Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 20th, 2007, 11:22 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to cherylroy
Default very stupid hurricane question - dont laugh!

OK - don't laugh - but I LOVE snorkeling - and am thinking of all those beautiful fish and corals! Does anyone know how deep hurricanes churn up things? I just can't picture these size hurricanes in the beautiful waters of the carribbean and know its deep out there - but wonder how deep that churning goes to ruin things. I remember when a hurricane hit in cozumel - it moved that huge statue (so I heard) that was under the water. Then again - that wasn't that deep. Just a general question....
Old August 21st, 2007, 12:13 AM
Admiral

That's not a stupid question. It's actually a very good question in fact. In 1969 Hurricane Camile altered the waters along the Gulf Coast, or so I'm told. Prior to 1969 Ship Island was one island, then it became 2 islands. Its size was later reduced by Katrina. These hurricanes are bad news. Hopefully Dean won't ruin the Mexican resorts forever.

Read and post cruise reviews

/ticker.png">
Old August 21st, 2007, 12:14 AM
Cruise Maniac

I believe it might disturb things. The wind wont effect anything. It will depend on the size and frequency of the Waves. Just a guess.

T
Old August 21st, 2007, 12:21 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to cherylroy

I know - I just think of the poor little fishies and where they swim to??? I remember Camille - it was horrible! I was only 10 at the time, but remember seeing clothes in trees, etc etc etc. My dad went to Mississippi as a volunteer with the red cross and came home sooner than expected because he couldn't handle it. He picked up a little girl still holding her baby doll and it got the best of him. It was a huge stress on him - and everyone! I'll never forget that!
Old August 21st, 2007, 12:39 AM
Admiral

We in Mississippi, Louisiana, and the rest of the Gulf Coast can empathize with the people of Mexico at this time. My home was badly damaged by Katrina, but my family and friends were all OK. That was all that was important. It's my prayer that none will die in Mexico.
I was in Costa Maya back in May and I think there is hope. There didn't seem to be a lot of people living along the coast, so hopefully evactation wasn't so difficult. Of course I didn't go into the town of Majahual.

/ticker.png">
Old August 21st, 2007, 12:56 AM
Captain

i know those poor people havent had a chance to recover from wilma!

I'm Cheryl, the only thing i really wanted to do in Cozumel was snorkle. I can live with out it, but do you think in 20 days that it will be clear enough to enjoy it, or should we just ...well, i dunno...do something else, like stay on the boat??

Amazing how the hurricane kinda scooted away from the caymans at the last second, maybe God will intervene a little on mexico
Old August 21st, 2007, 01:12 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurseypoo5
i know those poor people havent had a chance to recover from wilma!

I'm Cheryl, the only thing i really wanted to do in Cozumel was snorkle. I can live with out it, but do you think in 20 days that it will be clear enough to enjoy it, or should we just ...well, i dunno...do something else, like stay on the boat??

Amazing how the hurricane kinda scooted away from the caymans at the last second, maybe God will intervene a little on mexico
Hope you are right, Cheryl. Maybe the storm will simply scoot away from the people down there.
Can't tell you about snorkeling, but if an area suffers a direct hit, it will likely take time for the ecology to recover. Maybe you can plan your snorkel at another port ? Good luck 8)

/ticker.png">
Old August 21st, 2007, 03:22 AM
Captain

kinda do have it planned like that, we still hope to do the stingray thing, but who knows, maybe they got washed over to cuba...

jamaica never seemed to have decent snorkling even when there wasnt weather, eco destruction i heard. Atleast not in ocho rios.

