Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 7th, 2007, 10:32 PM
Passenger

Default What To Do In Progresso Mexico

Hi all. My dh & I are going on our 1st cruise 11/12-11/17. We have the excursion booked for Cozumel but we aren't sure what to do in Progresso. What I wanted to do was the Mayan overview & shopping excursion but they leave @ 7:00am!!! Come on, it's vacation. No way am I going to be up & ready by 7:00am! Anyway, for those that have been there....can we just walk to the shopping area? Can we take in the culture on our own???

so glad I found these message boards....looking forward to reading tons of post!
TIA for any advice!
Pam
Sponsored Links
Old August 7th, 2007, 11:10 PM
Admiral

Chichen Itza the most famous Mayan city ruins are an ideal shore excursion. When there I took a shore excursion to Uxmal which is considered the most lovely Mayan site. The tour also stopped at Merida which is the "real" Mexico. 8)

Read and post cruise reviews

/ticker.png">
Old August 8th, 2007, 05:56 AM
Captain

We took the bus tour to Meridia and really enjoyed it. This ancient town is rich in Mayan/Spanish culture. The beach is also right at the end of the 5 mile pier and many folks just took the bus there. It's not as nice as some other Caribbean beaches, but it'll do.
Glory (eastern) 12/2006
Destiny 01/2009
Old August 8th, 2007, 01:25 PM
Captain

If you want to just do your own thing, you can take the free shuttle into Progreso. It will drop you off at a market area. The beach is several blocks from there. There are also restaurants and bars along the street right by the beach. There are tables on the beach, and waiters will come see what or if you want to order something.

If you like history and culture, take an excursion to Chichen Itza. It was recently placed on the 7 Wonders of the World list and is an amazing place to visit. It takes about 2 hours by bus to get there, but is worth the time and effort.

You could also take an excursion into Merida. We have rented a car and driven into Merida. We went to the town square in the old part of Merida. It was surrounded by many historical and beautiful old buildings.

Have fun, whatever you decide to do!!!

Libragirl from Texas
Old August 8th, 2007, 05:51 PM
Passenger

When we visited the first time, we opted for the Dzbilchaltun ruins. Not nearly as far as Chichen Itza, but a beautiful Mayan ruin. They have a small museum with some very interesting artifacts and stone carvings. They have a beautiful freshwater cenote (sinkhole) that is deep and clear - you can take a dip if you like. Progreso is full of culture, and if too much culture at once scares you....take an excursion rather than on your own. We wandered down some streets after veering away from the shopping area and ended up in a local market of some sort. Very few tourists, and few things catered to tourists. If that's your cup of tea....go for it! We encountered lots of friendly locals. It's vastly unspoiled, I think the only visitors are from cruise lines. It's very rustic...I found myself feeling very much like one of the hosts on those travel shows where they visit out of the way places. The Corona beach break is nice too, we enjoyed that on another cruise as well. Have a great time!!!
CARNIVAL ECSTASY AUG 2006
CARNIVAL CONQUEST SEPT 2007
Old August 8th, 2007, 10:41 PM
Admiral

They say there is a difference between travelers and tourist. If so, I consider Progresso ideal for travelers, no so much for tourist.

/ticker.png">
Old August 9th, 2007, 12:36 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarawood
When we visited the first time, we opted for the Dzbilchaltun ruins. Not nearly as far as Chichen Itza, but a beautiful Mayan ruin.
We also went to Dz! It was only about 20 minutes away. Since dh speaks fluent Spanish, we felt comfortable finding transporation on our own at the dock. We were able to get a fellow to take all 8 of us in his small bus for $60. The ruins were great, although my younger kids wanted to leave earlier than the older ones! Guess Camp Carnival beats those old ruins ANY day!

Rhapsody of the Seas - long ago, in a galaxy far away!
Ecstasy - Jan. 2007
Conquest - Sept. 2007 cruisemates 4Bs
Ecstasy - Jan. 2008