Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

View Poll Results: Would you or someone you know NOT cruise with Carnival due to the fact no Kosher option is offered?
Yes 8 22.86%
No 22 62.86%
I don't know anyone who keeps Kosher, but I'd say Yes if I did. 5 14.29%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 18th, 2007, 09:50 PM
Yeoman

Send a message via AIM to SuperGreg
Default NO KOSHER ON CARNIVAL FLEET

Now Carnival just needs to start preparing Kosher meals, THEN they will become the superior cruise line for almost any person.

For the record, Carnival Cruise Lines does not serve Kosher meals ON ANY OF THEIR SHIPS-- which deters many people from their ships.

Which lines have Kosher, which do not.
EVERY SHIP IN FLEET: Azamara, Costa, Crystal, Cunard, Disney, Holland America, NCL, Princess, Regent, Royal Caribbean, Seabourn, Azamara

Most/Some IN FLEET: Celebrity, MSC, P&O

This leaves Carnival Cruise Lines-- with a total of ZERO ships which have a Kosher option.

Well here's my quick explaination of what Kosher is:

http://www.jewfaq.org/kashrut.htm
Basically this is it.... No ham or pig products, no shellfish, no meat and dairy is to be eaten together within like a 6-8 hour period, certain parts of animals cannot be eaten and meat/fish must be blessed/killed in a certain way in accordance with Jewish Laws.

Future Cruises!
NONE!!

Past Cruises!
Royal Caribbean- Vision of the Seas- Dec. 31, 2006 - January 7, 2007
Carnival Pride- Dec. 18-25, 2005
Celebrity Summit- Summer 2004
Carnival Ecstasy
Carnival Elation

And Many more that can't remember off the top of my head!
Cruise Lines I Have Been On
Carnival (many times)
Royal Caribbean (many times)
Celebrity

University of Arizona '12!
Sponsored Links
Old August 18th, 2007, 11:15 PM
Admiral

I live in NYC which as a large Jewish population. I work with people that would not cruise Carnival for that reason. However, there are also people that have various other religious beliefs that may prevent them from cruising a particular cruiseline or ship.

I didn't know that about Carnival. Can't say I am surprised. Carnival is the epitome of a mass market cruiseline. They have a set formula and seem to stick to it.

Also, if they cater to a Jewish food restrictions, wouldn't that open up a can of litigous worms from other religions that may want their customs honored?

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Freedom ('09), Imagination ('08), Victory ('08), Destiny ('08), RCCL Navigator ('08), RCCL Majesty ('08), Glory ('07), Liberty ('07), Fantasy ('07), Destiny ('06), NCL PofAm ('05), Fascination ('04), Victory ('04), Fascination ('04), RCCL Voyager ('03), Fantasy ('99)
Old August 18th, 2007, 11:51 PM
Admiral

Interesting enough Muslims too adhere to Kosher rules. Many crew members come from Muslim nations so it brings up the question... Do the cruise lines prepare Kosher meals for the crew ?

Read and post cruise reviews

Read and post cruise reviews
/ticker.png">
Old August 19th, 2007, 12:04 AM
Yeoman

Good point.

The problem I brought up was that Kosher food is available on almost every ship-- except the RCI fleet.

I was researching this because my brother is orthodox and keeps Kosher... This is preventing us from going on the Carnival Pride @ a great time and for a great price!

Future Cruises!
NONE!!

Past Cruises!
Carnival Ecstasy
Carnival Elation

Carnival (many times)
Celebrity

Old August 19th, 2007, 02:19 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Except for specific "kosher charters or groups" the kosher meals the cruise lines provide are pre-prepared frozen meals, and have to be arranged well in advance of sailing.

Not sure there's many who want to pay the price of a cruise to eat frozen dinners.
Those who were would be a very small market.

On the other hand there are several cruises a year that are "glatt kosher", with all freshly prepared meals. They do charge a premium for those groups.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old August 19th, 2007, 12:12 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBCRUZIN'
Also, if they cater to a Jewish food restrictions, wouldn't that open up a can of litigous worms from other religions that may want their customs honored?
I'm Jewish but don't keep Kosher. And as stated above by Kuki, people can request kosher "frozen" meals. I have heard that other things (i.e. food allergies) have been handled well by Carnival based on advance requests. The cruise line DO have to cater primarily to the majority of their customers and as always, us Jews are in the minority. Kosher keeping Jews are even a small minority.