I wanted to visit i kjnow i'll spell it totally wrong but chakkanabra? i know i butchered it

i'm sure people going this weekend or next will fill us in on the damage, i just hope no more lives are lost, so sad about taht young boy being drug out to sea in jamaica!
Old August 21st, 2007, 10:26 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: very stupid hurricane question - dont laugh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherylroy
OK - don't laugh - but I LOVE snorkeling - and am thinking of all those beautiful fish and corals! Does anyone know how deep hurricanes churn up things? I just can't picture these size hurricanes in the beautiful waters of the carribbean and know its deep out there - but wonder how deep that churning goes to ruin things. I remember when a hurricane hit in cozumel - it moved that huge statue (so I heard) that was under the water. Then again - that wasn't that deep. Just a general question....
The Vis will be pretty bad as everything will be stired up for at least few months. If the waters are merky, I would stay out of them as this is when sharks get confused and will take a bite at anything.

Fred
Old August 21st, 2007, 10:30 AM
First Mate

Unfortunately I don't know if we will be getting any reports from cruisers this week from the Caymans or Cozumel. I know no one went to Jamaica, but I'm pretty sure they all got diverted at the last minute from the Caymans and Coz.

I think I will email Capt. Marvins late next week to ask about the snorkle conditions because we sail off. Other ships doing a smaller sailing might come back from Coz before we leave. Hopefully we will get to hear about Chankanaab because that is what we planned on doing, too - snorkeling there.
Old August 21st, 2007, 12:12 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Port Question - Cozumel/Costa Maya

First & formost - my prayers are with the people in the areas hit by Dean and pray for their safety...I am located 4 hours north of New Orleans and know what the destruction was there & how devoted people are to rebuilding....what a shame as these people were still trying to recover from Wilma.

Carnival website yesterday listed the sailings that left 8-20 from NO & Gal were still planning on visiting Cozumel....what do you think the odds of that will be? We sail in 18 days to Cozumel & Costa Maya...surely Carnival will not take us to such a destructed area...any speculations? I know/saw that the sailing yesterday from NO was going to Key West then to Cozumel....any help would be appreciated, anyone ever been in a situation like this for a post storm cruise?

Conquest, September, 2009
Fantasy, July, 2009
Fantasy, July, 2008
Fantasy, June, 2008
Fantasy, September, 2007
Ecstasy, September, 2006
Old August 21st, 2007, 12:17 PM
Yeoman

Default Re: Port Question - Cozumel/Costa Maya

Quote:
Originally Posted by CajunCruiser
First & formost - my prayers are with the people in the areas hit by Dean and pray for their safety...I am located 4 hours north of New Orleans and know what the destruction was there & how devoted people are to rebuilding....what a shame as these people were still trying to recover from Wilma.

Carnival website yesterday listed the sailings that left 8-20 from NO & Gal were still planning on visiting Cozumel....what do you think the odds of that will be? We sail in 18 days to Cozumel & Costa Maya...surely Carnival will not take us to such a destructed area...any speculations? I know/saw that the sailing yesterday from NO was going to Key West then to Cozumel....any help would be appreciated, anyone ever been in a situation like this for a post storm cruise?
You probably won't be getting to Costa Maya as this is where the eye of dean hit at a cat 5 speed. There probably isn't a dock left....
Old August 21st, 2007, 12:59 PM
First Mate

Cherylroy,

Storm surges and rough wave action can definitely damage and sometimes destroy reefs. Coral is very fragile and can break off easily. The sponges and sea fans can also be broken or destroyed. Sometimes the broken fragments can start growing again. But coral grows very slowly. Hurricanes can also "cleanse" the reef of algae. The coral will look like it has been bleached. Sometimes during a storm sand can cover a reef. Debris that have been swept into the ocean during the storm can also contribute to reef damage. My husband and I began snorkeling and scuba diving at Chankanaab Lagoon back in the early 1980's before it was converted to a National Marine Park. The reef has changed since we have been going there. We were very happy when the Mexican Government decided to make Chankanaab a protected area. It is one of my favorite places in Cozumel. In the Cayman Islands we dove a shipwreck one year (the name escapes me at the moment), and several years later we dove it again and a hurricane had broken the vessel apart. I have read that the sediment settles fairly quickly after a hurricane has passed. You might want to do some research on that. I have heard other divers say that the visibility is fairly good after a few weeks. Some divers believe you can see larger and more unusual fish right before and after a hurricane. Anyway, I am hoping for the best for all the people in those areas.

