Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 20th, 2007, 08:16 PM
Passenger

Default Dean to strike Costa Maya

We were just in Costa Maya week before last on the Valor. It now appears that Hurricane Dean will hit it square sometime tonight. Our prayers go out to the people who have evacuated Mahahual and hope for their safety.

Hakmat
Sponsored Links
Old August 20th, 2007, 10:07 PM
First Mate

Default COSTA MAYA

WE are suppose to go there in NOV 2007, if anything is left.say a few prayers for the people in the carribbean
Old August 20th, 2007, 10:36 PM
Admiral

Costa Maya is one of my favorite ports. Mahajual is a very small village, right on the beach. I just don't see how it can handle the winds that Hurricane Dean is going to bring.
Mariner of the Seas

HAL Statendam Alaska Cruise Tour - 09/09/12; Disney Magic - 12/01/12; Allure of the Seas - 05/26/13
Old August 20th, 2007, 11:17 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to cherylroy

We were supposed to go to Costa Maya next month - and in January. Knowing first hand from Katrina and Rita, my heart and prayers go out to them and their safety.
Old August 21st, 2007, 12:03 AM
Admiral

Same here. I'm from Mississippi which suffered from Katrina, so I can not only sympothise I can empathize.
A category 5 hurricane will be bad, but maybe our Mexican friends will be protected by God. The resorts can be rebuilt but human life is irreplaceable. Let's just hope that there is an effective evacuation plan.

Read and post cruise reviews

/ticker.png">
Old August 21st, 2007, 12:09 AM
Admiral

Amen! I hope you were not affected to harshly by Katrina???
Old August 21st, 2007, 12:54 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherylroy
Amen! I hope you were not affected to harshly by Katrina???
Same to ya'll in that you weren't effected too badly. I had two trees on my home, but my family was fine, thanks to the almighty.
At the time I was called to active duty and was in South Carolina preparing for the Middle East war. The worst part of me was not knowing if everyone was OK. There were no phone calls into or out of my home town. it was scary, but worked out fine. when I was able to come home in January my parents had the apartment fixed( power of attorney + insurance money).

/ticker.png">
Old August 21st, 2007, 04:25 AM
Admiral

Dean move to another area!!

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old August 21st, 2007, 06:28 AM
Admiral

I'm glad all was ok............all we can do now is CRUISE to forget the real worlds!!!
Old August 21st, 2007, 09:59 AM
Cruise Maniac

I would think the docks over there would be done for just as the docks at Cozumel got trashed after Wilma.
Old August 21st, 2007, 10:58 AM
Yeoman

Looks like the damage is pretty bad. The center struck near Costa Maya and Majahual. Still have been unable to find any confirmation on the damage or survivors....
Old August 21st, 2007, 03:49 PM
Cruise Maniac

Costa Maya was my family's favorite port call when we were there in June on the Legend. Thoughts and prayers to all who have faced or have yet to face this hurricane.
Old August 21st, 2007, 04:26 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by adias.angel
Looks like the damage is pretty bad. The center struck near Costa Maya and Majahual. Still have been unable to find any confirmation on the damage or survivors....
One of the reports on the Weather Channel said that everybody was evacuated from the area, before the storm made landfall. I pray they were far enough away to be safe. My prayers are with them as they try to put their lives back together.
Mariner of the Seas

HAL Statendam Alaska Cruise Tour - 09/09/12; Disney Magic - 12/01/12; Allure of the Seas - 05/26/13
Old August 21st, 2007, 06:02 PM
Admiral

Island Jim emailed me this afternoon. They faired very well in Cozumel.
They lost power about 4:15AM (but not the whole island)

Canary has relatives outside of Costa Maya and she will be sending an update as soon as she gets one.

We were in Costa Maya on Monday and joined the "hole in the fence" gang by going to Chac- Chi. We are headed back in December (I hope).

