Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 12th, 2007, 02:24 PM
Admiral

Default Needing medical attention??

I'm sure they must have a doc on board, but how does it work, if you need medical attention, is it included with the cruise? Do they bill your medical insurance? or what?
Can anyone tell me?
Thanks, in advance. 8)
Carnival-Splendor Sept 6, 2009

Sponsored Links
Old August 12th, 2007, 02:59 PM
Admiral

From what I understand any medical service will be billed to your sign and sail card. I could be wrong though. If you have travel insurance it might be covered under that policy. Maybe somebody will more knowledge will jump in here.

Need some cruise help?
Old August 12th, 2007, 04:00 PM
Admiral

I had occasion to seek medical attention on my last cruise and the charges were billed to my Sail & Sign card, insurance was not accepted.
Old August 12th, 2007, 05:57 PM
Admiral

If you have travel insurance, keep your receipts and file a claim when you return home.

#36-Carnival Splendor 9/16/12
7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

#37-Allure of the Seas 11/11/12
7 night Eastern Caribbean

#38-Celebrity Solstice 4/8/13
17 night Tahiti -- Sydney-Honolulu
40th Anniversary Celebration

270 days at see; soon to be 302
Old August 12th, 2007, 05:59 PM
Admiral

Yikes... better not get sick then. Although I do have travel inurance, I'm not sure if that's covered. I will check with my TA.
Thanks

Old August 12th, 2007, 06:23 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Needing medical attention??

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrangi
I'm sure they must have a doc on board, but how does it work, if you need medical attention, is it included with the cruise? Do they bill your medical insurance? or what?
Can anyone tell me?
Thanks, in advance. 8)
I had a tooth abscess on a cruise. I went to see the doc. He saw me, prescribed and gave an antibiotic, gave me some Tylenol 3, and the bill was right around $100. Not too bad I thought. He really was very good and didn’t try and nickel and dime you. He even suggested that if we hadn’t just left port I could have bought some cheaper antibiotics in Mexico.
Old August 12th, 2007, 08:52 PM
First Mate

If you are the type of individual who is prone to certain types of conditions (particularly infections), IMO it is worth speaking with your doctor and taking certain precautionary medications with you.

For example, I have had two oral abcesses since January - the last approximately a month ago. When I went to see the dentist this past week for my followup, I asked him for a script to fill and take with me on my upcoming relocation cruise. Chances are that I will not suffer from that problem, but I would rather have the antibiotic with me and not use it than vice versa.

I will also take a course of Zithromax with me on the cruise - I am prone to sinus and ear infections and can basically tell when I have been afflicted with such conditions. Thankfully, my doctor understands this fact.

So, my best advice to you is to speak with your regular doctor who is familiar with your medical history and what might transpire while you are outside his zone of care. S/he is the best person to look to for advice on this question.

Should something untoward happen on board the ship, I certainly think you will be well served by the staff that they have on board - my understanding (which comes from friends who are cruise ship entertainers) is that these doctors are well screened and qualified. They do charge for their services, but, as new22003 stated, their prices are not horrific.

BTW - if you don't have medical coverage on your travel insurance, your TA is not doing you a proper service.
05/03 Smokefree Paradise
08/04 Smokefree Paradise (8 days due to Francis)
01/07 Carnival Liberty
11/07 Carnival Freedom Transatlantic
05/08 Carnival Liberty
12/09 Carnival Pride
06/10 Carnival Glory
Old August 14th, 2007, 11:54 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSFP
BTW - if you don't have medical coverage on your travel insurance, your TA is not doing you a proper service.
Thanks, I spoke with my TA and she explained the process to me as to what I should do, should I get billed for any medical expenses. 8)

Old August 14th, 2007, 11:56 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrangi
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSFP
Thanks, I spoke with my TA and she explained the process to me as to what I should do, should I get billed for any medical expenses. 8)
PS: I'm not necessarliy prone to any kind of sickness, I just wanted to CMA...
Thanks, for the info. much appreciated.

Old August 15th, 2007, 05:46 PM
Beginner

It is a roll of the dice when it comes to medical care on board. I really wish that our friend the Captain was here as he is so knowledgable about this type stuff. According to Mr. Pete and Parrott Rob whom I believe are members here too, the medical staffs on Carnival are so-so. I have only used them on Holland America and they were first rate.
Old August 15th, 2007, 07:24 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboyboyer
I find it strange that there is an expectation of incredible capability of medical facilities. Carnival in their contract is under no obligation to provide any medical staff. They almost always do, it has become standard. If you were on your own in some tropical hotel on a beach, you are not going to be provided a doctor and clinic. It is certainly a risk we take anytime we travel away from home. Just be aware that you are responsible for your own health!!!
Agreed, but if you are on land you can seek your medical...
Palindrome?
Celebrity Zenith 2002
Carnival Victory 2007
NCL Dawn 2007
Carnival Miracle 2008
NCL Spirit 2008
Carnival Miracle 2008
Old August 15th, 2007, 11:18 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboyboyer
I find it strange that there is an expectation of incredible capability of medical facilities. Carnival in their contract is under no obligation to provide any medical staff. They almost always do, it has become standard. If you were on your own in some tropical hotel on a beach, you are not going to be provided a doctor and clinic. It is certainly a risk we take anytime we travel away from home. Just be aware that you are responsible for your own health!!!
I understand it is my responsiblity!
But just like planning meals and transportation while on a vacation, I simply want to know what's included in the price of the cruise... After all, I've never been on a vacation before where the food & entertainment was all paid for, but it seems it is included in the cruise price. I didn't think it a stretch that they would have some sort of medical assistance, I was pretty sure I would have to pay or at least use my medical coverage.
I'm simply excited about my first cruise, and I just want to know what to expect.
Matter of fact, I've never traveled out of the country before, I just want to be prepared.

Old August 16th, 2007, 10:02 AM
Passenger

Default Docs on board are contractors

certain rules do not apply to them...I had one(American) from New Jersey, and that's all he has ever done..no hosp/office....I had a sore throat..got a Z-pak..$48..and his visit of 3 minutes was ove $100.00..and he only kept short hrs. i was on a b2b...office opened at 4pm to 5 pm..sailing day..don't know what he did on the other hours..some one had a broken arm set..$14,000.00..My ins did't apply (military)..Saturday, no biz hrs w/tricare, out to sea, no phone #..I bit the bullet.. The dining room crew took better care of me, offering to bring a hot meal to me, getting me hot tea..and calling to ck up on me...24 hrs. I felt better