Sherrie
Ecstasy 12/12/09,Conquest 4/12/09, Conquest 4/19/09,Conquest 2/09, Pride 10/08, Ecstasy 1/08, Miracle 3/08, Miracle 4/08, Miracle 5/06, Conquest 12/08, Conquest 9/07, Conquest 4/07, Conquest 8/03, Destiny 5/05, Adv of Seas 5/05, Elation 12/04, Jubilee 4/03, Sensation 6/00, Celebration 5/93, Celebration 6/92,Holiday 5/92, Tropical 3/90, NCL--Windward, Skyward, Sunward
Old August 21st, 2007, 01:30 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by CajunCruiser

I have seen some Cozumel Chat boards this a.m. where people have been in contact with those in Cozumel. They are saying right now the weather is fine--light winds and mild rain. Some power outages but not island wide. Several said they were actually able to sleep through Dean. The island was prepared. It seems like Cozumel was spared. However, it doesn't sound so good for those in Costa Maya. Based on what the Cozumel people were reporting on the chat boards, the ships will stop in Cozumel this week.
Ecstasy 12/12/09,Conquest 4/12/09, Conquest 4/19/09,Conquest 2/09, Pride 10/08, Ecstasy 1/08, Miracle 3/08, Miracle 4/08, Miracle 5/06, Conquest 12/08, Conquest 9/07, Conquest 4/07, Conquest 8/03, Destiny 5/05, Adv of Seas 5/05, Elation 12/04, Jubilee 4/03, Sensation 6/00, Celebration 5/93, Celebration 6/92,Holiday 5/92, Tropical 3/90, NCL--Windward, Skyward, Sunward
Old August 21st, 2007, 03:08 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: very stupid hurricane question - dont laugh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherylroy
I was wondering the same thing although I'll take it a little more personal. I was hoping that the Stingray City at Grand Cayman fared well because of a cute, big stingray named "Jennifer" that we got to hold and even kiss, yes, kiss because it was "good luck" if you did, on our excursion there in June. I'm hoping that they sense these things and go into deeper and safer waters.
But mainly, I hope the loss of human life will be minimal and the damage not as severe as predicted.
Old August 21st, 2007, 03:42 PM
Passenger

Hurricanes and the weather/effects that come with them can do a great deal of damage to reefs. The wave movement and debris in the water can actually break the reef up. Also it can stir up the sand quite a bit and cover and possibly kill the coral that it doesn’t break up. I suggest doing a google search for “hurricane reef damage? or “hurricane reef damage photos?.
Old August 21st, 2007, 07:12 PM
Cruise Maniac

I agree on the reef damage and it concerns me the amount of damage that will be done to the barrier reef of the coast of belize. I hope it survived.

09/29/07 Disney Magic
2005 Norwegian Sea
2004 Carnival Inspiration
Old August 22nd, 2007, 03:17 AM
Captain

I just have to believe that the oceans rejuvinate when things like this happen and i have to wonder if its not actually a "cleansing" for the ocean. Not saying i want anything to disappear, but the oceans have been experiencing things like this (and worse) since time began...its still there and so beautiful!

I did speak to the stingray capt Marvin and he said very little damage and stingrays are still there and hungry
Old August 22nd, 2007, 04:49 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurseypoo5

I wanted to visit i kjnow i'll spell it totally wrong but chakkanabra? i know i butchered it

Are you referring to the Mayan ruins near Costa Maya? In May I really enjoyed Kohunlich.

/ticker.png">
Old August 22nd, 2007, 03:59 PM
First Mate

Thanks for calling, Nurseypoo! That's good news.