Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 12th, 2007, 11:27 AM
Passenger

And Ebay is another good source for evening wear. I found a beautiful evening dress for me for less than I would have paid in a dept store for a dressy blouse. AND in a larger than the average woman size, too. Being careful about measurements and garment condition when bidding is a big plus. AND no fighting the shopping crowds in the heat and traffic.

I love the idea of dressing up those couple of nights and mostly for the pics. Our family, brother, sisters and spouses, do NOT get together all dressed up very often, and the formal night photos will be treasured.

We can be "comfortable" on the other nights and during the day, but have the fun of dressing 'to the nines' on just those two nights and will approach it as an adventure.

I can see it in my imagination now, with our balconies 'connected' (hopefully), the sis's and the bros and BIL's all "helping" each other with ties, jewelry, etc., will be fun for us and something we are looking forward to.

But that's just us, I would certainly understand if others felt differently, as I hope they will not be judgemental of us in any way in which we differ in opinion from them on other issues.

Old August 13th, 2007, 10:15 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_G
Everyone buys their ticket knowing full well there are formal nights in the dining room. It isn't like the cruise line surprises you AFTER you sail.
So all the banter about not wanting / liking to dress for these nights, IMHO, is like buying a red car and complaining afterward that it is red. Well, the car maker ain't gonna quit making red cars.

FORMAL NIGHTS FOREVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

totally agree its not like your FORCED to dress up, and not doing so seems a bit wrong when you know others are will to do so and make it a true formal night. No one says you have to wear a dress or a tux, pallazo pants and a dressy shirt with some beading (ebay is myf reaking best friend..you can get formal wear for 20 bucks!) and a business suit is plenty but khakis and a polo shirt, no way!

If you HATE HATE HATE doing the dress up thing, there are so many many alternate dining options. Eat the buffet, eat the seafood place, get room service etc, your not forced to do the formal night at all! Eat lunch in the dining room that day for a bit of a special meal and do they yummo buffet that night.
Old August 13th, 2007, 12:10 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisers
Thoth,
I couldn't agree with you more. My wife and I will be going ("FORMAL") on the Freedom in 8 days and we will "not" be changing after dinner !!!!!!
We are about to take our 10th and 11th Carnival cruise and have always enjoyed dressing up for formal night. Hubby usually wears a nice suit and I have found that a nice long black skirt or dressy black slacks with a nice top goes a long way in my cruise wardrobe.

On our Freedom cruise this year in Italy and for our 4oth anniversary, hubby decided to use the ship's Formality shop and pre-order a tux (White dinner jacket - black slacks, James Bond style). For the 12 day cruise, he was issued two white shirts for the tux and this worked out great for him and for packing. I wore a nice formal black skirt with a two piece white lace top and our pics together were fantastic.

The best part of our Formal Night and dressing up on that cruise was that we dressed early, enjoyed the Sangria bar and went to a pre-dinner show. After dinner we went to Scott's Piano bar for a while. This made for a nice, long VERY Romantic evening. Now DH wants to get a tux for every formal night in hopes of recapturing the romance .

He now says he is going to buy one to wear at home!!
Old August 13th, 2007, 12:10 PM
Captain

Actually I am taking my dark suit to dress up on the first formal night but having been on several cruises now I am thinking of going to the alternatives on the second night.
RCI Monarch of The Seas 1998
Ecstasy 2000
Carnival Miracle 9/24/07
Upcoming Fascination 11/5/09
Old August 14th, 2007, 04:30 PM
Beginner

Default Re: Why do some hate to dress for a formal night?

We have always dressed formal before, but next cruise my DH will only wear nice dress pants, shoes, shirt and tie. My wrinkle free dress can easily be packed in a suitcase but a suit takes up too much room and we like to travel light. We would feel uncomfortable on another cruise line, but we know we’ll be fine on Carnival. It is not that we hate to dress formal. My DH would definitely bring a suit if he knew that he would be kicked out of the dining room. Everyone knows that Carnival never enforces their own dress code so it seems every cruise there are more and more people who totally ignore the code and it keeps getting worse. Last cruise there were lots of people who weren’t even in smart casual on formal night in the dining room, but more like white trash casual. There was a guy at the table next to us in track pants and ratty t-shirt.

So Thoth, you are right:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoth
Before long anything goes will be the norm.
However, it is up to Carnival to decide what kind of reputation they want and do what it takes to build and protect that reputation. So if Carnival doesn't care, then why should we?
Old August 14th, 2007, 04:46 PM
Cruise Maniac

<------ We don't mind dressing up.
Old August 14th, 2007, 06:02 PM
First Mate

i like wearing a suit or sportscoat on my cruises at dinner. i work in the construction field, so i don't dress up often. also i travel solo a lot so i have to look good.