The good news (if there is any good news with a Cat 5) is that it did not sit and spin on top of CM like Wilma did not Cozumel. Dean moved on through and HOPEFULLY that saved the dock.

Paradise Beach in Cozumel was up and running in 3 weeks after Wilma.
It was a mess.

We just hope there was no loss of life. The rest we can help them rebuild with our business!!!

Hubby grew up in Long Beach, Ms 2 blocks from the beach. They stayed in their home through Camille. His Mom and Dad had just sold their family home 1 year before Katrina and moved closer to other family since they are in their 70's. We were blessed that they no longer lived there because since they went through Camille, we know they would have stayed for Katrina. The outcome would not have been good.

If it is Carnival and it floats....we have sailed it!

Hubby ... DIAMOND (every ship except the Carnivale)
Me ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale)
20 year old son ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale...he is the only DOUBLE Milestone under the age of 21)
24 year old son ... DIAMOND
Old August 21st, 2007, 06:07 PM
Cruise Maniac

I loved this little port and was looking forward to returning this December. My prayers are with everyone there. I dread seeing what Dean did to this little gem. God bless and be with you all!
Old August 21st, 2007, 07:34 PM
Admiral

I found these pictures of Majahual:

http://news.search.yahoo.com/search/...=&fr=&c=images

Sorry folks you will have to copy and paste...I can't ever get my links to work on here.

20 year old son ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale...he is the only DOUBLE Milestone under the age of 21)
Old August 22nd, 2007, 10:47 AM
Yeoman

It looks like 1/2 the dock and most of the town at MAJAHUAL was torn away by dean. Here is the only story I could find.

http://www.thestar.com/News/World/article/248631
Quote:
Dean pounds Mayan villages GREGORY BULL/AP

MAJAHUAL, Mexico—Hurricane Dean swept across the Yucatan Peninsula yesterday, toppling trees, power lines and houses as it bore down on the heart of Mexico’s oil industry. Glitzy resorts on the Mayan Riviera were spared, but vulnerable Mayan villages were exposed to the full fury of the intense storm.

President Felipe Calderon said no deaths were immediately reported in Mexico, after Dean killed 13 people in the Caribbean. But driving rain, poor communications and impassable roads made it difficult to determine how isolated Mayan communities fared in the sparsely populated jungle where Dean made landfall as a ferocious Category 5 hurricane.

“It wasn’t minutes of terror. It was hours,? said Catharine Morales, 30, a native of Montreal, who has lived in Majahual for a year. “The walls felt like they were going to explode.?

One of a handful people to ignore military orders to evacuate, she weathered the storm in her new brick-walled house with her husband and 7-month-old baby. Winds of 250 km/h — with gusts of 320 km/h, faster than the takeoff speed of many passenger jets — blew out windows and pulled pieces from their roof.

Hundreds of homes were collapsed in Majahual when Dean’s eye passed almost directly overhead, crumpling steel girders, splintering wooden structures and washing away about half of the immense concrete dock that transformed the sleepy fishing village into Mexico’s second-busiest cruise ship destination on the peninsula. The storm surge covered almost the entire town in waist-deep sea water.

Dean weakened over land but was expected to strengthen as its eye moved over the Bay of Campeche, home to more than 100 oil platforms and three major oil exporting ports. The sprawling, westward storm was projected to slam into the mainland this afternoon with renewed force near Laguna Verde, Mexico’s only nuclear power plant.

“We often see that when a storm weakens, people let down their guard completely. You shouldn’t do that,? said Jamie Rhome at the U.S. National Hurricane Center. “This storm probably won’t become a Category 5 again, but it will still be powerful.?

While 50,000 tourists were safely evacuated from resorts like Playa del Carmen and Cancun on the Yucatan Peninsula, many poor Indians closer to the storm’s direct path refused military orders to leave their homes, according to Gen. Alfonso Garcia, who was running shelters in Felipe Carrillo Puerto, 100 kilometres northwest of Majahual.

