Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 16th, 2007, 08:31 PM
Captain

Default seasoned cruisers, i have a few silly ? about hurricanes...

Ok, so i dont know where dean came from i havent heard a stinking thing about it till today! Im in the dark! But alas, its one of my fears for booking in sept. I usually vacation sept/oct and have always gotten lucky, maybe this is my karma catching up.

We still have exactly 3 weeks till the 3 B's cruise (galv, coz, cayman, jamaica), which of course all three have been targeted for med to severe damage from this storm.

biggest fear, galveston being messed up to bad to utilize the harbor.

With those of you who have cruised after a hurricane, how was it? They say that this could take a week or so for it to die down. Is it possible it will be canceled, or snorkling cancelled etc?

Ok, pass the valium and make me a cosmo, im stressed!
Sponsored Links
Old August 16th, 2007, 08:40 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

As long as you can get on the ship you will have a cruise, and if the harbor is damaged they might even use an alternate harbor. They will not (very very unlikely NOT) cancel the cruise. If the ports are damaged Carnival utilizes many other ports in the vicinity - Costa Maya, etc...

You should get the CruiseMates newsletter, we discussed it today...

Hurricane Season Gets a Late Start
While hurricane season officially begins on June 1st and lasts through November 30th, the first hurricanes of this season have just appeared this week. But we have had three already, and one of them is a rare Pacific storm.
Fortunately, two have already becomes little more than a blip as far as cruise lines are concerned, and the only itinerary changes noted so far are NCL-America changing its two Hawaii ships to avoid "Flossie" by spending a day at sea instead of visiting Hilo and Kona, ports on the big island of Hawaii, last Tuesday and Wednesday.

Flossie eventually passed 90 miles south of Hawaii's South Point, but is dropping a considerable amount of rain.

Itinerary changes are the usual response to hurricanes by cruise ships. In most cases, they will send the cruise ship to the opposite side of the Caribbean from the one experiencing storm activity. For example, if the storm is hitting the Eastern Caribbean islands of St. Thomas, St. Martin or Puerto Rico, they will send the ship to the Western Caribbean isles of Jamaica, Grand Cayman and Cozumel.

All cruisers should know that hurricane season is a good time to pick up a Caribbean cruise bargain, and chances are very low you will be affected. The worst possible outcome in almost all cases is a change in itinerary. Avoiding the storm is easy, but hurricanes can be very large storms (unlike tornados) and ships usually cannot go around them. Most people will see as many islands as were scheduled anyway.

The worst case scenario occurs when ships leave from more northerly ports like Port Canaveral and don't have the Western Caribbean as an option because the storm lies in the East Caribbean - between them and their destination. Such ships often have few options other than the Bahamas. Sometimes cruises to Bermuda are similarly cut off from the island and may be re-directed to the Bahamas and the near Caribbean.

Such itinerary changes are purely the cruise line's decision, and it is not mandatory or even common practice to give passengers any kind of refund or rebate when a storm prevents a ship from reaching its scheduled ports. Every cruise contract specifically states that ports are subject to change and no compensation is required.

However, if the stand-in itinerary is exceedingly dull or repetitive, the cruise line may choose to reward the passengers' patience with shipboard credit or other perks. Such compensation is more likely when a ship is forced to spend many days at sea because there are few available ports.

More about Hurricanes:

Caribbean hurricanes almost always start in the deep southern Atlantic, off the southwest coast of Africa, and then move northwest very slowly for a few days before they choose a path to the west or the east. The amount of change in direction is the primary concern and most unpredictable aspect to hurricane watchers.

Some hurricanes go almost directly west (a left turn) and end up in the warmer gulf waters to land anywhere from Venezuela to Yucatan or Alabama, often with considerable force. Others make a hard right turn and run over the Eastern Caribbean islands or just go straight up the Atlantic and may hit the mainland USA anywhere from Florida to Maine, or never hit land at all. Any hurricane may grow or fizzle, or stall or change direction at any time.

