Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 8th, 2007, 12:13 PM
Passenger

Default Excursions & rain

Well less than a week to go until we cruise. We hit our ports of call on Wed and Thursday and thanks to you wonderful people I have checked the weather. Both days and ports are predicting rain. While I will not let this spoil my cruise I was looking forward to the excursions. I'm not a drinker so spending time in the bars and things does not appeal to me. For you veterans, does predictions of showers mean on and off or heavy all day downpours? I know here in Georgia we seem to have had a rain every afternoon that may last from 10 minutes to 6 hours. I know, I know, I worry and plan to the 9th degree but I try to make alternative arrangements if needed.
Sponsored Links
Old August 8th, 2007, 12:40 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Excursions & rain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cejay
Well less than a week to go until we cruise. We hit our ports of call on Wed and Thursday and thanks to you wonderful people I have checked the weather. Both days and ports are predicting rain. While I will not let this spoil my cruise I was looking forward to the excursions. I'm not a drinker so spending time in the bars and things does not appeal to me. For you veterans, does predictions of showers mean on and off or heavy all day downpours? I know here in Georgia we seem to have had a rain every afternoon that may last from 10 minutes to 6 hours. I know, I know, I worry and plan to the 9th degree but I try to make alternative arrangements if needed.
What ports are you talking about? The weather can really vary by where you are going. Some of it is refreshing tropical showers some can be violent weather.
Old August 8th, 2007, 12:50 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Cejay:

You have found the same thing that 75% of all cruisers have found. There will be a "chance" of rain during the cruise.

Don't be too concerned about it. I remember when I was getting ready for my first cruise. I was checking the Caribbean weather and wave (WAM) reports on a daily basis.

The good news is that in most instances the rain will be short lived and consist of thundershowers and rain for a couple hours and clear up.

I usually carry a light rain poncho, if it looks like it may rain or if my excursion is going inland to a rainforest's area. There are folks who complain that they did a Rainforest Excursion and it rained.

There are instances that it does rain: If it does, use the poncho and go for it. A day at the beach is out of the question but there are other alternatives that you can still do outside but I don't think you can have a total "washout" on the entire cruise.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old August 8th, 2007, 02:35 PM
Passenger

Thanks Mike, that is what I was hoping for. I am going to Grand Caymans and Cozumel. I will pack one of those little fold up rain ponchos and umbrella's. As you say if the excursion is a wash out there is always shopping, eating and did I say shopping.
Old August 8th, 2007, 04:19 PM
First Mate

Wind and rough water cancelled our swim with the stingrays in Grand Cayman once, but none of our excursions have been affected by rain. Our eastern Carribien cruise had rain predicted every day but if it appeared it was breif and didn't interrupt us at all. Just cooled the air a bit.