Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 3rd, 2007, 06:43 AM
Passenger

Default port of tampa

has anybody gone out of the port of tampa, i am going out of tampa october 8 for western carribean. i am flying into tampa 2 days before the cruise just curious on tampa,how is it
thanks for the info in advance.
Sponsored Links
Old August 3rd, 2007, 09:03 AM
Captain

Tampa is a VERY cool port to sail outta! The terminal facilities aren't the best, but the ship sails way down the channel, under the Sunshine bridge , then out to sea. Both sides of the channel will be lined with folks eating/drinking at the seaside businesses and waving to the cruise ships. Since you'll be there a couple days early, as were we, I suggest visiting Clearwater. Lots to do there at the beach and dockside establishments. When you get to the cruise terminal, drive past the parking garage and into the turn around in front of the terminal. They'll take your bags there and return to the garage. Which ship/itinerary are you doing? We did Sensation to Grand Cayman/Cozumel from Tampa and it's AWESOME!
Glory (eastern) 12/2006
Destiny 01/2009
Old August 3rd, 2007, 09:09 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to jack124

we stayed at the hilton and took the shuttle over to a great mall, hung out at the blue martini. great way to relax before and after the cruise.
Old August 3rd, 2007, 09:13 AM
Admiral

Cleveland is right. Tampa is a very good, very easy port to sail out of. We recently sailed the Inspiration, and without a doubt that's the best short cruise we ever took. The Legend is also excellent, and if you're sailing her you'll totally enjoy your cruise as well.
Tampa has a lot to do in the two days you have before your cruise, and once again, I agree that a trip to Clearwater Beach is a must. Beautiful area, and beach. You've got Busch Gardens, the Florida Aquarium, and lots and lots of other "stuff" to do.
Hope you enjoy your cruise, and the Tampa area. If you have any specific questions, just ask away.

Ken
Old August 3rd, 2007, 10:04 AM
Admiral

another Floridian here to hail the Port of Tampa. This is absolutely an amazing port to sail out of; the hour or so it takes to get to the skyway has some great veiws and geesh, going under the skyway COOL!.

the port facilities although not "pretty"; they do get you in and out efficiently!!!!!!

clearwater beach/st pete beach: lots of nice pubs on the water to toast a sunset.

or even staying near the port you have lots to do: channelside shopping/restaurants; 3-D theatre; Florida Aquarium, Ybor City just a short cab ride a way
Valor Feb 2009: Dina & Marty - again
Grandeur Feb 2008: DTW, Dina & Marty
Inspiration May 26, 2007
Fascination: Feb 2007
Enchantment of Seas: Sept 2006
Imagination (3x)
Radiance of the Seas
Majesty of the Seas
The Big Red Boat
Old August 3rd, 2007, 10:25 AM
Passenger

Clearwater Beach is real cool . Vist pier 60 in the evening ,it is a lot of fun and the street entertainers are very fun to watch . And you dont have to spend a bunch of money

Old August 4th, 2007, 07:13 AM
Passenger

Default port of tampa

i am going on the inspiration, to cozumel and grand cayman, i have all ready done this itinery but we are going with my buddy and his girlfriend and this is the only time to go, its ok it is still vacation, but i have not been on the inspiration just the imagination out of maimi
Old August 4th, 2007, 08:33 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to Honeybear

We are going out of Tampa Oct 13. We chose this first, by the date (work), but second because its going out of Tampa! Tampa is the easiest port we ever went out of. Have a great trip!
the SENSATION

"Friends are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly."
Old August 4th, 2007, 02:16 PM
First Mate

I love the trip out to sea because you have your entire cruise in front of you. Leaving out of Tampa takes over an hour so you'll have lots to see.

Here's a picture to get you started!

Carnival - Spirit: Alaska (August 8, 2007)
Carnival - Miracle: Exotic Western Caribbean (April 9, 2006)
Royal Caribbean - Explorer of the Seas: Eastern Caribbean (January 2005)
Old August 6th, 2007, 10:37 AM
Cruise Maniac

Guess it's all been said already, but just to reiterate, the Port of Tampa is one of the best. Easy to get in and out and the sailing out is great! have fun!