Hurricanes are fueled by warm, southerly ocean water, so they tend to "lose steam" the farther north they go. The wind is the first concern, as gusts nearing 200 miles per hour can lift and move heavy objects, but in most cases, as with Katrina, the most damage is done with the surge of water that the storm carries with it.

All hurricanes tend to move forward at very slow speeds, from a near standstill to about 20 miles per hour, which is what makes it extremely easy for cruise ships to avoid them.
Old August 16th, 2007, 10:12 PM
Captain

if the galveston port is messed up, do you suppose they would use the houston port or make us fly to another port (which could break our bank on excusion money)

also, how soon in advance does the ship line notify us usually of port changes so that we can make alternative plans (esp if we miss the stngray swim, that would be a bummer and a half!)
Old August 16th, 2007, 10:35 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

If the cruise line has no change the departure port (VERY UNLIKELY) THEY will arrange your transportation.

As far as notice on missing ports of call, if they know ahead of time, they'll off course let you know, but those decisions could even be made during the cruise.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old August 16th, 2007, 10:37 PM
Admiral

I doubt that we will notified of a change of itinerary, until we are actually on the ship. I'm don't know if they would use the Port of Houston facility, or if they would go to New Orleans, since they sail out of there already. I'm packing a good attitude and a credit card with a very high line of credit!

Say your prayers that we will be between the tropical systems. Hurricane Dean will have come and gone by the time we sail. Since they aren't talking about anything else, hopefully we will be fine.

We live about 20 miles from the coast (as the crow flies), so if a storm comes while we are sailing, I'll have much bigger problems than a change of itinerary.
Mariner of the Seas

HAL Statendam Alaska Cruise Tour - 09/09/12; Disney Magic - 12/01/12; Allure of the Seas - 05/26/13
Old August 16th, 2007, 10:47 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via Yahoo to cruzaddict

nurseypoo,
When the port of New Orleans was shut down due to Katrina, our group cruise on Sensation for spring of 2006 was moved to Galveston on a sister ship Ecstasy. They did not have to provide us transportation because we were going to just drive in the other direction, (I live nearly halfway between NO and Galveston) but they did give everyone in our group an additional $75 on board credit even the kids (we already had $100 per cabin for our group booking).
Just one example of compensation for a change due to Hurricane damage.

Carnival Ecstasy 4-06, Carnival Conquest 9-07
Mariner OTS 9-08, Carnival Conquest 2-09
Carnival Conquest 9-09, Carnival Fantasy 1-10
Carnival Triumph 5-11, Mariner OTS 11-11
Old August 16th, 2007, 11:49 PM
Passenger

So, what I'm hearing is that say, if the Port of Galveston was devastated, they could sail into the Port of New orleans, and one would be on their own to arrange transportation back, or get a $75 credit or so? This is sounding more stressful all the time. I'm fine with other iteneraries, but to wind up someplace completely different and be responsible financially for your own way back sounds like a huge problem.
Old August 17th, 2007, 07:48 AM
Admiral

changing the port is the last resort; the port would have to be truly devastated; I have sailed out of Port Caneveral when there was (1) hurricane holding up the ship (it was late getting back to port; there was a tropical storm at the port and 4 more hurricanes in our path - if it is safe for the ship and employees to utilize the port, they will; even if it means a delay getting the ship to the port; then the rest of the itenieary is not cast in stone; the captain will chart a course according to the weather. . .

it was kinda cool, sailing in between hurricanes, you can see the weather off in the distance and be amazed that you had relatively (key word relatively) small seas - yeah it was windy and occasionally a little rocky. but other than missing one port of call, everything else was cruising as normal.
Valor Feb 2009: Dina & Marty - again
Grandeur Feb 2008: DTW, Dina & Marty
Inspiration May 26, 2007
Fascination: Feb 2007
Enchantment of Seas: Sept 2006
Imagination (3x)
Radiance of the Seas
Majesty of the Seas
The Big Red Boat