Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 23rd, 2007, 10:45 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to CaptainEdwardJohnSmith
Default FREE INTERNET ACCESS USING YOUR LAPTOP @ MEX RIVIERA PORTS

Going to Mexican Riviera? Got Laptop?

If you take your laptop/notebook PC with you and you wanna save some
bucks, you can keep in contact from each port of call with what is going
on back home for free at these locations. These hotspots all worked as
recently as April 2007.

In Cabo San Lucas: By the Haagen Daaz Ice Cream parlor at the Paraiso Mall
It's a short 10 minute walk from the tender pier. Internet access: FREE..........single scoop ice cream cone $5.00 (that's five dollars, not five pesos )

In Mazatlan: Just outside the gated entrance to the pier/port, about 200
ft to the left as you exit, on the main drag. Must be coming from one of
the residences as there is nothing commercial immediately closeby. Hit or miss, mostly misses!

In Puerto Vallarta: At the pier/terminal, in between those 2 rows of
buildings housing all the vendors/stalls. I always connect here, very reliable connection. As a sidenote, in Puerto
Vallarta, bang across the street where the ship docks there's a Walmart.
You can purchase a World Tourist
international calling card which gives you 40 minutes of call time to the
US & Canada for approximately $9, that's under 25c a minute. The card will
also work calling IN the US, service here is thru Verizon.

In Acapulco: Outside the pier/terminal, near that big building marked
Harbor Master. You can spot it from the ship, it's maybe a couple hundred
yards to the right as you exit the terminal area. We have been to Acapulco
numerous times, this location is a hit or miss, mostly hits, but like most
things Mexican...you never know.........lol. Also, if you go downtown where all the highrises are, stop across the street from Walmart, I always seem to connect there, I am sure the signal must be coming fromn the many fancy residential condos there.

In Zihuatanejo/Ixtapa: At Marina Ixtapa, the yacht marina at the far end
of the main drag in Ixtapa. Strong signal seems to connect wherever you
are in the vicinity of the marina.

In Huatulco, walk across town to the Hotel Huatulco, I think that is what it is called, it is the pink building right at the edge of town. It is maybe like a 5-10 minute walk max from the pier. Hit or miss connection but mostly hits!

Hope someone finds these tips useful

Happy cruising everyone

Captain
Sponsored Links
Old August 24th, 2007, 12:54 PM
Admiral

any known free wireless areas in Cozumel and KeyWest?

I'll be there in June.
Old August 24th, 2007, 01:45 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle1959

I'll be there in June.
Not free, but I do the internet cafe's in Cozumel. Where the RCI ships dock within walking distance was a place that was $2 per hour. If you are on Carnival at the main downtown area, walk past the square and just past that see the laundry place, turn left and next door was a place I think I paid $3 for an hour. There is another place in near the square but it didnt open until 11 a.m. and I heard this other place is cheaper so we went there.

I always get online at the internet cafes and catch up on email to my family and friends.

Progresso I only paid $1 and after the hour they said they were not busy, I could stay on as long as I wanted for the $1 I paid. The most expensive places were like in St. Thomas where you paid by the 10 minutes and it would have been like $6 for the hour, so I only do 30 minutes in the more expensive places.

There was a jewelry store in Cozumel where if you bought anything you got a free 10 minute call to anywhere. We bought a $5 ceramic frog drinking booze under a palm tree, made in Taiwan, to call home and say hello lol. I think it was very cheap to call from this store anyway, even if you didnt want to buy something. They have the phones in the back of the store.

Carnival tells you the location of this store in their shopping talk, its on the main drag in Cozumel.

We found the pay phones in Key West to be pretty cheap and never made it to the cyber cafe, but they had one. Its still the U.S. so some can call if they have a cell phone without extra roaming rates.
Old August 26th, 2007, 02:33 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to CaptainEdwardJohnSmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle1959

I'll be there in June.

Michelle,
Last year in Cozumel I did connect close to the "new" cruiseship passenger facility, I rememebr there was, I think it was an Avis car rental office just outside the cruiseship passenger facility and I connected while I was in the vicinity of that office.
In Key West, I remember getting a signal and connecting in one of the residential streets as we walked over to Duval & South Streets, around the general area where that famous "Souhern MOst Point In The US" landmark buoy is located.
But until next June, who knows??

Captain
Old August 26th, 2007, 03:49 PM
Admiral

thanks.... I will keep that in mind. I'm still not sure I want to lug my laptop around this time.
Old August 26th, 2007, 10:37 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to cherylroy

When I go on a cruise -------- so does my laptop ----------meaning VACATION. I don't even turn it on! To much other things to do. Trust me -- if something happens here at home -- someone will find me!
Old August 26th, 2007, 11:31 PM
Captain

Just a word of warning....if you use a computer in a internet cafe in places like Cozumel, you will have some things labeled differently. Might be Spanish?? I just finally went with where I knew the keys to be and was ok. Like the del (delete) key says "supra" I think...but for the price they can label the keys however they want.
Old August 27th, 2007, 12:26 AM
Passenger

Not sure if this helps, but at Paradise Beach in Cozumel, they have two computers at the bar that you can use for 15 minutes FREE. That was all the time I needed to e-mail a few close friends and family to let them know what a great time they were missing.