CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Carnival Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/)
-   -   Chocolate Melting Cake (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/337757-chocolate-melting-cake.html)

sirobin171 August 10th, 2007 05:17 PM

Chocolate Melting Cake

Someone posted this photo, YUM!!

http://cruisemates.com/gallery/galleries/3916/65930.jpg

skymaster August 10th, 2007 05:37 PM

Chocolate Melting Cake:

10 Lbs.......Black Chocolate
10 Lbs.......Butter
106 ea...... Egg Yolks
93 ea........White Egg
7lb 5oz......Sugar
5lb 5oz......Flour

Method

1. Melt the chocolate and butter
2. Mix the egg yolk, sugar, and whisk for a few minutes, add flour
3. Add egg mix to the melted chocolate mix
4. Beat the egg white & fold in the egg white to the chocolate mixer
5. Pour the mix in a greased mould
6. Bake directly in the oven at 200 C for about 14 minutes.

This serves 140. (only 70 if it comes out as good as it is aboard ship.)

Enjoy

Ken

sirobin171 August 10th, 2007 05:43 PM

Can you make it for me please? I can't cook ;-)

Rob

rosetattoo August 10th, 2007 07:15 PM

Hey, Rob....I read a few recent reader reviews who didn't share our enthusiasm for the chocolate melting cake, in fact, they were downright disappointed and thought it didn't live up to the hype.

MTSFP August 10th, 2007 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rosetattoo
Hey, Rob....I read a few recent reader reviews who didn't share our enthusiasm for the chocolate melting cake, in fact, they were downright disappointed and thought it didn't live up to the hype.

I can only presume that they have no taste buds.

I could eat three of these things a night.

sirobin171 August 10th, 2007 07:38 PM

All I know is that the melting cake is crack for me and I could eat it every day at each meal. :-)

linuxpm August 10th, 2007 07:39 PM

Quote:

They have almost the same thing (but better and bigger) at the olive Garden.

Believe me, I am an expert when it comes to a sweet tooth.

Brian

sirobin171 August 10th, 2007 07:42 PM

Really, I had no idea they have it at OG. I am going to try and go there tonight and try it. I will let you know :-)

Rob

Quote:

Originally Posted by linuxpm
Quote:

They have almost the same thing (but better and bigger) at the olive Garden.

Believe me, I am an expert when it comes to a sweet tooth.

Brian

territrob August 10th, 2007 07:43 PM

Thank you so much for posting the pic! It looks delicious. I'm going on my first cruise next month and can't wait to satisfy my curiosity about this dessert! :D

sirobin171 August 10th, 2007 07:46 PM

It is my pleasure to bring you a little bit of chocolate crack happiness :-)

Your going on Carnival I assume? If not who?

Rob

Quote:

Originally Posted by territrob
Thank you so much for posting the pic! It looks delicious. I'm going on my first cruise next month and can't wait to satisfy my curiosity about this dessert! :D

thegambler August 10th, 2007 08:57 PM

sirobin 171,

Thanks for just ruining my pre-cruise diet! I have been trying not to think about Warm Chocolate Melting cake. How can someone not love it. I think I ordered it almost every night of the cruise in April.

I still have another 29 days before I can have it again. Okay I am going to be good and not pay attention to the recipe or go to Olive Garden.

Yum!

Sherrie LOL

territrob August 10th, 2007 09:22 PM

Yes, I'm sailing on the Ecstacy September 8th. I'm sure I'll be another chocolate crack addict. LOL Can't wait to get started on my addiction!

luckycruzer August 10th, 2007 10:34 PM

where the heck is my #2 washtub mixer, when I need it

Quote:

Originally Posted by skymaster
Chocolate Melting Cake:

10 Lbs.......Black Chocolate
10 Lbs.......Butter
106 ea...... Egg Yolks
93 ea........White Egg
7lb 5oz......Sugar
5lb 5oz......Flour

Method

1. Melt the chocolate and butter
2. Mix the egg yolk, sugar, and whisk for a few minutes, add flour
3. Add egg mix to the melted chocolate mix
4. Beat the egg white & fold in the egg white to the chocolate mixer
5. Pour the mix in a greased mould
6. Bake directly in the oven at 200 C for about 14 minutes.

