Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 22nd, 2007, 09:45 PM
Familiar Face

Send a message via MSN to purpledevilduck
Default Costa Maya

Does anyone know what if any port Carnival is going to be using while Costa Maya is out of service? I am going on the Carnival Valor that is sailing from Miami on Sept 30th and just trying to see if anyone know of any updates.
Carnival Valor Sept/Oct 2007
Carnival Freedom Jan 2010
Carnival Liberty Feb 2013

Sponsored Links
Old August 22nd, 2007, 10:07 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to cherylroy

nope, but I"m about to check around as we leave in about 3 weeks. I was sooooo looking forward to that tall delicious drink in Costa Maya! ...I bet its the florida keys.
Old August 23rd, 2007, 08:54 AM
Admiral

can't find anything - and TA doesn't know yet however my personal guess only is Calica or the Keys.
Old August 23rd, 2007, 12:05 PM
Beginner

Default Happy Crusin'

[url=http://www.cruiseclocks.com/]Free Cruise Clocks[/u

Cozumel for my birthday can't wait.......
Old August 23rd, 2007, 12:35 PM
Yeoman

Default Re: Costa maya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaycee1996
This is all I could find out,hopefully they will have something soon I will not be going there until April 2008.If I can find out anything I will post it on here for all of you that are going to be cruising soon.
It's going to be a minimum of 6 months to rebuild the dock. Some of the cruise lines are redoing itineraries for one full year out....
Old August 23rd, 2007, 03:17 PM
Cruise Maniac

Cherylroy,

All my pics and descriptions look like for nothing, I was getting excited for yall going there.
Old August 23rd, 2007, 04:02 PM
Passenger

Default Costa Maya Change

I just read on another message board numerous rumors. I leave on the Carnival Glory 9-08-07 in 16 days for the western Caribbean. We were suppose to go to Cozumel,Belize,Costa Maya, & Nassau. I read that the change could be Roatan instead of CM. Now someone who is getting ready to go sooner copied & pasted an email from Carnival that said They were now going to Cozumel,Key West, Progresso,& Nassau. I really don't wanna go somewhere I could just drive to.I haven't eaten since February. I'm running up & down this gravel road for 6 months now. Have had to do without for 6 months in order to have any cash for cruise,( Son & His wife gave this to me & Another lady for Christmas gift 06) I've gotten healthy & off of all my meds, lost 87 lbs., got a tan in this triple digit weather, rummaged clearance racks & cleaned out attic of old clothes dating back to the 80's..( ok some late 70's) to find stuff to wear...now I will fit on slide,I'm GOING SOMEWHERE..Grazing in the Buffet's, & down the slide I goooooooo!!!
Old August 23rd, 2007, 05:26 PM
Admiral

Portslug - I know.............but it will be back! I'll just have to book another cruise.
Old August 23rd, 2007, 10:20 PM
Captain

We will all miss Costa Maya in the coming months. It was one of the most beautiful little places and we loved Mahahaul. We definately plan to return as soon as possible after they have rebuilt.

I spoke directly to a Carnival agent tonight to see if they had any plans yet to how they would adjust the Holiday itinerary from Mobile while Costa Maya was down and she said that initially they are going to go to Progresso, but did not know yet what the regular schedule would be. I suggested that we would like to have two days in Cozumel to enjoy it at night. I also said that we would love to see the Holiday divert some of its' Mexican itineraries to Freeport & Key West. This would be good for Mobile cruisers, since we have to go Florida to get a cruise to the Bahamas.
Old August 23rd, 2007, 10:27 PM
Admiral

I agree with freeport and key west - however I would not like to stay 2 nights in Cozumel. To me cruising -------- is cruising and not docking overnight if at all possible.
Old August 23rd, 2007, 10:58 PM
Captain

I know what you mean but we were once ended up in Cozumel on the Sensation during Katrina. We had always sailed out of Cozumel in the late afternoon so had not seen it at night. It is so pretty with the lights and the music of the live Marachi bands, and the sight of the ship in the moonlight was unbelievable. Their is a sunset cruise on the Carnival site but we have never been able to experience it because of the early departure from Cozumel.
Old August 23rd, 2007, 11:00 PM
Admiral

thats true -- and they say Xcaret is pretty at night too...
Old August 23rd, 2007, 11:03 PM
Captain

