Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 12th, 2007, 01:37 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo
Default Here Is Something To Talk About

I just received an e-mail from a new Cruisemates member, who asked the following question: (I have received permission to post without names)

What if I get on the ship, and find I don't like it, and feel to confined and closed in?

My answer to this question is that we have all felt this way as a newbie. Because in our minds, we cannot conceive of a large ship, we tend to picture something like a fishing boat.

It is true that some do not like cruising. I have met several on here, who went, came back, and have no desire to go again, but they are a very small group.

The best way to describe a cruise ship, is comparing it to a small city. There are out door areas, inside areas. Places where it is quiet, and places where you will find lots of people.

But, I want all of you to answer this question for the member. Use your own experiences, and help them to understand, that they are not alone in feeling this way.

Thanks,

Luanne

P.S. If you have other questions, and don't feel like posting yet, send them to me, and I can do the same with your question. Hopefully soon, you will feel like posting yourself.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Sponsored Links
Old August 12th, 2007, 02:11 PM
Familiar Face

With the larger ships nowadays, I feel you may only encounter this problem if you have an inside cabin without a window. If so I would see the purser and inquire about changing to an outside cabin with an ocean view or even a balcony. The rest of the ship is so large it’s like being in a large indoor shopping mall.
Old August 12th, 2007, 02:15 PM
First Mate

I would have to agree that the only way you might feel closed in or confined is if you book and inside cabin with NO window/balcony.

There are plenty of areas to stretch out if you feel the need.

Give it a try, I bet you'll find that thought forgotten in the first hour you're on board!!!!

2005 Carnival Spirit to Alaska

2007 Carnival Conquest to Western Caribbean

2008 Royal Caribbean Explorer of the Seas to New England/Canada

2010 Royal Caribbean Explorer of the Seas to Southern Caribbean
Old August 12th, 2007, 02:20 PM
Admiral

I must confess, the reason I only booked a 4 day cruise for my first time, was because I was concerned about being out in the middle of nowhere and feeling confined and nervous, etc. maybe even seasick.

However, since joining all the wonderful people on Cruisemates.com I'm now kicking myself for not having booked a longer cruise... I'm already saving money for my next cruise and I haven't gone on my first....
I did plan however on my room ahead of time, I felt no windows or balcony, may have made me a bit closterphobic. (forgive my spelling)
So we are in a Cat12... wonderful upgrade price. 8)
Carnival-Splendor Sept 6, 2009

Old August 12th, 2007, 02:47 PM
Familiar Face

One more piece of advice for claustrophobic’s on board.....arrive last for the muster drill. Don’t be the first. The muster drill will be over before you know it.
Old August 12th, 2007, 03:09 PM
Admiral

same analogy could be made for a first time flyer on an airplane..the only difference is once the airplane takes off you can't get off ..on a cruise ship if it's that confining, you can get off at the first port of call
Old August 12th, 2007, 03:58 PM
Admiral

Quite honestly, my first cruise was on the Carnival Imagination and I was totally shocked at how small our OV stateroom was....we immediately went up to the Lido deck for lunch and felt much better with food in our tummy and a couple of umbrella drinks. When we returned to our stateroom, our luggage had been delivered and took up the entire available space left in our room, HA!! But, after finding adequate space for all our clothes and hiding the luggage under our beds, the room seemed larger than when we first entered. We booked an interior room just once and it was very claustrophic for me....that was the last time, I only book OV or balcony rooms now, depending on who I am traveling with (95% of the time it is a balcony). The larger, newer ships are huge and I have never felt confined or closed in...the common areas can get a little crowded at certain times of the day but there is always a quiet spot somewhere on the ship. There are so many activities on the ship, day and night, I don't think you will be bored either...believe me, everything will fall into place. On Carnival, unlike other cruise lines, all the common areas have windows...the buffet dining room, formal dining rooms, Promenade deck, Lobby deck, etc.
Old August 12th, 2007, 04:56 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to misguidedangel

Yes, an inside room may make you feel claustaphobic, that is why I get a balcony or better. I do find the cabins on Carnival's ship to be reasonable, but yes, trying to get ready for formal night or just finding space for all the goodies you bought can be tricky. I found using whatever storage space that wasn't in use was used for my goodies to bring back home.

I tend to spend a fair bit more time in the cabin, just sitting in solitude on the balcony enjoying the view. I could go on deck and do the same, but I like some alone time and the balcony is just right.

I booked a Cat 11 suite on Conquest for my February 08 cruise, not because of the extra 100+ square feet, but for the experience of VIP boarding and a bigger balcony. My experience with the whole boarding process in January was decent--at the port and on the ship in under an hour (and there was a full crowd checking in when got to port). I have a 8E booked for September and that will suit me just fine--that and I am steps away from the elevator AND the door to Panorama deck....

1991 Holiday
2007 Victory & Triumph
2008 Conquest & Liberty
2009 Valor, Freedom, and Splendor
2010 Glory and Liberty
2011 Glory

I gotta go where it's warm.....

Over 40 victim of fate.....
Old August 12th, 2007, 05:11 PM
Admiral

I think the first time you see the size of the cabin, most people are shocked at how small it is. Id doesn't take long, though, to acclimate. They are designed with lots of storage, so there is no clutter to deal with.

