Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 6th, 2007, 12:09 PM
Passenger

Default Anybody know anything about Progreso, Mexico??

I have seen only one post in the past few months about Progreso and it didn't sound very good. Going on the Ecstacy Oct 29 to Progreso and Cozumel. This is my first cruise and yes I tend to be a scaredy cat!! lol I'm excited and nervous all at the same time. I've never been to Mexico, everyone seems to love Cozumel, so I'm not as worried about it there.

Please help the panic prone!! Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old August 6th, 2007, 01:22 PM
Captain

Progresso is a vacation spot for Mexican nationals. We visited in the winter and the town was pretty much empty, but the folks onboard who stuck around enjoyed their stay. We took a bus tour to Meridia and really enjoyed it. We weren't expecting much, but the ancient town is rich in Mayan/Spanish culture. It's also a great place to shop. The ship docks at the end of a 5 mile pier and you must take a bus on/off the pier even if you don't go on an excursion. We did notice the water at the beach was not as clear as other Caribbean ports we've visited. I put up a couple of photos in the gallery that might help. One of the beach at Progresso and one of the square in Meridia. If the pictures don't post, here's the link.

http://www.cruisemates.com/gallery/view.php?id=3297

(alt+p)

(alt+p)
Glory (eastern) 12/2006
Destiny 01/2009
Old August 6th, 2007, 02:08 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClevelandRocks
Progresso is a vacation spot for Mexican nationals. We visited in the winter and the town was pretty much empty, but the folks onboard who stuck around enjoyed their stay. We took a bus tour to Meridia and really enjoyed it. We weren't expecting much, but the ancient town is rich in Mayan/Spanish culture. It's also a great place to shop. The ship docks at the end of a 5 mile pier and you must take a bus on/off the pier even if you don't go on an excursion. We did notice the water at the beach was not as clear as other Caribbean ports we've visited. I put up a couple of photos in the gallery that might help. One of the beach at Progresso and one of the square in Meridia. If the pictures don't post, here's the link.
I looked at your pictures Cleveland, and have a question. The beach you show in the picture at Progresso, is that at the end of the pier, like walking distance from where you would get off of that bus. Is there a charge for riding that bus?

Thanks,
Cathy

Free Cruise Clocks
Carnival Conquest - 12/4/2005
Old August 6th, 2007, 02:21 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwr322
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClevelandRocks
I looked at your pictures Cleveland, and have a question. The beach you show in the picture at Progresso, is that at the end of the pier, like walking distance from where you would get off of that bus. Is there a

charge for riding that bus?

Cwr322,

No, there isn't a charge for riding the bus from the ship to the town of Progreso. The bus will let you off by a market area. You can easily walk to the beach from there. (We shopped at the market first.)

We have been to Progreso quite a few times, and usually rent a car and drive to Merida. We go to the historic square in Merida. We have also gone to Chichen Itza. These ruins were recently placed on the 7 Wonders of the World list, and are really amazing. There is an excursion from the ship going there. It is a 2 to 2 1/2 hour drive, but is worth it.

Have fun!!

Libragirl

Thanks,
Cathy
Old August 6th, 2007, 02:39 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

I was there, post surgery 5 yrs. ago, and, since the pier is VERY long, decided to stay onboard.

Most people coming back to the ship, who stayed in port, and didn't take the tour to Merida, were disapointed. The people who toured Merida, adored it, and my pal, has since gone back to Merida, & stayed for weeks at a time.

One odd thing on our cruise, while in port, the ship had tons of flies onboard!! Strange!

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old August 6th, 2007, 04:35 PM
Captain

The beach you show in the picture at Progresso, is that at the end of the pier, like walking distance from where you would get off of that bus. Is there a charge for riding that bus?

Yes, in fact, the pier you see in the picture is where you'll dock. It really is 5 miles long. And like Libragirl said, the busride to land is free whether you've booked an excursion or not. I highly recommend the Meridia highlights and shopping tour. BUT, if you're adventuresome, Chichen Itza would be AWESOME! As I said, we were very pleasanly surprised by our stop in Progresso. Cozumel it ain't, but we enjoy the quaint, less developed areas.
Glory (eastern) 12/2006
Destiny 01/2009
Old August 6th, 2007, 08:07 PM
Passenger

I enjoyed Progreso, an untouched city, not yet motivated by tourism.
We walked the streets to the farmacia (for dramamine) and the bank to make currency exchange. Not speaking a word of Espanol, we found the merchants and bankers to be very helpful and friendly.

After the non-descript but free bus ride on the longest pier in the world (due to the shallow waters) you are dropped of at a small market place. Vendors will yell out to you to come buy their souvenirs. Just outside the market walls is the city. People and cars of the city moving about doing their daily chores. The beach is walking distance away. We chatted with a gal who does beach massages and had a nice conversation. She told us prices are cheaper for typical souvenirs in Progreso than in Cozumel. The beach is small....the set up for the Corona Beach Party excursion looked really tiny!

There were several private tours offered at the market place. The least expensive was an open air city bus tour..but it was too hot to do that. We took a tour offered in the market place @$40 usd per person. I
A nice air conditioned bus took us to the small ruins /museum of Dzibilchatun, had lunch(we paid) and toured through historical Merida. We saw a lot in one day! Our guide Ivan knew a lot about Yucatan history. Dzibilchatun Ruins was close by and we didn't feel like we spent the whole day on the bus. We also had time to swim in the fresh water cenote (swim hole) while at the ruins.