I just don't think I would really care about Calica because everyone we have talked to that went there, said there was not much to do. We diverted to Progresso due to a storm in 2005 and, unless they have done a lot to improve it since then, I would probably not even leave the ship to see it. If anything, I would probably book an excursion to Meridia from the Port of Progresso.
Old August 23rd, 2007, 11:06 PM
Admiral

I've never been to calica --- so can't comment on that one. Haven't been to the keys either, but would rather say in the carribbean far away!
Old August 23rd, 2007, 11:10 PM
Captain

You know, we can speculate and wish all we want can't we? But when it comes down to is, I guess we will just go wherever the big ship takes us

After all any day on a cruise ship is better than a day in the office in my book.
Old August 23rd, 2007, 11:35 PM
Admiral

DITTO!!!!!
Old August 24th, 2007, 12:16 AM
Admiral

Maybe they will allow tendering after a few months.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old August 24th, 2007, 06:41 AM
Admiral

Maybe - but it is such a small place, I bet they have to rebuild everything for the tourist - and they depend on the tourist for the $$ to do that I guess. Time will tell.
Old August 27th, 2007, 09:59 AM
Yeoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nothin but blue skies
I just don't think I would really care about Calica because everyone we have talked to that went there
Calica itself is just a gravel pit BUT just a couple miles and a few $ taxi ride later is Playa Del Carmen. Beautiful beaches and shopping
Old August 27th, 2007, 10:09 AM
Captain

Well we had made up our minds to just go and see Calica for ourselves. We have heard a lot of people say they did not like Costa Maya either and it is one of our favorite ports. But now, Carnival is saying that Progresso will be the replacement port for Costa Maya on the Holiday itinerary during its renovation.
Old August 27th, 2007, 01:22 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherylroy
I've never been to calica --- so can't comment on that one. Haven't been to the keys either, but would rather say in the carribbean far away!
Cherylroy,

If you do ever dock at Calica, take a cab to Playa del Carmen. It is a beautiful small city with a gorgeous beach area. Walk up 5th Avenue. It is closed off to traffic and is lined with shops and unique outdoor restaurants. Tulum is also near the Calica port (25 miles south of it), and consists of Mayan ruins on a cliff leading down to a beautiful beach. The scenery of Tulum and the beach is breathtaking! I really think you would love this port if you ever get the chance to visit it.

Libragirl
Old August 27th, 2007, 01:30 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libragirl
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherylroy
Cherylroy,

If you do ever dock at Calica, take a cab to Playa del Carmen. It is a beautiful small city with a gorgeous beach area. Walk up 5th Avenue. It is closed off to traffic and is lined with shops and unique outdoor restaurants. Tulum is also near the Calica port (25 miles south of it), and consists of Mayan ruins on a cliff leading down to a beautiful beach. The scenery of Tulum and the beach is breathtaking! I really think you would love this port if you ever get the chance to visit it.

Libragirl

Thanks - I will do that. We have just always booked the Cozumel/Costa Maya itinerary, but we might do that next time.
Old August 27th, 2007, 01:37 PM
Yeoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libragirl
Tulum is also near the Calica port (25 miles south of it), and consists of Mayan ruins on a cliff leading down to a beautiful beach. The scenery of Tulum and the beach is breathtaking! I really think you would love this port if you ever get the chance to visit it.Libragirl
Ditto on Tulum! My scrapbook is just full of beautiful pictures from there. Everyone keeps saying the scenery looks like its right out of a movie
Old August 27th, 2007, 09:48 PM
Passenger

We are going on our first cruise on 9/16 on the carnival valor. Though the excursions have been taken off for Costa Maya, no replacement has been named and after calling Carnival, they do not have a replacement for our trip as of yet. I can only speculate that they would probably go up to Cozumel instead and head back from there, but only a guess. We are on the western caribbean, Grand Cayman, Roatan, Belize, Costa Maya. If anyone has some updated info, please let me know. Looking forward to our first cruise (5yr anniversary). Maybe they will upgrade our cabin, not sure if they do that sort of thing on cruises.
Old August 28th, 2007, 12:19 AM
Admiral

Yes, I was actually going to go to Playa de Carmen and go to Xcaret when we docked in Cozumel -- but I hear we might be going to progresso and shortening our time in Cozumel - in which case, it might not be worth the $$ since it takes awhile to get there.