The public spaces are very large and open. The hallways are similar to a hotel... but a lot longer!
Mariner of the Seas

HAL Statendam Alaska Cruise Tour - 09/09/12; Disney Magic - 12/01/12; Allure of the Seas - 05/26/13
Old August 12th, 2007, 06:21 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Carnival has a guarantee.. if you're really unhappy you can tell them, and you'll be allowed to leave the ship at the FIRST port of call, and they'll refund the fare, and fly you home at their expense.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old August 12th, 2007, 06:31 PM
kookylabooka

My first cruise was on the Sensation in an OV room.Did not feel claustrophobic in any way.Stop worrying about not liking it and feeling confined.Replace that with thinking about how much fun you will have and what a exciting new experience it wil be
Old August 12th, 2007, 07:33 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by SACRUISER
If so I would see the purser and inquire about changing to an outside cabin with an ocean view or even a balcony.
I would not bank on them moving you. I think the ships as very often sold out.

Brian

Sensation
Old August 12th, 2007, 07:47 PM
Captain

i have never felt confined and i have had inside cabin and yes i have cruise with some who didn't like crusing i found some elise to cruise with
and we have a great time together
Old August 12th, 2007, 08:29 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to Honeybear

First let me tell you, we are from a very small town, compared people to area there's no or not much differance. Our town is, of course bigger but it also has more people. The first time I walked onto the Sensation I just stood in awe, it was beautiful! But ... it was huge!!! As you know, it is one of the smaller of the Carnival ships.

Please when you return, if you don't mind, would you let us know what you think of it? You'll probably want to just move on there! You'll LOVE it!
the SENSATION

"Friends are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly."
Old August 12th, 2007, 08:49 PM
First Mate

Default ROOMS

Ok, so let me tell you I am clostrophobic, and have been on 5 cruises only on bothered me but it was due to a different setting. The ship is huge and there is always somehting to do, some place new on nthe ship to see or it what you make of it. I have special meds if i need them and usually dont. I love the boat, we get a cat 11( the kids are out of the house so we actually saves a few$ for us), and we love early am coffeee on the balcony. so hang in ther and if you have any questions drop me a line .
SEE YA ON THE BOAT
Bob
Old August 12th, 2007, 09:44 PM
Captain

honeybear i had that awe feeling on my fruist cruise my was on triumpht to this day i still take pause i did it on the gloryand the glory
is bigger the the triumph
Old August 12th, 2007, 09:53 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to Honeybear

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddletoe53
honeybear i had that awe feeling on my fruist cruise my was on triumpht to this day i still take pause i did it on the gloryand the glory is bigger the the triumph
Hi! Wasn't it a wonderful feeling? I'll just never forget it.
the SENSATION

"Friends are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly."
Old August 12th, 2007, 11:32 PM
Captain

it is a great feeling and you can't realy describe and this feeling will
be always there
Old August 13th, 2007, 02:21 PM
Captain

I, too, am claustrophobic but have been on 9 cruises so far with 2 more scheduled in the next few months. The only time I have ever had a problem with this is the one time we had an interior cabin. We booked late and that was all that was available. The cabin had a curtain on the wall to make it appear to have a window. I just told my DH "DO NOT OPEN THAT CURTAN!"

Unless we have a balcony cabin, we spend very little time in there anyway and when you go up on the open decks, you absolutely will not feel claustrophobic with that beautiful view.
Old August 13th, 2007, 03:41 PM
Cruise Maniac

Our first cruise was an inside cabin on the Ecstasy (3 day). I told my DW that I would never had an inside cabin again. Size was not the issue as we are not in the cabin much except for sleeping, showering, or changing clothes. I could not tell if it was day or night. On the Fantasy (4 day), we had an OV. On the Imagination (5 Day), the upgrade fairy visited us and we got a Cat 11. The Glory (7 day), we had a Cat 9 cabin and we when booked the Elation (5 day) we booked the same cabin (V26) that we had on the Imagination! WE are now booked on the Freedom with a GTY Baloney.

Past Cruises
Carnival Ecstasy 97
Carnival Fantasy 98
Carnival Imagination 03
Carnival Glory 05
Carnival Elation 07
Carnvial Triumph 08
Old August 13th, 2007, 06:29 PM
Beginner

Okay, ya'll are freaking me out here!! We are going on our 4th cruise in October and this will be the first inside room for us. When we booked, we got a great deal... $409 for a 7 nighter on the Triumph. Balconys were $609 (and would have gotten a past guest upgrade to any deck!) But, now an 8A is $929 so it's just too expensive for us to switch.

We wanted to do a balcony for this cruise, but we were going with another couple (who have since cancelled on us) and all they could afford was an inside room. I just didn't feel right about booking a balcony while they were on an inside. I know, I know...that's silly, but they are family (my sister and her dh) and just didn't want to one-up them cause it seems like it happens so often. So dh decided we would just get a room right next to them. Well...by the time they cancelled, the balconies were sky high and I just refuse to pay that price when I could have originally got it for $609.

