Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 16th, 2007, 07:36 AM
Admiral

Default December holiday cruise...

on Cruises that sail in late December, besides the obviously strong focus on Christmas, are there provisions, activities, etc. for other religions?
Are there Chanukah and Kwanzaa related activities? Not that it would prevent me from going if there aren't, but it would be nice to know.

Also do ships that cruise during Christmas week usually have smaller crowds?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old August 16th, 2007, 10:38 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: December holiday cruise...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle1959
on Cruises that sail in late December, besides the obviously strong focus on Christmas, are there provisions, activities, etc. for other religions?
Are there Chanukah and Kwanzaa related activities? Not that it would prevent me from going if there aren't, but it would be nice to know.

Thanks!
We saw listings in the Capers for various celebrations of faith for different religious affiliations during our Christmas cruise. "obviously strong focus on Christmas" is an overstatement, IMHO. Note that we sailed on the Holiday, small ship, and we were disappointed, but I would say, based on other posts, that the larger ships do more as far as activities, decor, etc. Smaller crowds? My goodness, NO! There were more small children running around than we had ever seen on any sailing. Should have been prepared, though, as we had read many, many posts that emphasized that fact, which makes sense in hindsight as all the children are out of school over the holidays and, of course people are going to go on a holiday cruise with the entire family. We just were not prepared for the huge number that were on our sailing. For us, that is the main reason that we won't sail again during the Christmas season. That and the price. Glad we did one, but won't do one again. We did notice, though, that Camp Carnival was up and running full blast and all of the little ones looked so happy and never looked bored, so for them, the cruise over Christmas was probably the best they had ever had

RCCL Monarch of the Seas 5/98
RCCL Majesty of the Seas 1/02
CCL Fascination 10/03
CCL Holiday 11/04
CCL Celebration 5/05
HAL Statendam 5/05
CCL Holiday Xmas/06
Crown Princess 10/07
Old August 16th, 2007, 11:17 AM
Admiral

wow, I forgot that it might be more expensive during the holidays. I guess I'll re-think December and try and go 3 month later, during spring break 2010 when my son will be with his dad. I really don't want to deal with spring break crowds of roudy drunk 18-22 year olds, but at least the cost is less than xmas time.

My other choice is to go in June, when he's with his dad for 2 weeks, but I'd rather go to the caribbean when it's still cold here and not as humid there as the summer months are.
Old August 16th, 2007, 11:19 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Here's a link to an article I wrote awhile back about holiday cruises. We've done several, and they can be alot of fun. Though I think the New Year's cruises are livlier and more fun overall than Christmas sailings.
http://www.cruisemates.com/articles/kukiside/xmas.cfm

Christmas cruises are almost always sold out, with LOTS of families ( I remember one Christmas cruise with over 1000 kids onboard) and the prices for those cruises are normally $300 -$500 pp higher per person cost than the cruise the week before, or a couple of weeks later.
Old August 16th, 2007, 11:40 AM
Admiral

Kuki,

Thanks, good article! I would prefer tons of college kids over little kids running around, since I"ll be going solo. But I'll keep in mind the new year's cruise, and hopefully I can do one on a year when my son is with his dad for that week! Isn't a NYE cruise also more expensive? I just might have to wait for that one.

I know this sounds morbid, but when my dad passes, I will inherit some money and will be most likely book a balcony cabin on a 9-day southern caribbean cruise on one of the newest ships. He's 84 next month and I hope he's around for another 10-15 years!

Until then, I'm living on a single mom's salary, and just hoping to do one solo cruise in the next few years.
Old August 16th, 2007, 12:11 PM
Admiral

Quote:
wow, I forgot that it might be more expensive during the holidays. I guess I'll re-think December and try and go 3 month later, during spring break 2010 when my son will be with his dad. I really don't want to deal with spring break crowds of roudy drunk 18-22 year olds, but at least the cost is less than xmas time.

My other choice is to go in June, when he's with his dad for 2 weeks, but I'd rather go to the caribbean when it's still cold here and not as humid there as the summer months are.
spring break is not cheaper and then you do have a lot of rowdy kids! on both Carnival and RC.... and also, the heat/humidty in the Carribbean is still pretty high during spring break.

now the second week of January is usually a good price; is it possible for you to have your son stay an extra week with dad.
Valor Feb 2009: Dina & Marty - again
Grandeur Feb 2008: DTW, Dina & Marty
Inspiration May 26, 2007
Fascination: Feb 2007
Enchantment of Seas: Sept 2006
Imagination (3x)
Radiance of the Seas
Majesty of the Seas
The Big Red Boat
Old August 16th, 2007, 12:24 PM
Captain

Quote:

Michelle,

Spring break won't be cheap either. All holiday times and summer are expensive. Usually the cheapest rates are during the Fall, although, that isn't true for this Fall. I read that Carnival has a record number of people cruising to the Caribbean this year, and you can tell by the prices of the cruises that this is true. Prices drop when they are trying to fill the ships. Obviously, they aren't having that problem this Fall because the prices are very high.

We have booked 3 cruises that are one year to one and a half years away. At the present time, booking early seems to be the way to go. These three cruises we booked are much cheaper than the cruises within the next 6 months or so.

