:41 PM

I was scheduled to be on the Fantasy right after the hit and run collision by the tug boat and its barges. It took all day long but at 5 p.m. Carnival cancelled my cruise. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

saleaaway August 2nd, 2007 09:16 PM

great
any word on whether this is going to put this out of commission? I'm sailing in Feb.

brettsmom August 2nd, 2007 09:41 PM

I am worried out her being out of commision for a while also. We sail in October out of Norfolk..... :-?

Chefkel22 August 2nd, 2007 09:44 PM

saleaaway-

When you sail her in Feb? We are schedule for the 17th on the Eastern trip.

tweetybird August 2nd, 2007 09:47 PM

I B Cruzin

I am sorry to hear that they cancelled your cruise. What happens now?

saleaaway August 2nd, 2007 10:04 PM

Hey chef us as well. Spring break for the kids.

saleaaway August 2nd, 2007 10:08 PM

just spoke to carnival,, Victory went out today. I guess it was just a bump,,my comment was bump in my car is a bit different than a bump with a cruise ship

I feel better anyway :)

subtropic August 2nd, 2007 10:23 PM

It looked like a fender-bender to me. It is my understanding that the captain does not control the ship in situations like this.

IBCRUZIN' August 2nd, 2007 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tweetybird
I B Cruzin

I am sorry to hear that they cancelled your cruise. What happens now?

Long story short, they refunded 100% of the cost of the cruise, $200 towards changing our travel arrangements (airline, etc.) and 25% discount on the next 3-5 day cruise. However, I was able to use my 25% discount on my 8 day liberty cruise. As long as it is not cash money out of Carnival's pocket they are very flexible.

It took 10 days to get a refund to my cost of hte cruise credited back to my account and almost 3 months to get the $200 travel expenses out of them.

Oh well, these things happen. We were never in any danger and all is well.

brettsmom August 3rd, 2007 01:22 AM

Just saw a picture of the damage. Looks like it was a pretty good "bump". I wonder how long it takes to repair something like that and when they plan on doing it....

dina August 3rd, 2007 08:24 AM

Well thats good news... YAY for the passengers who were sailing on her.

Joe323 August 3rd, 2007 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brettsmom
Just saw a picture of the damage. Looks like it was a pretty good "bump". I wonder how long it takes to repair something like that and when they plan on doing it....

Did thay call Maaco? LOL Seriously I'm glad no one was hurt

Chefkel22 August 3rd, 2007 12:54 PM

saleaaway-

Us too. Where abouts in NY are you?

saleaaway August 4th, 2007 12:17 PM

In a suburb of Albany called Clifton Park. How about you.
Do you have your flights yet? Oh my god what a treat they were to get because of the week.

Chefkel22 August 7th, 2007 10:10 PM

saleaaway-

Yes, we know Clifton Park. We are from the Syracuse area - actually east of the city.

Yes, we booked our flights. We like to book ourselves and go do a day or so early. With the history of last February we decided to pull the kids out of school and we are leaving on Thursday and spending a couple days in the Miami area.

How about you guys? When do you head out? Do you leave from Albany? We can sometimes get better deals if we fly out of Rochester rather than Syracuse.

Do you have any teens traveling with you? We have 3 teens and one 11 eyar old in our parties. Are working on a couple other families.

Is this a first cruise for you? Our 5th - all with Carnival.

saleaaway August 9th, 2007 06:15 PM

Hey Chef

This is actually my ninth cruise, but the first in quite a while. I took custody of my three grandkids going on three years now so we didn't travel much at first. Ty was only 18 months.
I have one that will be 10, another 7 and Ty will be almost five when we leave in Feb.
We are going down the day before and staying the day after. Found the flights to be less expensive that way besides who knows what the weather will be like in feb.
I head towards you guys next weekend. My family all lives in Erie so I'm across 90 every few months or so.

Should try and keep in touch a bit before we go.
email at home is saleaaway@aol.com

Elaine