So basically we are in a 4D and I'm freaking out. My dd, age 6, turned the light off on me and shut the door when I was in my walk in closet. I thought..this is how it's gonna feel...and I ran out as fast as I can. It was claustophobia at its worst...no kidding. So I have been really stressing!! OMG you all...I hope I don't feel that way in the stateroom!! Thanks for listening to me rant,
Old August 13th, 2007, 07:00 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

You will be fine. There is a space under the door, where the light comes in, and you can either take a night light, or leave the bathroom light on.

You probably won't be in your room much anyway.

Also watch those prices, what goes up, sometimes also come down for a balcony.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old August 13th, 2007, 07:11 PM
Captain

I went with a roomie and it was her first cruise so she insisted on either a balcony or a OV. She said she wanted to see out no matter what, so thats what we did.

I have meet folks on a cruise who decided to never cruise again, they hated everything. The water wasnt good, the food was horrible, the ship rocked and made them sick, there just wasnt anything good they liked. I felt bad but nothing I could say would change their minds.

I have a friend who is scared of water and wouldnt even consider getting into water or swimming. She says the thought of all that water around her without being able to walk to land terrifies her. I have tried and tried, but she seems to be another I cant talk into cruising.

I think its a terrific bargain, and glad we can choose to cruise. We did a 5 night first to make sure cruising was for us though.
Old August 13th, 2007, 11:07 PM
Captain

when i cruise i keep my mind opean and make the cruise the why
you wanted enjoy i the cruise another good rule is leave your problem
at the pier and have a good time
Old August 14th, 2007, 11:14 PM
Admiral

You heard the phrase "ya never know" - our last cruise was a last second booking and for the first time we had an interior cabin. I knew about the absence of time passing with the lights out, but at that price - what the heck. We got an upgrade to an interior cabin that was specified for handicapped cruisers but wasn't booked. It was incredibly huge ! especially the bathroom (extra space for handrails, etc) and plenty of space everywhere else. The OV and balcony cabins are great but sometimes the financial burden makes you compromise.
Adventure Of The Seas-05
Navigator Of The Seas-04
Carnival Paradise-04
Carnival Pride-03
Sea Princess-02
Soverign Of The Seas-02
Carnival Imagination-01
Carnival Destiny-00
Carnival Fascination-97
Big Red Boat-93
Nordic Prince-82
Old August 14th, 2007, 11:35 PM
First Mate

Wow, great comments everyone! How can you not be ready to go at this point. Just think, if you really don't like it, you ask Carnival to put you off the ship at the first port, they fly you back home at their expense and you never have to step foot on a ship again. But I tell you this, you'll be sorry if you don't try it! I think you'll be hooked. As Luanne said, it's a very small percentage who don't like cruising. Go for it and have a great time!
Old August 19th, 2007, 02:05 PM
Passenger

I'll chime in onthis. I have anxiety disorder and panic attacks as well as a stomach condition and was greatly concerned about the closed in feeling. I am also terribly claustrophobic. I did take a pill before boarding but once on the ship all was well. I did not have a panic attack at all. The only thing that bothered me was the elevators. Tried once and never used them again. Too small and confined. BUt the stair kept the weight off so it was a good trade off. It was funny because one of our table mates were on their first cruise and they did not like it. After the second day they said they were ready to get off. I, on the other hand, am hooked and ready to go again.
Old August 19th, 2007, 05:58 PM
Beginner

Hi, I'm new here too.

Although not claustrophobic, my first cruise was on the Fascination, inside (mid ship) with 3 other family members (in same cabin).

Seems like we weren't in our cabin much, and it wasn't much of a problem. We just enjoyed the adventure, didn't know what to expect, and expected the worst case scenerio I guess,

And had an INCREDABLE vacation and we never felt crowded. Honest! (Our cabin was a little tight, I won't kid you), but just being on the ship was worth a little sacrifice to us, and it wasn't unbearable at all. We loved the fresh air on the deks, looking at the ocean....

the HUGE ship....

Now we sail just the two of us, with whatever category we can afford at the time, and realize we have WAY MORE ROOM than we did the first time (with family).

Miss them though, we have some great memories, wish we could do that all over again.

Wish you the best, have a wonderful cruise!
Old August 19th, 2007, 06:58 PM
Administrator
Admiral

I have spoken and corresponded with MANY people who have taken one cruise and did not like it and haven't cruised since. The vast majority (I would guess over 80%) booked the "From $599 including air special" from an agent. This means they were in an inside cabin on an older ship and flew down on a charter airline.

These things can be fine but most of the time they are a prescription for a less than enjoyable cruise experience. The cabins are small, the ships are the last to sell out and charter flights can be iffy. (Note: Some charters are better than major airlines)

Also: Many of these are done by bulk agencies that do not offer great, personalized, customer service.

These people had no idea what to expect or any idea what to do once they were on board. They were angry because the cabin was so small, they had to pay for their drinks, shore excursions and were somewhat freaked out about the tips. The documentation helped but it didn't really prepare them.

It really does help to get a personalized agent or be able to do some research and find a cruise that's fits you. Especially if it's your first cruise.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me