Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 14th, 2007, 09:00 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to misguidedangel
Default How soon do you get ready (packing wise)?

I am curious to know how soon do you all get your packing list (clothes and toiletries, etc) before you go?

I can only say that I am totally ready, I have everything that I need and even have a list of what I need to bring ready to cross off as I pack each item. I don't leave for another 31 days, but I want to be ready.

Also, how many days before you leave do you start to pack? I will probably have 75% of my clothes packed at least three days before.

Aaah, only 31 days until paradise...alas, I'll hope to see well that night in Miami because I'll probably not sleep on the plane (I have a 1am flight to Toronto and then 9:45am to Miami). I'll be going from 5:30am Wednesday to Thursday evening with no sleep...unless I can take a few hours nap at the hotel....too bad the hotel is so damn close to the airport and no restaurants or shopping....c'est la vie, I'll R n R and get ready for the next day *BG*...

1991 Holiday
2007 Victory & Triumph
2008 Conquest & Liberty
2009 Valor, Freedom, and Splendor
2010 Glory and Liberty
2011 Glory

I gotta go where it's warm.....

Over 40 victim of fate.....
Sponsored Links
Old August 14th, 2007, 09:22 PM
Admiral

I start to make mental lists months ahead of time so that I can find anything I need while it is on sale and not have to panic purchase.

I make a typed list about 6 weeks before cruise.

I make sure not to wear anything I want to take with me the last couple of weeks before the cruise.

I do laundry the weekend before the cruise and usually pack right after I have folded the laundry.

I own what is called an "Amenity Bag" which is a fancy toiletry bag. In this bag I have whatever small items I plan to take with me. I have left all the items that will keep in this amenity bag since my last cruise.

All in all, my bags are usually in final pack state 3 or 4 days before the cruise. This way the last couple of nights before my cruise I can do a sweep of my home to make sure I have not left anything pertinent behind (like the kitchen sink).

On the night before, I pack up my traveling pocketbook. That is where all of my documentation, printouts, novels, makeup, jewelry, medication, etc. goes.

Everything is put near my front door the night before so I can just walk out the door in the morning nice and organized.

I am a unrepentent heavy packer.

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Freedom ('09), Imagination ('08), Victory ('08), Destiny ('08), RCCL Navigator ('08), RCCL Majesty ('08), Glory ('07), Liberty ('07), Fantasy ('07), Destiny ('06), NCL PofAm ('05), Fascination ('04), Victory ('04), Fascination ('04), RCCL Voyager ('03), Fantasy ('99)
Old August 14th, 2007, 09:30 PM
Admiral

for my July cruise, I started compiling a list from several cruise packing lists on the internet and then fine-tuned it. 2 months before the trip I did a test pack as we were only bringing 2 carry ons and no other luggage so I would know what would fit. Based on that I revised the list again. I did a final test pack 2 weeks before and then has 80% of things packed by a week before the trip.

Now that the trip is behind me, I've revised the list again as I brought some stuff I didn't need.
Old August 15th, 2007, 12:07 AM
Admiral

As with any big vacation, I start planning, printing and highlighting, months before my vacation date.
My list is usually written and re-written several times...

Then there's the down time...about 3 weeks before it starts... I just seemed to relax and not get all worked up, because it makes the time drag on, like my trip is never gonna get here.

Then the last week, we get to run around like crazy getting every last detail taken care of. It really makes the time go by much faster.
I know I'm crazy, but it works for me.

My sister usually packs the suitcases and toiletries bag... and I take care of all money, gas & food issues... we work so well together.

By the way, we are best friends and bought a home together and we take all our vacations together and have the best time... people think it's strange how well we get along, I think we are blessed.
Carnival-Splendor Sept 6, 2009

Old August 15th, 2007, 12:21 AM
Captain

Ok Michelle, where's the list. I want to know how to pack in two carry ons. We usually go for 7 days. We have 3 large suitcases, rolling ice chest, golf clubs and 2 carry ons.
I definately need help!!!
Tammy, have so much fun
ROMANS 8:28

VIKING SERENADE 1993
HOLIDAY 1995
HOLIDAY 1997
HOLIDAY 1998
ECTASY 1999
ELATION 2000
STAR PRINCESS 2002
SPIRIT 2003
NCL STAR 2004
PRIDE 2005
PRIDE 2006
PARADISE 2007
MS OOSTERDAM 2008
SPLENDOR 5/2010

Carnival Splendor
Old August 15th, 2007, 12:56 PM
Cruise Maniac

My DW starts packing about a month out. Then unpacks, packs, unpacks, and packs again! Normally, the bag are ready the night before except for the razors and things like that.

Past Cruises
Carnival Ecstasy 97
Carnival Fantasy 98
Carnival Imagination 03
Carnival Glory 05
Carnival Elation 07
Carnvial Triumph 08
Old August 15th, 2007, 12:58 PM
Admiral

30 days before we head to the airport.

SS Norway (12 times) '85 - '97; Radiance OS 06/01; Island Princess 11/04, Grand Princess 11/04/05, Golden Princess 7/21/06, Golden Princess 2/24/07, Explorer of the Seas 12/23/07, Island Princess 11/15/08
Old August 15th, 2007, 01:01 PM
Passenger

Buy anything that needs to be packed about 1 week out, pack around 9-10 PM the night before, put last minute items the morning we leave.

