Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 23rd, 2007, 10:49 AM
Admiral

Default outlets on lido deck for laptop?

This my be a strange question but since I may bring my laptop on my Fascination cruise in June, I imagine myself sitting at a table or on a lounge chair and typing away (I'm a writer) without having to worry about my battery or having to buy and bring along a 2nd battery. Are there outlets out on the decks? I neglected to look on my last cruise.
Sponsored Links
Old August 23rd, 2007, 11:15 AM
Cruise Maniac

I don't remember seeing any either as they are tucked away, they have to have them on deck because they need to plug in their cleaning equipment etc. You can always sit at the bar on lido, Im sure you can plug into where their blender is connected.

Fred
Old August 23rd, 2007, 11:17 AM
Cruise Maniac

Are you serious? Besides the fact that I cannot imagine bringing a laptop on the lido deck and I need to remember different strokes for different folks.

Why dont you just make sure your laptop is fully charged and then take it to the lido deck. That way its more portable and you can move freely around and not inconveince others by having the cord someplace. This is exactly why laptops were designed for portability.

Carnival Spirit 11/07
Carnival Paradise 12/01
Carnival Elation 12/99
Old August 23rd, 2007, 11:18 AM
Admiral

no, actually I was thinking of sitting in a spot where I have a good view of the ocean..... if I bring my laptop I guess i'll just check things out during the sail away party. Rather than lay out on a lounge, I'd rather sit up gazing out at the ocean in a quiet area. Or to do that in the evening before I head to bed.
Old August 23rd, 2007, 11:20 AM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle1959
no, actually I was thinking of sitting in a spot where I have a good view of the ocean..... if I bring my laptop I guess i'll just check things out during the sail away party. Rather than lay out on a lounge, I'd rather sit up gazing out at the ocean in a quiet area. Or to do that in the evening before I head to bed.
Make sure you are sitting under a shade because with sun light it will be hard to look at your screen. I do my reviews Live from the ship because its all fresh and people can ask questions while Im onboard.

Fred
Old August 23rd, 2007, 11:24 AM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

Michelle,

I understand what you mean. I believe I would be to distracted on the Lido, so why not a lounge that has not yet opened for business. I don't know about your new ship, but on the Conquest the best place is in Alfred's bar. It is quiet, dark, and has big picture windows, that when the curtains are open, gives you a beautiful view. The bars do have outlets for the vacuum cleaners, so maybe the lido has the same.

I would just play it by ear, until you found the right place for you.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old August 23rd, 2007, 12:09 PM
Admiral

Luanne,

I agreed that many of the ship interior rooms are probably great places for someone to relax and gaze out while they type. Personally the internet cafe on Sensation felt like a cave, it was way too dark for me.

I really like to be outdoors with my laptop, i.e. on my apt. balcony on a nice cool spring or fall day...

I want to catch some rays while I'm at it...but perhaps I will just charge it up and do an hour or so of typing in a nice quiet spot in the front of the ship away from the noisy/wet lido area.

If I was to stay indoors, I'd most likely stay in my cabin, with CNN quietly on in the background (cnn junkie)
Old August 23rd, 2007, 01:00 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Michelle:

Outlets are few and far between on ships. Have at least two batteries and keep them charged.

The only place you may find an open outlet is in the Internet Cafe or a lounge.

If you do find one in the Lido or outside you will probably end up tripping someone.

Use the battery and keep you and your laptop mobile and enjoy the view.

Don't worry about what others think if you are using your computer. Many people sit and read books. Not too much difference and frankly it isn't bothering anyone.

Also: I've never seen anyone saving a deck chair with a laptop.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old August 23rd, 2007, 03:58 PM
Admiral

Another point to think about is that these ships are built in Europe! I'd be willing to bet that most, if not all of the vacuum cleaners, blenders and other electrical appliances are powered by 220V 50 cycle outlets. Yes, I know your laptop will probably run on 220, and probably even on 50 cycle current, but will it plug into the outlet? Probably not without a converter. I think it's best to make sure your battery is fully charged in the room, where they know us North Americans will need 110/60, and they've supplied the correct power, and plugs for us.

Ken
Old August 23rd, 2007, 04:52 PM
Admiral

if I found a 110 volt outlet outside, I'd certainly find a spot where I wouldn't hae the cord in a place where people might trip over it. I'd be too worried someone would step on or pull it and pull my laptop crawhing down to the deck. I was hoping to find a spot where the tables are, against the clear plastic/glas/plexiglass barrier so I could look out.

Again, perhaps I'll just charge it up and go hang out with it till it gets low and needs a recharge.
Old August 23rd, 2007, 05:03 PM
Admiral

I agree with Mike, keep it on battery.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.