Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 13th, 2007, 06:12 PM
Admiral

Default singles cruises - roommates???

Has anyone (IBCRUIZIN for one) travelled through a singles cruise organizer and been matched with a roommate? Did things work out well? Did you decide who has the cabin to themselves at certain hours of the day? Does the cruiseline give you two safes for the room? I'm considering doing this and would love to hear people's experiences first. What other factors would you consider when sharing a cabin with a stranger?
Sponsored Links
Old August 13th, 2007, 07:26 PM
Admiral

I have not, but boy, wouldn't that be interesting....
Carnival-Splendor Sept 6, 2009

Old August 13th, 2007, 08:18 PM
Captain

Iv got a friend who is doing it. She is in her 40s and her husband died and she is having a lot of fun. I did a group cruise where I roomed with a total stranger and we enjoyed each other. We only got one safe, which made me a bit nervous, but nothing bad happened. She was not single, she is a mom of 3 teens just wanted to get away. I really enjoyed her, but wished the bathroom was not so close to the bed and we had more privacy. Im not sure its for me lol.
Old August 13th, 2007, 08:32 PM
Admiral

Default IB here!!!!

I have never roomed with a stranger. I have roomed with a girlfriend back in '99 and I have cruised with my boring ex-husband. Both situations was o.k.

Now that I am single, I have a motto: if I am not having intimate relations with you, there is no reason for us to share a cabin.

I forego the idea of an oceanview or balcony and just book the Cat 1A and hope for a small upgrade. But, I ALWAYS cruise with my own room. I don't share a room in my real life so I am not willing to compromise my privacy to save a few (more than a few) dollars.

I have made tenative plans to cruise in 2008 with a couple of girlfriend (separate cruises) and the one thing that I have stated upfront is that we have to have separate cabins. It is not negotiable.

There is an old thread on the single section of this board that goes into cabinmates, some good -- a lot bad. Do a search and read up on it and see if it is something you want to get into.

On my upcoming VTG singles cruise, many people are booked to room with strangers. When I return, I will let you know how it went with these people.

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Freedom ('09), Imagination ('08), Victory ('08), Destiny ('08), RCCL Navigator ('08), RCCL Majesty ('08), Glory ('07), Liberty ('07), Fantasy ('07), Destiny ('06), NCL PofAm ('05), Fascination ('04), Victory ('04), Fascination ('04), RCCL Voyager ('03), Fantasy ('99)
Old August 13th, 2007, 09:26 PM
Captain

Thanks IBCRUZIN' . I'm single too, so Iv looked into those single cruises and have mixed feelings. They do seem to cost more but they offer a way to meet other singles.

I might look into VTGs, thanks for the idea.
Old August 13th, 2007, 09:35 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by flowers
Thanks IBCRUZIN' . I'm single too, so Iv looked into those single cruises and have mixed feelings. They do seem to cost more but they offer a way to meet other singles.

I might look into VTGs, thanks for the idea.
Normally I book Cat. 1A guaranteed. However with VTG single cruises, they do not allow Cat 1A. I had to book a Cat. 4A guaranteed. The price VTG gave me for a solo cruiser in a Cat. 4A guaranteed was $125 more than if I booked the Cat 1A on my own but almost $300 less than what Carnival was charging for a solo cruiser in a Cat 4A. As of today, I have been upgraded to a Cat. 4D cabin in a prime location in the middle of the ship on the Embress (sp?) deck. If I had tried to book this cabin on my own, I would have paid twice what VTG charged me. I have contacted VTG and told them to alert Carnival that I am quite happy with my cabin and unless they are going to upgrade me to a balcony cabin, I did not want any further upgrades. I did not want to end up with an oceanview in a less prime location. I don't need the window, I am never in the cabin unless I am sleeping or changing clothes.

They come very highly rated and I am looking forward to this cruise. Of course, when I get back I will have a full and detailed review of both the Glory and VTG single cruises.

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Freedom ('09), Imagination ('08), Victory ('08), Destiny ('08), RCCL Navigator ('08), RCCL Majesty ('08), Glory ('07), Liberty ('07), Fantasy ('07), Destiny ('06), NCL PofAm ('05), Fascination ('04), Victory ('04), Fascination ('04), RCCL Voyager ('03), Fantasy ('99)
Old August 13th, 2007, 10:45 PM
Captain

Thanks. Iv used VTG three times for cruises, but was not aware they had their own singles cruises, so Im already ahead just on the info here.

Ill be waiting for your review.
Old August 14th, 2007, 10:48 AM
Admiral

Thanks everyone - I'm already looking at the VTG cruises and waiting for one of their "hosted" cruises to be one I can make. Timing is everything for me as it has to be when my son is with his dad during a school break.

I also really don't want to sail with a stranger in my cabin - so I will most likely wait a bit longer until I can afford the VTG singles supplement.

All the issues, especially security and privacy are pretty critical to me. I wish I had a friend or could convince my mom or sister to go with me. Maybe I can! In the meantime, I'll have to wait till 2009 or later to cruise again.
Old August 14th, 2007, 12:13 PM
Captain

I did this several times in the 90's until I got tired of rooming with strangers. Never ran into any major problems except at night with snoring but hey my girlfriend does that too. Still I would pay the supplement cause I want my privacy.
RCI Monarch of The Seas 1998
Ecstasy 2000
Carnival Miracle 9/24/07
Upcoming Fascination 11/5/09