Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 23rd, 2007, 08:54 PM
Passenger

Default Costa Maya appears to be off my itinerary

I'm leaving 9/22/07, Glory, Western Carribean. I just checked my itinerary on carnival.com and they have removed the active link for excursions. It was on there just yesterday. They have not replaced it with anything yet. I'm still 30 days out, so maybe they are keeping their options open. Confirming what everyone probably already knows, but this seems to be the first "official" sign I have seen.
Old August 23rd, 2007, 09:11 PM
Admiral

I believe Costa Maya is a wrap for the next 3-9 months. Carnival is probably trying to work out the logistics of adding another port to replace Costa Maya.

What a bummer.

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Freedom ('09), Imagination ('08), Victory ('08), Destiny ('08), RCCL Navigator ('08), RCCL Majesty ('08), Glory ('07), Liberty ('07), Fantasy ('07), Destiny ('06), NCL PofAm ('05), Fascination ('04), Victory ('04), Fascination ('04), RCCL Voyager ('03), Fantasy ('99)
Old August 23rd, 2007, 09:49 PM
Cruise Maniac

Here's a website that my daughter just emailed me. It has several long posts about what was happening during and after Dean. There are pictures of Costa Maya before Dean and then a newspaper picture of what the pier looks like now...only 6 sections remain.

http://stormcarib.com/reports/current/mexico.shtml
Old August 23rd, 2007, 10:14 PM
Captain

How sad for Costa Maya. We always went straight to the little fishing village of Mahahual and spent the day at their beach. Last year we took school supplies to them because the school was so pitiful. I wonder if they even have a school now. This was such a beautiful little place and we will certainly miss it on our October 2007 cruise.

I called Carnival direct tonight to ask if they had any idea of their plans for the Holiday cruises from Mobile to Cozumel & Costa Maya since Costa Maya was sos devastated. I was told that they are still making decisions, but that the cruise that was leaving Mobile this week would go to Cozumel and Progresso. She did not yet know if this would be a replacement for Costs Maya on all upcoming cruises for the next few months yet.

I really wish that they would just let us have Cozumel for two days in a row while Costa Maya is recovering, or would divert some of those sailings to Key West & Freeport.
Old August 23rd, 2007, 10:38 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to cherylroy

Thanks so much for the link - how sad! There is nothing left!
Old August 24th, 2007, 12:19 AM
Admiral

Costa Maya had some neat ruins also.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old August 24th, 2007, 06:40 AM
Admiral

I thought they said the ruins panned out ok? I hope so.
Old August 24th, 2007, 06:46 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to cutiecat Send a message via Yahoo to cutiecat

They said Costa Maya was to be out at least 6 months http://www.cruisemates.com/articles/...ex.cfm#story37

that's the link to the announcement
Old August 24th, 2007, 09:21 PM
Cruise Maniac

How sad it is I am starting to think this is my favorite place
Old August 24th, 2007, 09:24 PM
Admiral

Per Carnival's website, the 8-25-07 sailing of the Glory was as follows:
Keywest-Cozumel-Progresso-Nassau.

I'm sailing the Glory in a few weeks and called Carnival to see how long this particular itin. will be in place and was advised through December.
I reconfirmed with the Carnival rep. with whom I spoke that this was indeed to be the Glory's new western itin. and he reassured me it was. Per the rep the website should be reflecting this change in a couple of days.
So, if he knew what he was talking about, western Glory cruisers can scratch Belize and Costa Maya. I'm pretty happy with the changes.
Old August 24th, 2007, 10:31 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to ara0926

Hi AMH777 - We are both sailing on the Glory that week! I am getting excited. I am in serious need of a vacation after this week.

From what I have heard they are keeping the ports for our trip the same except changing Costa Maya for Progreso. But I could be wrong. Carnival has said that Belize should be back by the time we sail!
Carnival Glory 2010 St. John NB Canada
Carnival Legend 2009 Western Caribbean
Carnival Spirit 2009 Alaska
Carnival Splendor 2008 Exotic Eastern Caribbean
Carnival Sensation 2008 Nassau
Carnival Inspiration 2008 Cozumel
Carnival Glory 2007 Western Caribbean
Elation 2006 Eastern Caribbean
Old August 25th, 2007, 03:49 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ara0926
From what I have heard they are keeping the ports for our trip the same except changing Costa Maya for Progreso. But I could be wrong. Carnival has said that Belize should be back by the time we sail!
Actually Carnival is keeping the new itinerary that they are using for the Glory sailing today, for the next few months. (at least until December 15th sailing I believe.)

Someone on our sailing in two weeks got an e-mail from their PVP that the change was set until December.

I was just researching Key West and found the city's official website, with a cruise ship schedule and the Glory has been added every other Sunday, starting tomorrow and at least throughout September. (which is what I was concerned with.)
So apparently Carnival has contracted the pier with the city indefinitely.

Now I need to change my beach reservations in Cozumel, since it gets moved back a day in the itinerary.

So the new Western intinerary is now...

Depart Saturday
Key West Sunday noon - 7PM (happy hour on Duvall!!!!!!!)
Day at Sea Monday (formerly Cozumel)
Cozumel Tuesday 7AM-5PM (formerly Belize)
Progresso Wednesday 8:30AM-4PM (formerly Costa Maya)
Day at Sea Thursday (same as before)
Nassau Friday 9AM-4PM (extra time, as Progresso is closer than Costa Maya)

Belize is taking some of the hit for Costa Maya's destruction.

