Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 20th, 2007, 12:39 PM
Admiral

Default cozumel - port (shopping/restaurants/beaches)

just curious for those who have cruised Fascination to Cozumel, where goes it dock (or we tender to shore?) and are there a lot of restaurants/shopping/beach right there so I can skip a Carnival excursion?

I wanted to go to Playa Mia Grand Beach Park for the exclusive resort there..... can anyone get in for a day pass as well?

taxi's easily accessible both ways?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old August 20th, 2007, 01:05 PM
First Mate

In a word, yes.
You will dock, if Dean does not destry the pier! There are many shops right off the pier and there is shopping within 100 yards on the main road. You can book direct with Playa Mia through thier website. Taxi's will not be a problem.
Old August 20th, 2007, 01:11 PM
Passenger

I really hated Cozumel on my last cruise because shopping is such a pain there. Be prepared to be haggled every step of the way by the string of people that stand in the shop doorways trying to lure or pull (literally) you into their store.
After being in Grand Cayman and experiencing a "no-haggle" day of shopping, I was extremely disappointed in Cozumel.
Old August 20th, 2007, 01:11 PM
Captain

As I recall there were no problems getting downtown by Taxi. I do however remember stumbling out of Taxi last time I was there (too much Carlos & Charlies )
RCI Monarch of The Seas 1998
Ecstasy 2000
Carnival Miracle 9/24/07
Upcoming Fascination 11/5/09
Old August 20th, 2007, 04:27 PM
Admiral

Michelle, just walk thru the shops in Cozumel to the taxi stand....lots of taxis, all fares will be posted on a big board near the taxi stand (all controlled prices so there is no guesswork or bargaining). We hopped in a taxi to Playa Mia Beach and paid the entrance fee upon arrival (you don't need a reservation). When we were ready to return to the ship, there were lots of taxis waiting to return people to the pier. We went to Cozumel last year and the pier was still under repair and only one ship was able to dock (which was ours, the Glory). There were two other ships anchored offshore that had to tender people in. Perhaps the pier is finished now and more ships can dock.
Old August 20th, 2007, 07:57 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLovin
I really hated Cozumel on my last cruise because shopping is such a pain there. Be prepared to be haggled every step of the way by the string of people that stand in the shop doorways trying to lure or pull (literally) you into their store.
After being in Grand Cayman and experiencing a "no-haggle" day of shopping, I was extremely disappointed in Cozumel.
Thanks, I'll keep this in mind. I'm pretty good at ignoringpushy sales clerks so I'm sure I'll be okay. I will probably do the Playa Mia Beach excursion as it includes a buffet lunch, and perhaps hit some stores before get back on the ship.
Old August 20th, 2007, 07:57 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLovin
Thanks, I'll keep this in mind. I'm pretty good at ignoringpushy sales clerks so I'm sure I'll be okay. I will probably do the Playa Mia Beach excursion as it includes a buffet lunch, and perhaps hit some stores before get back on the ship.