This serves 140. (only 70 if it comes out as good as it is aboard ship.)

Enjoy

Ken

Dr Oetker brand makes a nice one..so i go out and sit in a row boat to enjoy it :roll:

adias.angel August 13th, 2007 09:34 AM

For those people who don't read John Healds blog here is the recipe for Chocolate Melting cake straight from John Heald. Enjoy, Carla ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Healds Blog
MELTING CHOCOLATE CAKE:
1 lb Black chocolate
1 lb Unsalted Butter
10 ea Eggs Whole
4 oz Sugar granulated
5.5 oz Flour H &R

METHOD:
• Melt the chocolate & butter
• Mix the eggs & sugar and whisk for few minutes, add the flour
• Add the egg mix to the melted chocolate and mix
• Pour the mix in a greased mold.
• Bake directly in the oven at 200 C° for 12 minutes
Note: - Please make sure that the eggs are at room temperature and chocolate is warm enough while making the mixture

skymaster August 13th, 2007 02:39 PM

My Chocolate Melting Cake recipe was passed out by "Crazy George" the Maitre D' in the "Mardi Gras" dining room aboard "Inspiration". It appears to break down to almost the same thing that John Healds recipe. I guess if you're having a big party, you can use Georges. :roll:

Ken

adias.angel August 13th, 2007 03:01 PM

Quote:

My Chocolate Melting Cake recipe was passed out by "Crazy George" the Maitre D' in the "Mardi Gras" dining room aboard "Inspiration". It appears to break down to almost the same thing that John Healds recipe. I guess if you're having a big party, you can use Georges. :roll:

Ken

I still appreciate the larger version of the recipe! :) I have both written down in my recipe book just in case I ever want to cater an event :D

Toribear5 August 13th, 2007 10:00 PM

I thought my melting cake was wayyyyy too runny on the Victory. My waiter asked if it was okay and I was honest and you know what???? Every day after that mine was much more cooked, still gooey in the very middle and perfect! It's like he told the chef to make it perfect just for me :)

Soooo yummy

Thoth August 14th, 2007 02:01 AM

Back in May, I ate that every night. It was THAT good...vanilla ice cream on top :D

skymaster August 14th, 2007 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thoth
Back in May, I ate that every night. It was THAT good...vanilla ice cream on top :D

For me, that's almost reason enough to book only Carnival for future cruises. (Look below and you'll see that I'm not kidding!) The melting cake is absolutely OUTSTANDING! 8)

Ken

Cruznut2 August 18th, 2007 11:39 AM

Chocolate Melting Cake was a choice every night on the Pride. I tried it and became addicted as do most that dare to try this chocolate perfection. Gotta try it!

Laura

Thoth August 18th, 2007 11:55 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thoth

For me, that's almost reason enough to book only Carnival for future cruises. (Look below and you'll see that I'm not kidding!) The melting cake is absolutely OUTSTANDING! 8)

Ken

Me too. My list of cruises has become all Carnival. While the cake isn't the only reason, it plays a part in at least we know what to expect.

huffca August 19th, 2007 12:35 AM

One word ... YUM-O

brettsmom August 19th, 2007 10:30 PM

It was awesome! The first night in the dining room i ordered it and they brough it out. It wasn't fully baked and came out like a warm pudding. I though that it was supposed to be like that and loved it!!!! The next night they brought it out the way it was supposed to be baked. I think I liked it not quite done better but no matter how long its baked its DELIC. :wink:

RobRen August 20th, 2007 03:57 PM

My husband is going through Chocolate Melting Cake withdrawal after having it every night of our cruise.

The poor man is suffering so much.

wakedreams August 20th, 2007 07:18 PM

we also ate it everynight ....it was so goooooood.
heaven in a cup.