However, if other cruiselines have fresh, not frozen kosher fare, then Yes, Carnival should certainly get on that band wagon!

If you can have Kosher on Carnival simply by ordering these meals in advance, then your claim that they do not serve Kosher is not valid.
Old August 19th, 2007, 01:10 PM
Admiral

This is also interesting because (unless I am mistaken) I have read (or heard) that the Arison's are Jewish.

If it is Carnival and it floats....we have sailed it!

Hubby ... DIAMOND (every ship except the Carnivale)
Me ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale)
20 year old son ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale...he is the only DOUBLE Milestone under the age of 21)
24 year old son ... DIAMOND
Old August 19th, 2007, 01:46 PM
Administrator
Admiral

I am not Jewish but I have cruised with Jewish people, on Celebrity and Princess, who do adhere to kosher and truthfully they have admitted that the frozen meals aren't too great and some are pretty bad. They cruise for the joy of cruising and for the itineraries but feel somewhat "short changed" by not having the wonderful food selections.

They have cruised on the glatt kosher cruises and they do get wonderful kosher foods but they do pay a premium for it.

I believe Carnival should have the kosher option but I don't believe they are destroying their market by not doing so.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old August 19th, 2007, 02:28 PM
Yeoman

In December, my family consisting of my dad, step-mom, step-brother, and me, went on the RCCL Vision of the Seas.

Only my brother keeps Kosher, so that's another reason we would cruise a 'traif' or un-kosher ship-- as long as they have special preparations in advance. When booking the Vision, we told them we need to have Kosher meals all the time for him. They were VERY accomodating! Once we arrived on the ship, we went to the MaƮtre d' of the dining room and he gave my brother a wide variety of frozen foods to pick from-- he told us they were actually pretty decent. I tried the food too, and for Kosher food that was frozen, it was quite good. They also specially prepared a salad complete with onions, tomatos, lettuce, and some balsamic vinegar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle1959
However, if other cruiselines have fresh, not frozen kosher fare, then Yes, Carnival should certainly get on that band wagon!

If you can have Kosher on Carnival simply by ordering these meals in advance, then your claim that they do not serve Kosher is not valid.
Well, we aren't going to have the whole ship catered. My point is valid though... because on almost any other cruiseline kosher food can be provided as long as they are told beforehand. Also-- the food is frozen on other ships, but they can provide salads, as stated before.

Future Cruises!
NONE!!

Past Cruises!
Carnival Ecstasy
Carnival Elation

Carnival (many times)
Celebrity

Old August 19th, 2007, 04:21 PM
Admiral

Our 2 boys did find this interesting when we went to Israel for a couple of weeks in 2000.

We walked into a Pizza Hut and they wanted to order a Pepperoni and cheese pizza. I had to explain to them that this wasn't going to happen.
So they got a cheese pizza. It was good!!

If it is Carnival and it floats....we have sailed it!

Hubby ... DIAMOND (every ship except the Carnivale)
Me ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale)
20 year old son ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale...he is the only DOUBLE Milestone under the age of 21)
24 year old son ... DIAMOND
Old August 19th, 2007, 05:52 PM
Yeoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhp
Our 2 boys did find this interesting when we went to Israel for a couple of weeks in 2000.

We walked into a Pizza Hut and they wanted to order a Pepperoni and cheese pizza. I had to explain to them that this wasn't going to happen.
So they got a cheese pizza. It was good!!
HAHA. I love how they have a Pizza Hut in Israel.

Future Cruises!
NONE!!

Past Cruises!
Carnival Ecstasy
Carnival Elation

Carnival (many times)
Celebrity

Old August 19th, 2007, 05:52 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Just as add on to this Kosher meal topic.

My husbands pal was in the airport waiting for his flight. They asked for someone to be bumped, and the compensation was good. He volunteered to be bumped, but, was refused because he had requested a kosher meal on the flight.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old August 19th, 2007, 05:55 PM
Yeoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip
Just as add on to this Kosher meal topic.

