Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 12th, 2007, 12:07 AM
Passenger

Default Upgrades @ Embarkation

How common is it to get a deal for an upgrade when you check in the day of the cruise? Im hoping to get deal on a balcony.
Sponsored Links
Old August 12th, 2007, 08:16 AM
Captain

How common is it to get a deal for an upgrade when you check in the day of the cruise?

You don't mention whether you booked an assigned cabin or purchased a "guarantee" rate. If you booked an assigned cabin, it's VERY UNLIKELY you will be upgraded. If you purchased a guarantee category, you should receive your cabin assignment on your docs. Most likely that assignment will NOT change, but it's at the convenience of Carnival. If you do receive an upgrade, it's normally within the category you booked. Soooooooo, if you purchased Cat 4 IS GUARANTEE, there's a good chance you'll be moved up a couple decks to like Cat 4C and VERY LITTLE chance you'll be assigned a balcony Cat 8.
Glory (eastern) 12/2006
Destiny 01/2009
Old August 12th, 2007, 08:41 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Ro

My friends just told me that they booked an outside cabin on Carnival in a guarantee cabin and were very surprised to find out that they were receiving a upgrade at ck in and got a suite instead. I guess the ship was not sold out that is why they got the suite. Only problem is ever since that experience they can't go back to booking an outside cabin, they always have to book a suite. That ruined them for booking outside cabins ever since they got spoiled with the suite upgrade!

Inspiration-2004, 2005, 2009
Glory- 4/26/2009
Sensation -4/2007, 10/2009
2/2010 & 11/3/2011
Old August 12th, 2007, 08:48 AM
Admiral

Typically Carnival has assigned most of the cabins shortly after final payment (there are exceptions of course, and sometimes your initial assignment changes too). We booked a 8A guarantee and got an 8B on our Triumph cruise in September. Sometimes people get lucky and get a dramatic upgrade. But we've always had a decent cabins. Only had noise issues on the Liberty and that was because our room was directly above the crews bar and they were blowing off some steam on Salsa Night, but hey, they deserve to have some fun too right?So I threw my pillow over my head and fell asleep sooner than later. It was actually kind of fun trying to solve the mystery of where that sound was coming from when we were so far away from any of the bars or nightclubs we could find on the deck plans. Plus it was weird, because You could only hear it when you were laying in my side of the bed, but not anywhere else. But anyhow hopefully that answers your question. If you've already booked and made final payment etc. you can log onto Carnival.com and look at your reservation and select the option to see your docs if the cabin has been assigned it will show it here.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old August 12th, 2007, 04:39 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Ro

Lucky upgrade Jim! Good for you! See I guess upgrades do happen!

Inspiration-2004, 2005, 2009
Glory- 4/26/2009
Sensation -4/2007, 10/2009
2/2010 & 11/3/2011
Old August 12th, 2007, 09:08 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Upgrades @ Embarkation

Quote:
Originally Posted by claimguy
How common is it to get a deal for an upgrade when you check in the day of the cruise? Im hoping to get deal on a balcony.
In six cruises, I have never gotten onto a ship that did not have a sign at the purser's desk that declared that the ship was full - essentially, I interpret this sign to mean don't even inquire about upgrades, they don't exist.

Having spoken to some of the leadership on a couple of ships, it appears as though the final cabin assignments are made the cruise before yours - the hotel manager and others get together and make decisions as to who will get upgrades, etc.

My understand is that Carnival works to fill the upper categories and leave the lower categories unfilled when the boat is not fully booked -why? Simple - they want the cruisers to have a great time from the moment they step on the ship and what better way to begin a cruise than to discover that you have been upgraded. We actually had suite neighbors on one cruise who were updated from an inside cabin - they were honeymooners.

There are those on this board who doubt this statement, but I have been upgraded (not just within category) on five of my six cruises - they only cruise that I was not upgraded on was my first, when we took an assigned cabin. Since then, we have received a 4A>6B, 4B>6B, 6C>suite, and 6D>suite upgrades on the Smokefree Paradise and got a Cat 6>Cat 8 balcony outside cabin upgrade on our recent Carnival Liberty cruise.

Upgrades do happen - I only will book cabin guarantees because I am willing to run the chance that I will only get the accommodations that I reserve. One thing that does seem to work is celebrating certain things - anniversaries, birthdays - don't be afraid to tell Carnival that you are celebrating something, even if it is not happening on the cruise itself.
05/03 Smokefree Paradise
08/04 Smokefree Paradise (8 days due to Francis)
01/07 Carnival Liberty
11/07 Carnival Freedom Transatlantic
05/08 Carnival Liberty
12/09 Carnival Pride
06/10 Carnival Glory