Good luck. I hope you find a great deal. If you do, you need to book it right away because the prices fluctuate so much!!!

Libragirl
Old August 16th, 2007, 01:16 PM
Admiral

thanks Libragirl... a lot to keep in mind! I can only cruise when my son is on break and with his dad for the week, at least until he's much older (he's 14). so that leaves out the Fallf or me. His dad works at 6 a.m. so I can't rely on him to get our son to school or I WOULD go during the fall or late spring.
Old August 16th, 2007, 02:43 PM
Captain

Default Re: December holiday cruise...

Quote:

Thanks!
Michelle:

It was a long time ago but I sailed during Chanukah on the Imagination in 1996. There were no activitives per se but they had a big electric Menorah in the Atrium. I tripped over the stand lol.

Don't know about Kwazaa but As far as Channukah goes I suspect that is as fas as it goes. Carnival (Despite having been founded by Ted Arison, an Israeli) is not out to court a Jewish Crowd. Their brochure says Kosher food not availiable, which probably has mostly to do with logistics. That is setting a Kosher kitchen is not feasible for the small demand.

Still they might have something these days you'd would have to ask them.

Also some other lines might have something though. My uncle, a Rabbi was once invited to sail on an NCL cruise to perform his duties.

if you want to avoid the kiddie crowd, By the way, sail a week or two before Christmas while schools still in session. The ships should be at least all decked out for the holidays by then.
RCI Monarch of The Seas 1998
Ecstasy 2000
Carnival Miracle 9/24/07
Upcoming Fascination 11/5/09
Old August 16th, 2007, 04:03 PM
Captain

We had to clear the bridge/card room for a Jewish worship about dinner Saturday, so they do hold get togethers for other religions.

Carnival is holding some great prices right now thru Dec 20th 2007 out of California with some huge OBC, 3 day event. For a 8 day you got $250 cabin OBC plus some super rates. Very good prices. Wish I had free flight...Id have booked at those prices. Even a short cruise they were giving $150 OBC. I think today might be the last day of the sale though.
Old August 16th, 2007, 04:19 PM
Admiral

yeah, I see a lot of good deal out there, however I'm limited to (for now) only travelling when my son is with his dad during spring, summer or winter breaks.

so I guess I'll have to aim for his spring break or early June, when it's not as hot in the caribbeanand forget about Xmas due to the higher prices.
Old August 16th, 2007, 04:23 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by flowers
We had to clear the bridge/card room for a Jewish worship about dinner Saturday, so they do hold get togethers for other religions.

Carnival is holding some great prices right now thru Dec 20th 2007 out of California with some huge OBC, 3 day event. For a 8 day you got $250 cabin OBC plus some super rates. Very good prices. Wish I had free flight...Id have booked at those prices. Even a short cruise they were giving $150 OBC. I think today might be the last day of the sale though.
As I said my experience was quite a few years ago, and may not apply now.
RCI Monarch of The Seas 1998
Ecstasy 2000
Carnival Miracle 9/24/07
Upcoming Fascination 11/5/09
Old August 16th, 2007, 11:25 PM
Passenger

Why don't you take your son? He'll be so busy with activities, you'll be able to do your own thing.
We're taking my granddaughter for the 3rd pre-Christmas cruise. While there are some decoarations and a show where the kids sing Christmas songs, the atmosphere is not overwhelmingly Christmas. It's probably easier to forget that it's Christmas time on the ship than on land. There are kids- but I've never been bothered by them. They're usually in the Carnival kids camp. I'd much rather go then than with a bunch of drunk spring break college students.
Old August 17th, 2007, 09:04 AM
Admiral

We went last year around Thanksgiving. I booked not thinking about kids being out of school for the holiday. We were on the Elation, about the size as the Sensation, there were over 1000 kids on the cruise. We knew there were lots of kids, but not that many. Camp Carnival kept them busy and they were mostly "out of site". It was the older kids that were the pain in the butt. Walking around with those stupid beeping walkie talkies in the buffett area trying to locate friends. I hate those those!!

Need some cruise help?
Old August 20th, 2007, 04:32 AM
Admiral

I bet the kid counselors are really, really busy then

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old August 20th, 2007, 08:08 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsyfish
Why don't you take your son? He'll be so busy with activities, you'll be able to do your own thing.
We're taking my granddaughter for the 3rd pre-Christmas cruise. While there are some decoarations and a show where the kids sing Christmas songs, the atmosphere is not overwhelmingly Christmas. It's probably easier to forget that it's Christmas time on the ship than on land. There are kids- but I've never been bothered by them. They're usually in the Carnival kids camp. I'd much rather go then than with a bunch of drunk spring break college students.
I just took my son on Sensation last month. I determined he's not the best candidate for a cruise as he's not interested in activities with other teens, and would rather watch tv and play in the video arcade. Other than our excursions, and some mini-golf, the activities on board didn't interest him. When he's older, we'll cruise again when he's old enough to enjoy/appreciate the other activities. If he wants to cruise again, that is. I know the cruise bug bit me, but it only nibbled a little bit on him.

So I'm doing a solo on Fascination in June, when there won't be a crazy holiday crowd or a more crazy spring break crowd, and it won't be as humid as july or august. Also, way too early for a major hurricane.