My husbands pal was in the airport waiting for his flight. They asked for someone to be bumped, and the compensation was good. He volunteered to be bumped, but, was refused because he had requested a kosher meal on the flight.
What a bummer!

Future Cruises!
NONE!!

Past Cruises!
Carnival Ecstasy
Carnival Elation

Carnival (many times)
Celebrity

Old August 19th, 2007, 09:18 PM
Admiral

From the Carnival website (as you already know):

Quote:
Carnival Cruise Lines can provide our guests with the following special dietary needs: Vegetarian, Low-Cholesterol, Low-Fat, Low-Carbohydrates, Low-Sugar, Gluten Free and Bland.

Kosher meals, Baby foods and formulas are not available onboard.
Greg, if your brother will eat a salad onboard (who knows what was on that plate before , I'm "assuming" he's not Glatt Kosher) a request for vegetarian meals should work.

I, too, find it very surprising that Carnival doesn't offer Kosher food, when all the other major lines offer it. It's not like Kosher food is that different from "regular" food .

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old August 20th, 2007, 02:23 AM
Yeoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fern
From the Carnival website (as you already know):

Quote:
Carnival Cruise Lines can provide our guests with the following special dietary needs: Vegetarian, Low-Cholesterol, Low-Fat, Low-Carbohydrates, Low-Sugar, Gluten Free and Bland.

Kosher meals, Baby foods and formulas are not available onboard.
Greg, if your brother will eat a salad onboard (who knows what was on that plate before , I'm "assuming" he's not Glatt Kosher) a request for vegetarian meals should work.

I, too, find it very surprising that Carnival doesn't offer Kosher food, when all the other major lines offer it. It's not like Kosher food is that different from "regular" food .
Actually, he is Glatt Kosher. And the food/salads are served on paper plates.

Future Cruises!
NONE!!

Past Cruises!
Carnival Ecstasy
Carnival Elation

Carnival (many times)
Celebrity

Old August 20th, 2007, 04:53 AM
Admiral

:o

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old August 20th, 2007, 10:07 AM
Captain

Actually with ships sailing out of NYC and Miami you would think that there would be some demand for Kosher food on Carnival. However the logistics of keeping Kosher (I.E Seperate dishes meat & milk etc) probably precludes the same gourmet touch that most others are used to when sailing. I would think though as an extention of their vegatarian menu that they could offer something better then frozen food.
RCI Monarch of The Seas 1998
Ecstasy 2000
Carnival Miracle 9/24/07
Upcoming Fascination 11/5/09
Old August 20th, 2007, 07:20 PM
Beginner

We don't keep kosher but know a couple who does and took a cruise, obviously not Carnival. This couple would not eat salad that was prepared in a non-kosher kitchen. It is tricky because even if the meals were frozen, they could not be heated in a microwave that hadn't been ritually prepared for kosher food. They said it was OK, I guess cruising wasn't their thing, but what I wondered was about the atmosphere/entertainment, etc. Orthodox aren't supposed to look at women who aren't modestly dressed (bikinis???), aren't supposed to hear music by women or watch dancing (pool deck??), or dance together even if married. So I asked them if it was just the food or if the activities were changed on their ship too. They said there were special activities but they could also participate in the regular activities as well. To me I'd want an entire kosher cruise where I'd feel comfortable with the food and all else. I think the organization that puts on the cruises is koshercruises.com or something like that. Interesting thread!
Old August 20th, 2007, 09:36 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fern

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg
Actually, he is Glatt Kosher. And the food/salads are served on paper plates.
Okay, that makes sense. I'd still try to sail on a cruise line that's more "Kosher friendly" if it were important to me.

From what I've read and heard there are a lot of people who eat Kosher foods who are not Jewish. I still find it strange that Carnival doesn't offer Kosher foods .

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old August 20th, 2007, 11:16 PM
Yeoman

As for my brother. He is religious, but he partys, drinks, does almost everything-- as long as it's not on Shabbos (Friday Night-Saturday Night). He is willing to eat lettuce/salad food as long as they don't add anything "traif" -- unkosher to it.

Many Orthodox Jews have their limits on religion.

Future Cruises!
NONE!!

Past Cruises!
Carnival Ecstasy
Carnival Elation

Carnival (many times)
Celebrity