CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Carnival Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/)
-   -   Tip for luggage handler ? (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/338099-tip-luggage-handler.html)

rob6465 August 15th, 2007 11:40 PM

Tip for luggage handler ?

My wife and I will be on the Conquest in September. How much do we tip the luggage handler to take our 2 luggages to our room with no problems ?

Bobby_G August 15th, 2007 11:53 PM

You tip the luggage gy who takes at at the terminal. But I don't think you'll see who takes it to your room.

CA Cruiser August 16th, 2007 12:01 AM

We tip the porters at the dock $5 for our pieces of luggage. A few times we have been in our cabin when our luggage was being delivered (not by the porters or cabin steward) and we tipped that guy too cause he really was doing the work!

ready2gonow August 16th, 2007 01:24 AM

In Galveston, the normal tip would be $1 to $2 per bag. This would be paid to the porter that takes the baggage curbside. Happy sailing!

Michelle1959 August 16th, 2007 09:07 AM

Whenm we took the transfer from Orlando airpott to Port Canaveral, we had our carryons loaded on the motor coach. When we arrived, our carryons were put into huge metal bins for transport to the ship, along with everyone else's large suitcases. We had to haul a few of the suitcases out of the way to grab our carryons (as we only travelled with carryons) and then the porters were all standing around with their hands out saying "dont' forget to tip your porter" - it was really in the face and annoying. So we tipped them, then about 10 yards away as we walked towards the port building there was a sign posted stating: "baggage porters are salaried, tipping not required."

While I certainly believe in tipping when service is warranted, I don't need them standing there literally begging for tips. I felt sorry for them as obviously they don't get paid very much. But I didn't see any of them offer to get my bags out of the luggage bins for me as I was trying to get to them.

The next time I cruise, I will make sure to keep my carryons on the coach with me - they do have some overhead compartments for that or you can fit them in front of you on the floor. If that's not possible, then I'll make sure to have a porter grab my carryons, and that person will get the tip.

skymaster August 16th, 2007 09:43 AM

As stated above, the recommended amount for the porters who take the checked bags from you vehicle to the ship is $1 or $2 per bag. I think that's fair, as they do help get the bags out of the trunk of the car, and make sure the luggage tags are on them, and are proper.

:D Ken

adias.angel August 16th, 2007 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skymaster
As stated above, the recommended amount for the porters who take the checked bags from you vehicle to the ship is $1 or $2 per bag. I think that's fair, as they do help get the bags out of the trunk of the car, and make sure the luggage tags are on them, and are proper.

:D Ken

Agreed we tipped ours $1 per bag. He was so great pulling the heavy bags out of the trunk and getting our luggage tags right. He didn't even ask for a tip but started to just walk away.

marty30907 August 16th, 2007 10:41 AM

We normally tip a $1 per bag or $5, which ever is greater.