Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 13th, 2007, 04:23 PM
Passenger

Default Cozumel

Hi..I have a chance to go out of Tampa port for a 4 nights/5days on the Carnival Inspiration Ship to a one day trip in Cozumel, other days are Sea Days..
Is Cozumel worth the day sights...I would be more interested into beach, and shopping for unique items ...are they all close by the dock ?
I am not familiar with Cozumel at all...be great if anyone could help me out ..before I do book. Trip is Nov 1st-5th 2007. How is the weather then?
The Ship, food, services, etc...for the Sea Days.
Thanks sooo much !
MJ
Myrtle Beach, SC
Sponsored Links
Old August 13th, 2007, 04:35 PM
Beginner

Here's an exerpt from a review I wrote after our trip in '03.

In Coz, we went to Chankanaab Park. Pretty good place for first-time snorkeling. Gear is $3 for each item (mask and snorkel, fins, float jacket if you need it). There are many fish to see right next to the shore. Also at Chankanaab – replica Mayan ruins, iguanas everywhere, tropical pathway you can wander around on. The lagoon was a bit of a disappointment. To me, it was just a small, shallow pond with a few fish in it. Chankanaab is $10 per person. No extra charge for chairs and palapa (straw umbrella). Cab to Chankanaab is $10, from there to downtown $15, from downtown back to the ship $6. If I went back, I’d take one of the offshore reef snorkeling trips. Again, shopping was expensive in Coz. There is a shopping area right at the pier and the prices seemed to be about the same as downtown.
Old August 13th, 2007, 04:36 PM
Passenger

Hi beachcomer,
There is a lot to do in Cozmuel, from the expensive to the inexpensive. The Playa Del Sol is a great beach break. I think the last time i was there it cost $29.00 each for all day, beach, open bar, it's great. But if you just want to get off the ship and drink, go to Carlos and Charlie's. This is one wild bar and be sure to get a shot from the mexican senorita! Have fun and i am sure you will get better advise from others , as there is so much to do in Cozmuel.
Old August 13th, 2007, 05:23 PM
Captain

Cozumel ROCKS!!! Could you possibly swing the 5 day to Grand Cayman and Cozumel? If not, as mentioned, Chankanaab Park is great and 10 minute taxi ride from the docks. Ferry to mainland and the beach at Playa del Carmen is GORGEOUS. OR, if you feel like an all dayer, tour the ruins at Tulum, absolutely unforgettable. Inspiration outta Tampa is a great cruise, but again, why not do the 5 day?
Glory (eastern) 12/2006
Destiny 01/2009
Old August 13th, 2007, 07:03 PM
Admiral

Cozumel is not a very large island. Some choose to rent a jeep and drive all the way around the island.

Most of the shops are concentrated in the downtown area, so it is easy to shop.

There are numerous beaches, some without charge (Mr. Sanchos), some charge only if you wish to use the water trampoline and inflated iceberg (Paradise Beach), and then others are all inclusive. It is a great place to visit.
Mariner of the Seas

HAL Statendam Alaska Cruise Tour - 09/09/12; Disney Magic - 12/01/12; Allure of the Seas - 05/26/13
Old August 13th, 2007, 09:44 PM
Passenger

Just wondering...been on Carnival before..does Inspiration have those steak/hamburg booth? Their steak sandwiches were awesome.
Thanks..just trying to check on things..to see if worthwhile..
Thanks,
MJ
Old August 13th, 2007, 09:51 PM
Beginner

You will absolutely love the Inspiration. I went the week of July 4th, and we had a blast! I think the weather in November would be very nice.

As far as the ship goes, our service was outstanding, the food was absolutely wonderful, and the ships crew were unbelievably courteous and friendly. I had no idea that we would be so well pampered on the cruise (my first BTW).

I would highly recommend doing the 5 day (and catch Grand Cayman as well if you can). You can sign up for things to do before you actually get to Cozumel, or you can do what we did, and wait until you get off of the ship and save some $$$$$$$. We did a snorkel trip (sorry I can't remember the name) and it cost around $30 each, with free drinks to boot. There is shopping as soon as you exit the boat.

You'll love the Inspiration and Cozumel-have fun!!!!
Old August 14th, 2007, 09:28 AM
Beginner

Cozumel is fantastic! One of my favorite islands and I was a musician on 13 ships over a fifteeen year period. Rent a jeep and drive around the island-the other side is jungle on one side of the road and beach on the other, with grass thatch bars every 4 or 5 miles. Mezcalitos Beach Bar is a don't miss! Absolutley the best Marguitas in the world. It can take you 3-4 hours to leisurely circle the island

Want to save $$ on drinks on the ship? Empty large water bottles on the island and fill with white rum or vodka. Or fill coke bottles with dark rum. Havana Club rum is available in the supermarket and is one of the finest in the world. You can walk back on board and they won't confiscate your booze cause they will think it is pop! load up on fruit juice from the outside buffet and you are swinging, and the cruise line doesn't pop you for 5-6$ for a drink!