Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 19th, 2007, 05:22 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Pre cruise stay in New Orleans

Almost last minutes, but we are now booked on the Fantasy out of New Orleans this October. We took this same cruise last May with our daughter and had a great time.
We are considering taking the Amtrak into New Orleans the day before. Has anyone done this? Or any locals have suggestions for convienent places to stay. The train station is right next to the Superdome and just a few blocks from the Fantasy's terminal.
Suggestions welcomed.
Sponsored Links
Old August 19th, 2007, 05:51 PM
Admiral

I have taken the Amtrak to NOLA back in the 90's. It was a great trip and had no problems. It's a little more than a few blocks to the cruise terminal, and you can count on at least a 15-25 minute walk, but NOLA is a great place to take a cab in those instances. When we were there in March we got a nice room at the Marriott Convention Center which really is just a few blocks from the cruise port. I liked the hotel a lot. It's close to everything we were interested in. Riverwalk, aquarium, Cafe Du Monde etc...

Read and post cruise reviews
Old August 20th, 2007, 08:18 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Pre cruise stay in New Orleans

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlschef
Almost last minutes, but we are now booked on the Fantasy out of New Orleans this October. We took this same cruise last May with our daughter and had a great time.
We are considering taking the Amtrak into New Orleans the day before. Has anyone done this? Or any locals have suggestions for convienent places to stay. The train station is right next to the Superdome and just a few blocks from the Fantasy's terminal.
Suggestions welcomed.
When in October are you booked? We will be on the Fantasy again 10/25.
I too think The Marriot would be a good choice.
Old August 20th, 2007, 09:41 PM
Admiral

Oh yes I forgot to mention that I was able to book it on Priceline and got a steal on it, if I recall correctly around $45.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old August 21st, 2007, 10:45 AM
First Mate

I was there a couple of months back for a weekend getaway, and we stayed at the Chateua Sonesta. I wanted something that was close but not in the middle of Bourbon St., and was close to the French Quarter/Market and the Superdome. The Chateau Sonesta was perfect! It was literally steps away from Bourbon St., but the party part was further down so there was no noise. Walking to the Market was no problem at all, and though we took a taxi to our concert (The Police), we walked back and it was a nice walk - not too far.

I thought it was perfectly placed for all we had planned. While I was at the Market I saw the Fantasy docked. I was jealous!
Old August 21st, 2007, 10:49 AM
First Mate

I have also stayed at Hotel Provencial. I don't know if you are interested in staying deep into the French Quarter, but if you are, I recommend this hotel as well. Very old but nicely kept. They have two pools - one really large one, but don't miss the small little courtyard pool by the restaurant (also good). It is gorgeous at night, surrounded by lush vegetation - very romantic. You really feel like you are in Old New Orleans at this place.
Old August 21st, 2007, 10:42 PM
Cruise Maniac

Thanks for all the suggestions and info. We are booked for Oct 6th. I'll try to do a train and cruise review when we get back.