Bill
Sept. 18, 2010 -
Sept. 19, 2009 -
Inspiration - Jan. 10, 2010- Grand Cayman, Cozumel
Freedom - February 8th, 2009 - Key West, Grand Cayman, Ocho Rios Jamaica
Glory - September 8th, 2007 - Key West, Cozumel, Progresso, Nassau
Sensation - Freepor-Nassau
Jan. 28th, 2007 -
Sept. 10th, 2006 -
Old August 25th, 2007, 08:56 AM
First Mate

I was glad that the Fantasy was going to Key West instead of Progresso, now, they've changed it to Progresso. From what I've read, Progresso is not really a desired port. Small, not much going on, just a poor town needing some economic impact on the coastline. What's the deal? Seems a more festive port would be in the offing, instead of this one.
Old August 25th, 2007, 09:55 AM
Admiral

Seems as though the info. I got from the Carnival rep. yesterday re/ the itin. change for the Glory was correct.

I know that when there's a change in itin. there's always some who are happy and some who are not. I loved Costa Maya and could take or leave Belize. I had been to both 3-4 times. I like Keywest and have been to Progresso before. I am looking forward to taking the excursion to Chichen-Itza again so overall, I'm quite happy with the changes.
But wherever we go, a cruise to anywhere is better than staying home doing yard work, going to the store, etc.!!
Old August 25th, 2007, 10:20 AM
Admiral

So the Fantasy is going to Progresso?? How did you find out? I'm leaving in 3 weeks on the Fantasy - havn't heard a thing. However, I would rather go to Progresso than the Keys. Just my personal opinion only - don't slam me. Wherever we go - I'll have fun!
Old August 25th, 2007, 10:22 AM
Admiral

I enjoy this Port so sad
Old August 25th, 2007, 12:21 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by mehawk
Sounds like Costa Maya IS a ruin ! yikes
All joking aside, I visited Kohunlich in May. That site was well worth it, so I'm hoping this port will rise again.

Read and post cruise reviews

Read and post cruise reviews
/ticker.png">
Old August 25th, 2007, 12:53 PM
First Mate

Check this site out. http://carnival.com/CMS/static_templ...nweatherupdate

It has the Carnival going to Progresso, and a previous poster indicated that these ports were "etched in stone" til Costa Maya gets back up and running.
Old August 25th, 2007, 01:49 PM
Admiral

Turkeyman..I am copy and pasting, but it doesn't take me to a specific page
Old August 25th, 2007, 02:52 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to misguidedangel

Oh my, I had no idea a hurricane could do so much damage toa concrete structure! I was in Costa Maya in January and to think that only six sections remain. They used to be able to have three ships in port at one time, but now looking at the pics, nope.

How did the shopping area fare? I can assume that some or most had serious damage as well.

20 days, 20 days!!!!!!!

1991 Holiday
2007 Victory & Triumph
2008 Conquest & Liberty
2009 Valor, Freedom, and Splendor
2010 Glory and Liberty
2011 Glory

I gotta go where it's warm.....

Over 40 victim of fate.....
Old August 25th, 2007, 03:27 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoth
Quote:
Originally Posted by mehawk
Sounds like Costa Maya IS a ruin ! yikes
All joking aside, I visited Kohunlich in May. That site was well worth it, so I'm hoping this port will rise again.
Well said

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old August 25th, 2007, 03:42 PM
Passenger

Default Costa Maya bye bye now to Progresso

The fantasy is now going to Progresso instead of Costa Maya and shortening the time at COZUMEL I think that is terrible, they could be taking us anywhere rather than Progresso!!!!!!!!!! It is an armpit.....filthy beaches, and there is so many other ports that they could do. Carnival is NOT doing anything for the people that are booked and no refunds if you cancel, that SUCKS
Old August 25th, 2007, 03:46 PM
Admiral

Carol - I personally don't mind Progresso - however, I do wish they would not shorten time in Cozumel. Perhaps you should change to a different itinerary or something?? Where did you find the information out? I can't find it anywhere. Thanks
Old August 25th, 2007, 10:07 PM
Passenger

I too would be interested in how you know about shortening time in Cozumel? I haven't been able to find that I already have an excursion planned for there and wonder if I'll need to change it. Is Progreso really so bad? I was actually sorta excited when I saw how awesome the ruins are there...Of course, I am so sad for the people of Costa Maya and I hope to visit there some day. But I do intend to make the most of this first cruise and hope I'm not disappointed by Progreso's ruins!
Old August 28th, 2007, 03:41 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkeyman
I was glad that the Fantasy was going to Key West instead of Progresso, now, they've changed it to Progresso. From what I've read, Progresso is not really a desired port. Small, not much going on, just a poor town needing some economic impact on the coastline. What's the deal? Seems a more festive port would be in the offing, instead of this one.
Turkeyman,

Not everyone likes Progreso, but Merida is very nice. It is only 30 miles south of Progreso. Also, you can book the excursion to Chichen Itza. It has recently been named one of the seven wonders of the world. If you are interested in Mayan ruins, it is amazing. Djbilchitun (spelling!!) is only a few miles from Progreso and is also an option. Uxmal (another ruin) is also an option, and even though I haven't seen this one, I've heard that it is also worth the drive. (We hope to visit Uxmal on one of our future trips.)

Have fun, whatever you do!

Libragirl