Troops evacuated more than 250 small communities, and 8,000 people took refuge in 500 shelters, said Jorge Acevedo, a Quintana Roo state spokesperson. Others turned away soldiers with machetes and refused to leave, but some of them changed their minds when the winds and rain intensified, he said.

Little was known about the thousands who rode out the storm in x low-lying communities of stick huts.

“I’m really worried the hurricane passed over the Mayan communities, which are the poorest on the Yucatan Peninsula,? Calderon said before leaving Canada on a flight to Chetumal to assess the damage.

Mexican officials said they were making slow progress down nearly impassable unpaved roads to reach these places. In less isolated towns, people emerged to survey toppled trees and downed power lines crisscrossing flooded streets.

“If only the government would lend us a hand,? said Georgina Hernandez, 59, whose three children all lost their homes in the town of Los Limones.

Sirens wailed for hours as the storm battered Chetumal, hurling billboards down streets. The Federal Electricity Commission said 90,000 customers remained without power by midday.

Dean’s path takes it directly through the Cantarell oil field, Mexico’s most productive. The entire field’s operations were shut down yesterday just ahead of the storm, reducing daily production by 2.7 million barrels of oil.

Insured losses from the storm are likely to range between $750 million and $1.5 billion (all figures U.S.), according to Risk Management Solutions, which calculates hurricane damage for the insurance industry.Mexico’s National Anthropology and History Institute said no damage was reported at any of the archaeological sites in the states of Quintana Roo and Yucatan. Officials also closed all sites in Campeche and Veracruz as Dean approached.

Heavy rain also drenched neighbouring Belize, a former British colony that is home to some 250,000 people and a famous barrier reef. Sugar-cane fields were flattened in the north of the country but there were no deaths or major injuries reported.

Electricity was out to most of Belize.

“Frankly, it was less severe than we expected. We’re very happy that the damage has been contained. We know how to organize for hurricanes and there are more houses now built to withstand these forceful winds,? said Robert Leslie, the Belize government’s cabinet secretary.

Category 5 hurricanes are rare but there were four in 2005, including Katrina, which devastated New Orleans. Hurricane Wilma two years ago washed away whole beaches in Mexico, killing seven people and causing $2.6 billion (U.S.) worth of damage.

The deadliest storm to hit Latin America in modern times was 1998’s Hurricane Mitch, which killed nearly 11,000 people and left more than 8,000 missing, most in Honduras and Nicaragua.
Between this news acticle and the story I fear that was are going to start to hear a death toll. [/url]
Old August 22nd, 2007, 11:40 AM
Admiral

Here is another article:

Costa Maya news from seatrader.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Costa Maya estimates 6- to 8-month closure
22/8/2007
Puerto Costa Maya estimates a six- to eight-month closure due to damage suffered from the direct hit by Hurricane Dean, Seatrade Insider has learned.
‘We believe more than 50% of the pier is gone. It’s a multimillion-dollar loss,’ port spokesman Cesar Lizarraga said.

An assessment of facilities is under way and more information will be provided soon. No casualties were reported in the area as of yesterday, but there was heavy damage to the fishing village of Majahual and the town of Bacalar.

‘We will rebuild,’ Lizarraga told Seatrade Insider. ‘The region is counting on us.’ The Hamui family, chief investors in Puerto Costa Maya, will soon put forward their recovery plan.

Mexican President Felipe Calderón overnighted in Chetumal, 60 miles south of Puerto Costa Maya, and is scheduled to inspect the port and surrounding area today.

Lizarraga is starting to call on cruise lines in South Florida to discuss the future. He anticipates operators will redeploy ships to Western Caribbean ports such as Roatán and Belize while Costa Maya is rebuilding

Old August 22nd, 2007, 12:50 PM
Captain

The Web Cam is back up in Cozumel but it sure looks lonely there today.

Sherri has not yet posted an update, but I am sure she will soon.

http://www.cozumelinsider.com/Webcam