Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 10th, 2007, 04:17 PM
Admiral

Default one more cruise note re: obnoxious/ignorant passenger...

One more thing about my cruise. I completely forgot about it so it's not in my trip journal posting.

On June 29th, at Port Canaveral, after we got our S&S cards and room key cards, and had our "welcome aboard photo" taken, we were in line for the photo they take right before you actually step aboard - the one I assume they keep in the computer to match with your face when you exit and re-enter the ship for excursions. There were two cameras, and two lines leading to each camera.

We were in the right line for the camera on the left. There was a group of 15 or so passengers in the left line who all wore identical matching light blue t-shirts. I don't recall what the writing on them said. They were with an organization of handicapped individuals. Only 2 were in wheelchairs and none of the others them appeared to be handicapped themselves.

Well, the way these things work is that someone from one line steps up to be photographed and then someone from the other line. After a woman from the left line had her photo taken, I was next in my line so I moved up to have my photo taken. Well, the lady who was "next" in the left line started an loud argument with me saying she was with a handicapped group and that they all get to go first.

I explained that this was a camera that was being fed by both lines. Mind you, this lady ws definitely NOT handicapped. Also, I didn't mention it, but if it was true that handicapped people get to board the ship first, why wasn't someone there to only let handicapped people go to the place to board the ship? That is stupid - as what if some handicapped passengers were not arriving to the port for another hours - we should all wait until all hanidcapped people are onboard before anyone else boards? She's an idiot. The poor photographer didn't know what to do. She moved into place before I could, and was obviously determined to get her photo taken next. she didn't care that everyone else (including a few people in her own party) were obviously embarrassed for her.

Being the emotionally and psychologically mature one here, (she is 15-20 years older than I am), I smiled and turned my back to her while she was still rambling on and raising her voice more and more. I motioned for Ian to step over to the next line and the person there saw what was going on and let us take our photos before them, and I thanked them.

Amazingly enough, we didn't see them again througout the cruise and I thanked G-d they were not on our excursions! I imagine she insisted they go "first " on all excursions, that their table be served first in the dining room, and that they be allowed to look for and purchase "their" photos from the photo gallery first, before everyone else gets to go look for theirs, because 2 of the 15 people in their party are handicapped.

This is not to put down anyone who is handicapped. I have had constant pain or at least a moderate level of discomfort every waking hour for 20 years due to a permanently damaged nerve in my left leg. I have never asked for a handicapped pass for my car, or asked for any special consideration. I just do the best I can and favor my leg as a hobble along through my life.

Fortunately, this was the only true instance of rudeness (and outright ignorance) I witnessed on this cruise. Everyone else was very nice to each other and helpful!
Sponsored Links
Old August 10th, 2007, 04:38 PM
Captain

Michelle,
I'm so sorry that you experienced this situation. I am sure that this is happens often for this poor lady. To think that "life owes me because _____________________ (you can fill in the blank with oh so many things from physical to emotional, both past and present). The truely heartbreaking thing is that these people tend to carry their reasons with them so that "past and present" also becomes their "future".
I am glad that you did not let this shakey beginning spoil your cruise.
When I come across rude or obnoxious people, my heart aches for them so it is easier to respond lovingly.
ROMANS 8:28

VIKING SERENADE 1993
HOLIDAY 1995
HOLIDAY 1997
HOLIDAY 1998
ECTASY 1999
ELATION 2000
STAR PRINCESS 2002
SPIRIT 2003
NCL STAR 2004
PRIDE 2005
PRIDE 2006
PARADISE 2007
MS OOSTERDAM 2008
SPLENDOR 5/2010

Carnival Splendor
Old August 10th, 2007, 04:40 PM
Admiral

Hmmmmm... I'm not sure you can always tell if someone has an emotional or mental handicap just by looking.

It could have been that several of the parties had any number of emotional/mental conditions. If that's the case, I would imagine the caregivers would like to get them on board and settled ASAP because for some "conditions," a new environment is traumatic for the person.

I agree that she could have been more polite, but you never know what her day might have been like dealing with a group of 15 people that were handicapped in some way.

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Elation March 11
Carnival Imagination Sept 07
Carniival Sensation Dec 06
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 06
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old August 10th, 2007, 05:32 PM
Captain

Just another speed bump on the road of life. She maybe thinking the same thing of you. I don't lose any sleep on minor things like this. There are way too many good things to enjoy.
Gary
Glory Western 2-07
Ecstasy 01-08
Ecstasy Feb. 1st. & Feb. 6th. 2010 B to B
Freedom 12-12-10
Freedom 09-24-11
Triumph 09-10-12
Triumph 09-15-12
Triumph 09-23-13
Triumph 09-28-13

Old August 10th, 2007, 07:27 PM
Cruise Maniac

I agree with Gary - Way too many other things to worry about and its just one of those things that goes along with cruising with a couple of thousand other people.