I liked our time in Progreso and considered it a good day.
Old August 6th, 2007, 09:14 PM
Passenger

Thanks a bunch! This gives me a much better idea of what to expect. I was a little concerned when I had read the poster from about a month ago said they didn't feel safe in Progreso, and since hearing about the Jamaica incident I wanted to know what people thought. I appreciate all the input!
Old August 7th, 2007, 01:01 AM
Welcome Newcomer

We were there in June-07 and we never felt unsafe there. We walked three or four blocks into the town area and every one seemed nice. Be sure to book an excursion as Progresso gets old in a hurry. We had two hours to kill before our bus left for the ruins and we more than ready to leave. The beach area was nicer than what I had read about. My son got a massage at one of the tents set up there. The vendors do come up to you and try to get you to look at their stuff for sale, but once I said no, they moved on to someone else. The few things we did buy, we got for about half what they we asking. We went to Dzibichaltun for 29$ a person.We booked thru the travel agent on the dock at progresso. There is a large shopping area on the dock that you have to walk thru when you get off the ship. This is where the travel company is. Hope you have fun...
Charles
Old August 7th, 2007, 01:18 AM
First Mate

Wow, I just went to Google Earth and looked at that pier and you are not kidding. It is long! But it does look like the beach is nice. Are there restrooms and changing areas at the beach? I am excited now, because all my daughter in law wants to do is go to the beach and now we can make her happy real easy. Please tell me the beach doesn't look anything like Galveston beach!

Cathy

Free Cruise Clocks
Old August 7th, 2007, 01:45 AM
Admiral

Progresso is a wonderful port of call for those who enjoy history and culture. My first cruise stopped there and I took an outstanding tour of Uxmal and Merida. Uxmal is is considered by many the most beautiful of any Mayan sites and Merida is the REAL Mexico. The cathedral dates from the 1500's. Ever seen Chichen Itza showcased on the History Channel? This is the place to see it as a shore excursion !

Read and post cruise reviews

Read and post cruise reviews
/ticker.png">
Old August 7th, 2007, 01:49 AM
First Mate

Thanks everyone, even tho I am not the original Poster, I have learned a lot here. I was very concerned about Progresso. It just didn't appeal to me, but I think I have changed my mind!

Cathy

Free Cruise Clocks
Old August 7th, 2007, 01:52 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by charleygirl
Thanks a bunch! This gives me a much better idea of what to expect. I was a little concerned when I had read the poster from about a month ago said they didn't feel safe in Progreso, and since hearing about the Jamaica incident I wanted to know what people thought. I appreciate all the input!
I'm really surprised that someone "didn't feel safe" in Progreso. We have been there many times, and the people have always been very friendly. It is a very poor area, and it is obvious that they need tourism dollars. I agree with the other posters who enjoy going to the areas that aren't so touristy. In Progreso, you get to see the way most people in Mexico really live. I want the area to improve for the sake of the people living there, but I hope it doesn't turn into a huge tourist attraction.

Libragirl
Old August 7th, 2007, 03:02 PM
Passenger

Progreso/Merida is the city where the crew of the Ecstasy are sponsoring an orphanage. Capt. Salas and his ship's crew and provide for a group of orphan children, repair the orphanage building, and plan on introducing the children to the world of ships with a visit on the Ecstasy. There is a website to view the progress of the crew's progress but I don't have it handy.
Old August 7th, 2007, 03:04 PM
Passenger

Default Progreso beaches

The beaches at Progreso are not as blue/green or large as other Yucatan bahces but nice just the same. There is enough parrot fish gun in the waters to make the sand white ) and the beaches are much nicer if you are comparing to Galveston. Plenty of sand, lounge chairs and umbrellas....didn't see any changing places though. We just wore out suits under our shorts.
Old August 7th, 2007, 04:13 PM
Captain

cherylyoungklein;
I found what I think is the web site you were referring to. Looks like they are doing some good things. I know we will check it out when we are there in Jan. Just for your info.
Gary

http://www.crewcares4kids.com/index.htm
Glory Western 2-07
Ecstasy 01-08
Ecstasy Feb. 1st. & Feb. 6th. 2010 B to B
Freedom 12-12-10
Freedom 09-24-11
Triumph 09-10-12
Triumph 09-15-12
Triumph 09-23-13
Triumph 09-28-13

Old August 9th, 2007, 01:55 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles G
We went to Dzibichaltun for 29$ a person.We booked thru the travel agent on the dock at progresso. There is a large shopping area on the dock that you have to walk thru when you get off the ship. This is where the travel company is. Hope you have fun...
Charles
We also went to Dz, but we found a "taxi" (more like a small bus) for 8 of us for $60. The guy could tell we were wary, so he said we could pay when we got back...then we would know that the driver wouldn't strand us! Worked out well!
Dzibichaltun was great! It was only about 20 minutes away and was $7pp 13 yrs. or older. There was an additional charge for the museum and/or tour guide, but we opted to just see the ruins on our own as we had young children with us that we thought wouldn't appreciate the extras!

Rhapsody of the Seas - long ago, in a galaxy far away!
Ecstasy - Jan. 2007
Conquest - Sept. 2007 cruisemates 4Bs
Ecstasy - Jan. 2008
Old August 9th, 2007, 04:08 AM
Passenger

Default thanks Gary!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryI
cherylyoungklein;
I found what I think is the web site you were referring to. Looks like they are doing some good things. I know we will check it out when we are there in Jan. Just for your info.
Gary

http://www.crewcares4kids.com/index.htm
Thanks for this Gary. It has been sometime since I was at the site. It made me smile!