Conquest 6/05
Triumph 2/06
Holiday 5/06
Miracle 2/07
Glory 6/07
Holiday 2/08
Holiday 2/08 (B2B)
Legend 1/09
Spirit 5/09
Holiday 8/09
Triumph 12/09
Valor 5/10
Old August 6th, 2007, 03:19 PM
Cruise Maniac

I give up, no more posting today for me. Im sorry agan.
Old August 6th, 2007, 03:20 PM
Cruise Maniac

I'm so sorry, I don't know how I'm doing this. Double post.
Old August 6th, 2007, 03:33 PM
Passenger

I'd sail out of Tampa again in a heartbeat. Friendly, helpful porters and valet parking, traffic in and out a breeze, easy access to airport and Interstate highway....beats Miami hands down on all counts IMO.
Old August 6th, 2007, 09:56 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by chascougs
I'd sail out of Tampa again in a heartbeat. Friendly, helpful porters and valet parking, traffic in and out a breeze, easy access to airport and Interstate highway....beats Miami hands down on all counts IMO.
agree, I have sailed out of Miami 4 times now and amazed that even though I am familiar with the area, can't believe how easy it is to make a wrong turn -- or get cut off by another driver.... just crazy -- just too much port traffic.
Valor Feb 2009: Dina & Marty - again
Grandeur Feb 2008: DTW, Dina & Marty
Inspiration May 26, 2007
Fascination: Feb 2007
Enchantment of Seas: Sept 2006
Imagination (3x)
Radiance of the Seas
Majesty of the Seas
The Big Red Boat
Old August 8th, 2007, 03:38 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobRen
I love the trip out to sea because you have your entire cruise in front of you. Leaving out of Tampa takes over an hour so you'll have lots to see. Here's a picture to get you started!
Okay, I'll try again today. I have tried my best to thank you for the pic! I seem to mess up each time, lol. I have printed it out to share with my family if that's alright with you? It is a beautiful pic and I sure do want to thank you for sharing it with us!
the SENSATION

"Friends are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly."
Old August 12th, 2007, 02:13 PM
Passenger

Default Live in Tampa

I actually live in Tampa and have cruised out of the Port of Tampa two times. Comparing it to Miami and New Orleans it is hands down the best. New Orleans is the worst by the way.

Make sure you check out Ybor City which is just north of the port. Have dinner or find a favorite bar and have a few drinks. Try the Columbian resturant.. a nice place to get dinner. There is also an Improv comedy club there. From Ybor you can hop on the trolly and head over to the port (called the Channelside District). There are some great resturants over there too as well as an Imax theater. They even have a nice bowling alley that has some good sushi.

http://ybor.tbo.com/
http://www.channelsidetampa.com/

Happy Sailing!
Rob in Tampa
Old August 12th, 2007, 09:04 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Ro

We have been on the Inspiration twice out of Tampa all because we loved that ship and the port of tampa. We live in Tarpon Springs Florida so it was a short driving distance from our home. The cruising out of the port and under the Sunshine Skyway bridge was the most awesome sight we ever saw. Our cruise the first time was late leaving due to some sort of mechanical problem and we sailed right under the sunshine bridge when it was totally lite up at night. It was a magical sight to see. The port was easy to manever inside as was the parking lot. You'll have a great time on the Inspiration and make sure you have your camera ready for when you sail under the bridge.

Inspiration-2004, 2005, 2009
Glory- 4/26/2009
Sensation -4/2007, 10/2009
2/2010 & 11/3/2011
Old August 14th, 2007, 11:10 AM
Beginner

I'm sailing out of Tampa on the 14th of October. We have a late flight out of Tampa on the day we pull back in. Does anyone know if there is a place we can store our luggage until the 8pm flight home? (I know I should have never booked this late of a flight, but it did save us 250$ per person!)
Old August 14th, 2007, 11:22 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by merri
I'm sailing out of Tampa on the 14th of October. We have a late flight out of Tampa on the day we pull back in. Does anyone know if there is a place we can store our luggage until the 8pm flight home? (I know I should have never booked this late of a flight, but it did save us 250$ per person!)
I haven't personally seen this, (didn't look for it!) but I've been told that there are lockers right at the port of Tampa, where you can store your luggage while you go to the aquarium, ybor city, or wherever.

Ken
Old August 14th, 2007, 12:13 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Some hotels will let you store your luggage there if you roomed at that hotel before your cruise?
I'm going on the INSPIRATION on OCT 14! Same ship?
Deena63@verizon.net
the SENSATION

Old August 14th, 2007, 01:00 PM
Beginner

We are on the Legend. We are looking forward to it because this is the first cruise that we are bringing our children on. They are 7 and 8.
Old August 14th, 2007, 01:17 PM
Cruise Maniac

We almost chose the Legend but we were looking for a five dayer this time. DH's first cruise. lol
the SENSATION

Old August 14th, 2007, 01:17 PM
Yeoman

Quote:
Yep, we did it. Right when you get off the boat on the left hand side is small room. I think its some kind of shuttle reservation desk. But if you go in and ask right there they store your bag for just a couple dollars a bag. BUT I believe they told us they closed at 5 pm. Carla