Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 17th, 2007, 07:12 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo
Default Cozumel Gets Ready

The following is what my friend has placed on her web site.

Thought you guys would be interested.

FRIDAY AUG 17TH
Seems the forecasters still believe that DEAN will spend some time here in Cozumel and the word is out. Throwing caution to the wind this time doesn't seem like a very good idea right now (although having a cerveza DOES!) so initial preparations have begun all over the island and everyone is stocking up on basic supplies. Last night the gasoline lines began forming at all 3 gas stations and quickly the wait became over 2 hours to fill up. The gas stations have instructions only to fill vehicles at this time, not containers. All of the grocery store shelves are being depleted and re-stocked as quickly as possible although now the stock boys are just bringing out boxes and letting folks take from there ~ no time to refill the shelves. The bank /ATM lines are extremely long as folks spend money on supplies and return to withdraw more. Many boat operators are now securing their boats and equipment and tour operators are providing their last tours to visitors today and tomorrow. I've spoken with folks in Cancun and Isla de Holbox today and they are all doing the same. Will stay online as long as possible with updates ~ thanks for all the emails and thoughts!

THURSDAY AUG 16TH
So we’re all pondering the latest weather forecasts and trying to figure out if we should have another cerveza and throw caution to the wind or if we should mind our p’s and q’s and begin the daunting task of preparing for this Hurricane DEAN to hit us these next few days.

Phone calls are being made, emails written and prayers sent up trying to obtain validation that the storm is really coming. Initiating the vast amount of work we are all about to begin means switching our focus from customer service over to basic human survival for a few days.

So if you call or email anyone in Cozumel right now, please be patient in awaiting a response. Everyone here will be back to doing what they love best as soon as is humanly possible ~ taking care of island visitors.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Sponsored Links
Old August 17th, 2007, 07:46 PM
Captain

Boy, does that bring back memories. I have been feeling for Cozumel. They still have not recoved from the last time they were hit from what I hear. I hope everyone cruising from the gulf this next week doesnt have any trouble either and that somehow the hurricane would not hit Cozumel with a direct hit. It sounds like fun and you are all excited to go thru the hurricane part....its the no electricity and clean up that I dreaded. Its so HOT without A/C. lol. We forget.

Yes, my heart will be with Cozumel and Jamaica and all those in the path of the storm.
Old August 17th, 2007, 08:25 PM
Admiral

I hope they don't get blasted like last time.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old August 18th, 2007, 12:17 AM
Passenger

I am praying for them. I just saw on CNN weather where they will probably get a Cat 5 Hurricane.
Old August 18th, 2007, 12:27 AM
First Mate

This is awful! Poor people! I hope it downgrades.
Old August 18th, 2007, 07:20 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

I just watched an update as well, and it seems the western itinerary is right in Dean's sites..Jamaica, Grand Cayman, and Cozumel.

Several years ago, we were the first ship into St Thomas, after the double whammy of Marilyn & Luis. The damage was so devestating to see. I pray everyone comes through this alive, and with minimal damage, but that does not look like it's in the cards:(

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old August 18th, 2007, 08:25 AM
Admiral

WOW, this is exactly what they DON;T need. They haven't even finished repairing the docks from the last storms. My hopes and prayers are with them, and if they do get hit, I hope the damage to life and property isn't nearly as bad as the last time.

Ken
Old August 18th, 2007, 07:21 PM
Passenger

I was just in Cozumel on Thursday and several of the locals were talking about the potential bad weather. My fingers are crossed for them....It makes it more real for me now that I've been there.
Old August 18th, 2007, 08:56 PM
Beginner

Looks like it might be a bad one. Will say a prayer for the wonderful people in Cozumel and all who are in the path of Dean
Old August 18th, 2007, 09:38 PM
Admiral

I just booked a cruise to Key West and Cozumel for June 2008, I hope they don't get hit too hard! If so, I will still keep my cruise plans because they need the money - even what little I may spend on shore - to rebuild and to keep their stores & restaurants, etc. in business!!
Old August 19th, 2007, 06:52 PM
Admiral

This was just posted on my friends web site. Please help me to pray for them.

SUNDAY AUG 19TH 12:40 a.m.
It's times like these that make me reconsider having my office on beachfront street. When I think about it, an awful lot of energy is expended each hurricane season by me and my staff just packing up and vacating the premises as storm threats arise. All my professional life I have been in pursuit of the paperless office and by golly the closest I've ever gotten seems to be here and now. But to my dismay, the papers have simply been replaced by a vast array of cables, attenas and devices all designed to keep us "wireless and connected." Instead of papers ~ we're lugging around equipment!

So we're packed up here at the office and ready to go ~ back away from the beach and into the relative safety of the interior of the city for the duration of the storm. I hope it's really wireless back there! And I know as I get comfortable over the next few days I will convince myself once again that I should just stay put and keep my office in town somewhere so all this packing and lugging isn't necessary. But then after the storm, as always, I will return here to my "room with a view" and once again fall in love with the turqoise of the sea. I'll look for an outlet, pull a cable from my briefcase and gaze at the brilliant color of the sea as my computer comes to life. Relocate? What was I thinking?!!

In case this is my last post for awhile with DEAN passing over ~

For all my island friends ~ be careful and stay safe these next few days.
To everyone else ~ thanks for all the emails and thoughts!
We will be back online as soon as possible doing what we love best ~ taking care of island visitors!
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Old August 19th, 2007, 07:32 PM
Passenger

Luanne,
Will be praying for your friend and everyone there. That certainly must be a scary situation, given the size of the island. Where do people go to be safe?
Old August 19th, 2007, 09:03 PM
Admiral

All they can do is to try to get as far away from the ocean as possible, which isn't far. Some are going to the mainland, and the back side away from the direct hit. Also, some built better this time, after learning hard lessons the last.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Old August 19th, 2007, 09:12 PM
Admiral

prayers for those in the path of this hurricane

for those who have never "had to batton down the hatches and wait for a storm to hit"; you have no idea of the anxiety and stress that occurs when waiting for a storm to hit you when you are helpless to do anythign but take basic precautions; its horrible. what makes it worse is for the people on lower incomes who cannot afford to stock up on basic necessities; when you are living from paycheck to paycheck; it isn't easy to run out and stock up on food, water, gas, etc....
Valor Feb 2009: Dina & Marty - again
Grandeur Feb 2008: DTW, Dina & Marty
Inspiration May 26, 2007
Fascination: Feb 2007
Enchantment of Seas: Sept 2006
Imagination (3x)
Radiance of the Seas
Majesty of the Seas
The Big Red Boat
Old August 19th, 2007, 09:31 PM
Passenger

Luanne,
Doesn't look like your friend will head for the mainland, but instead stay on the island? Will again keep her and everyone else there in my prayers.
Old August 20th, 2007, 04:49 AM
Admiral

In '83, we got hit with a hurricane and I was with the fire department then. We dodged tornadoes and rain to answer calls for service. I don't look to do that anymore.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old August 20th, 2007, 01:40 PM
Yeoman

My heart is just breaking for these people. Everyone was so nice in those ports we visited in March.