Carnival Liberty - 2/2007
Carnival Destiny - 4/2004
RCCL Monarch of the Seas - 7/2001
NCL Sunward II - 1982
Old August 15th, 2007, 02:24 PM
Admiral

I start "mentally" packing as soon as I book the cruise - even if the cruise is 6 months out - as I generally book shorter cruises packing has become pretty darn easy.
Valor Feb 2009: Dina & Marty - again
Grandeur Feb 2008: DTW, Dina & Marty
Inspiration May 26, 2007
Fascination: Feb 2007
Enchantment of Seas: Sept 2006
Imagination (3x)
Radiance of the Seas
Majesty of the Seas
The Big Red Boat
Old August 15th, 2007, 02:29 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty30907
My DW starts packing about a month out. Then unpacks, packs, unpacks, and packs again! Normally, the bag are ready the night before except for the razors and things like that.
I basically do what Marty's wife does. I pack and unpack for days leading up to the cruise. I have a difficult time making up my mind about what to take. Thank goodness, when the day arrives I just go with whatever is in the luggage.

Libragirl
Old August 15th, 2007, 08:22 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnie
Buy anything that needs to be packed about 1 week out, pack around 9-10 PM the night before, put last minute items the morning we leave.
Sounds about right!

NCL Crown 2005 - South America
Carnival Conquest 2007 - W. Caribbean
Holland America Oosterdam 2008 - Alaska
Old August 18th, 2007, 03:04 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to cutiecat Send a message via Yahoo to cutiecat

Wow...I am such a slacker....

I too mentally pack as soon as I book...

However, the actual packing occurs anywhere from 9p-1a...the night before I leave (or morning of??) and then I usually have to be at the airport by 6...
which leaves me with a grand total of about three hours of sleep...

I work better under pressure
Old August 18th, 2007, 06:47 PM
Passenger

We travel a lot so we have it down to a science. We make sure our dry-cleaning is done on 3 days ahead of time. We pack most of the suitcases, get the paperwork together, charge all the batteries the day before and pack the toiletries the morning of.
Old August 19th, 2007, 12:52 AM
Captain

Oh... the packing delima. I usually put out the suit case a month before... this time I took a trip to Hawaii then the cruise a couple of weeks later. ... So, I unpacked my suitcase. The one I used broke its handle. So I packed the clean cloths into another and now will just put stuff I think I will take in it. Then a couple of days before I take it all out and repack only what I need.... can't wait!
7- Sapphire Princess
6-Golden Princess
5-Carnival Paradise
4-Royal Caribbean-Monarch of the Seas
3-Carnival Glory
2-Carnival Spirit-Richard Simmons Cruise to Lose
1-Carnival Inspiration - Richard Simmons Cruise to Lose
Old August 19th, 2007, 01:21 AM
Beginner

I went on my first cruise in june.... i started packing as i bought stuff.... so i was pretty much packed about a month in advance minus a few things i could not pack untill the night b4. I think i was a little over excited
Old August 21st, 2007, 11:09 PM
Familiar Face

Default Re: How soon do you get ready (packing wise)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by misguidedangel
I am curious to know how soon do you all get your packing list (clothes and toiletries, etc) before you go?

I can only say that I am totally ready, I have everything that I need and even have a list of what I need to bring ready to cross off as I pack each item. I don't leave for another 31 days, but I want to be ready.

Also, how many days before you leave do you start to pack? I will probably have 75% of my clothes packed at least three days before.

Aaah, only 31 days until paradise...alas, I'll hope to see well that night in Miami because I'll probably not sleep on the plane (I have a 1am flight to Toronto and then 9:45am to Miami). I'll be going from 5:30am Wednesday to Thursday evening with no sleep...unless I can take a few hours nap at the hotel....too bad the hotel is so damn close to the airport and no restaurants or shopping....c'est la vie, I'll R n R and get ready for the next day *BG*...
I started packing in April, when DW came home from clothes shopping. She told me what she was taking on the cruise, and I put it in the suitcase.

Barney
Old August 22nd, 2007, 08:12 AM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnie
This sounds like me. I have even been know to back that morning before my 8 am flight.

I am also famous in my group for packing and leaving. I get books at the thrift store, read 'em and leave 'em - bring toothpaste that's almost gone, old underwear, etc. This way I have more room if I find any treasures
Old August 22nd, 2007, 10:14 AM
Admiral

About 30 days before the cruise, I will mentally think about what clothes I want to bring. 2 weeks before, I will take any clothes to the dry cleaners. The week before we cruise, I will gather everything together and really think about whether I have too much, too littler, etc. Gather the shoes together (separate bag for all my shoes!) I don't put anything in a suitcase until the day before we sail. No lists!
Mariner of the Seas

HAL Statendam Alaska Cruise Tour - 09/09/12; Disney Magic - 12/01/12; Allure of the Seas - 05/26/13
Old August 22nd, 2007, 10:14 AM
Admiral

more packing tips:

make sure to bring clothes that you can mix and match, plan to wear shirts twice, bring shirts made of material that easily dries overnight so you can wash them (if dirty) in the sink and wring them out, then hang them to dry (or put in the dryer to save laundry costs, that way you pay only for drying, not washing.

bring shirts that you may wear around the ship during the day or on an excursion, then you can just leave them behind to be thrown out (or used by the crew).

for a long cruise, wear the same thing for both formal nights. No one will notice or care!
Old August 22nd, 2007, 11:29 AM
Captain

Michelle, I like the way you think, but I am still waiting for my list I'm leaving in 2 weeks and haven't even started getting things together. (Of course I'll blame you for not sending me your list )
ROMANS 8:28

VIKING SERENADE 1993
HOLIDAY 1995
HOLIDAY 1997
HOLIDAY 1998
ECTASY 1999
ELATION 2000
STAR PRINCESS 2002
SPIRIT 2003
NCL STAR 2004
PRIDE 2005
PRIDE 2006