CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Carnival Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/)
-   -   FYI: New debarking process! (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/337705-fyi-new-debarking-process.html)

Toribear5 August 9th, 2007 05:13 PM

FYI: New debarking process!

I just went on the Liberty from 7/29-8/4 on a Western Caribbean Cruise and Todd Witmer, our CD said this process is only a couple weeks old and only a couple of the ships i the fleet are trying it. This was my first cruise and I guess before you have a color, they call them randomly and that's when you leave. Here's the new-and-improved way! It worked great!

Carry and go- from 7-8am you can take your own luggage and leave the ship yourself. You would not put your luggage out the night before and there will be nobody to assist you. If you just have one suitcase and need to leave early, this is for you!

Flights before noon- they got to get off next and had to show proof of this with their airline ticket

General debark- each section of rooms was given a number from 1-34 and that was on our luggage tag (a few sections per floor). The beginning few numbers were the vip's and suites would go first and every 15 min or so they would call out new numbers in a row. This way you knew when you'd be getting off the ship so you could relax, eat breakfast, lay out for a bit, etc.

"Numbers 14, 15, 16, and 17, you may now leave the ship........numbers 18, 19,20, it's your turn, thank you very much!"

The ship was empty by 10:30am and we didn't really wait in any lines! It was great! We were on Riviera Deck 1 and had number "32" so we waited the longest and it was still totally fine.

Luanne Russo August 9th, 2007 05:20 PM

I just heard about this. I am glad that Carnival is working to improve the process. Now it is up to the passengers to follow the rules, which is the biggest problem.

Thanks for sharing the info.

How did you like Todd?

Phil&Liz August 9th, 2007 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luanne Russo
Now it is up to the passengers to follow the rules, which is the biggest problem.

Exactly !

I do think there should be the random checks of those clogging the passageways to see if they are within the range of who should be debarking.

I notice how it is the social hosts and dancers who are helping to guide folks along in the atrium area leading to the gangway.

Too many times I have seen folks with the wrong color in the line to get off the ship.

I witnessed one case where it was noticed by the helpers that a person whose color/deck had not been called was within feet of the gangway when he was spotted and told to get out of line.

Phil & Liz

skymaster August 9th, 2007 07:31 PM

Sounds to me like it's pretty much like it always was, (self assist is relatively new, but been around for a while now) except that they have numbers instead of colors. They used to publish the order that the colors were going to be called, so you had a pretty good idea of when you'd get off the ship. To reiterate, I'm in no hurry to leave the ship. I'm still having a good time as long as I'm aboard. (We're Platinum, and could leave pretty early, but I still hang around, enjoy a liesurely breakfast, and talk to my fellow passengers.) :D

Ken

misguidedangel August 9th, 2007 08:33 PM

I have a flight leaving MIA at around 1:40pm, does that means I'd still have to wait. As you know, they say to be at the airport 2 hours before, so I'd have to be off the ship and at the airport between 11:40-1230. I know it probably will be fine, but we got to Ft. Lauderdale with 90 minutes to spare and it almost flew by beccause the place was so busy and security was being picky (silly me didn't pack my sea salt foot rub in my suitcase--no room left--and I almost lost it!!!!!! My mother lost a $60 bottle of nutritional supplement drink--good thing it was half used.