Personally I wouldnt have even remembered the incident the second it was done let alone written a long post about it but to each his own.

Carnival Spirit 11/07
Carnival Paradise 12/01
Carnival Elation 12/99
Old August 10th, 2007, 10:14 PM
Passenger

Default Looks can be deceiving

Hi. I just wanted to comment on your experience with the handicapped group. I am sorry that you had to start your trip off that way but pleeease remember that just because someone doesnt look handicapped doesnt mean that they are not. And then, of course, you have those people who take advantage of the label.

I am glad that your were able to enjoy the rest of your cruise!!!

Jenny

Carnival Elation 2/07
Carnival Victory 10/07
Old August 10th, 2007, 10:27 PM
Admiral

Being handicapped, elderly or infirmed does not give a person license to be rude. I live in a community with a good number of elderly/infirmed residents. Some (not all) of these people purposely will drive their motorized chairs into a crowd of people standing at the bus stop or waiting for the light to change while making no attempt to go around someone. It is almost as though they are angry at everyone.

More than likely, it was less that the group was handicapped and more that this group was not experienced in the nature of a cruise. They probably had all kinds of things they wanted to enjoy in their heads and did not yet understand that a Carnival cruiseship is a Horn of Plenty whereas there is no reason to rush, push or grab because there is more than enough of everything (even time) to go around. That may be the hardest adjustment for new cruisers. Whether you are first or last, you get the same quality, same treatment and same amount of whatever it is that is being offered up.

Except for a few times in the buffet, the check-in line is the last line you stand in on a cruise (and to get off the ship). Many new cruisers do not realize this. On the off chance that the ship does run out of anything, it is replaced with an item of higher quality or valid within minutes. In fact, I have never heard, "I am sorry, we are out" uttered on any of my cruises. I have heard rumors of ships running out of bananas and pineapples, but I have never seen this phenomenon for myself.

Michelle handled it well and I am sure before this cruise was over the offending party came to realize how inappropriate and unnecessary the rush to be first really was.

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Freedom ('09), Imagination ('08), Victory ('08), Destiny ('08), RCCL Navigator ('08), RCCL Majesty ('08), Glory ('07), Liberty ('07), Fantasy ('07), Destiny ('06), NCL PofAm ('05), Fascination ('04), Victory ('04), Fascination ('04), RCCL Voyager ('03), Fantasy ('99)
Old August 10th, 2007, 11:03 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

I love that expression, that the ship is a horn of plenty!! Good one!

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old August 11th, 2007, 10:23 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorothy
Hmmmmm... I'm not sure you can always tell if someone has an emotional or mental handicap just by looking.
dorothy
That's what my first thought was too. Im cruising with someone with both those handicaps and you never know what will happen or be said.

I would just forgetaboutit and move on and not dwell on this one incident.
Old August 12th, 2007, 09:19 AM
Admiral

well I forgot abot the incident as soonas I stepped aboard so I forgot to put it in my review posting. However, I remembered it the day I posted it as helped move some things out of the way in a grocery store for someone in one of those motorized scooters with a cart attached. He thanked me and I asked if there was anything I could reach for him.

I agree that sometimes handicaps aren't obvious, however, and the way she acted it's possible she had an emotional and/or intellectual handicap.
That's why I terminated the situation before she made it worse.

But I had heard these people talking in line before we got to the camera area, and they seemed to be having perfectly normal conversations.

Anyway, of course it didn't ruin my cruise. Nothing would ruin my vacation time! It was laughable, really.

What's really sad is that there's this sort of behavior among supposedly "normal" people as well, from stories I've read here about pushy people in buffet lines, etc...

I guess anywhere you go people will be people.

We just have to be better than that and get on with the cruise.
Old August 12th, 2007, 12:11 PM
First Mate

From my observation there are alot of over emotionale handicaped people on cruises we have been on. You see lots of them at embarkation, debarkation and any line you must go in. We never have a problem with handicaped people, or one or two people to be with them its the rest of the town that just knows them and uses a persons handicap situation for their own wants. Its a small bump in life even makes us laugh with how far some will go to be first in line for anything. Rare problem most are nice. You just have a brown apple around sometimes.
Old August 26th, 2007, 04:03 PM
Captain

As said there are many invisible challenges that people have. And, through my eyes I believe that this person would have been this way with or with out a disablility. Too bad. Hopefully they learned some about manners on the cruise.
7- Sapphire Princess
6-Golden Princess
5-Carnival Paradise
4-Royal Caribbean-Monarch of the Seas
3-Carnival Glory
2-Carnival Spirit-Richard Simmons Cruise to Lose
1-Carnival Inspiration - Richard Simmons Cruise to Lose